360 Challenge on the public road... | FerrariChat

360 Challenge on the public road...

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by PatrickShim, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    If you drive 360 Challenge car on the public road (and get caught), what's the worst thing that can happen? Would they take the car away?

Any good excuses? Anyone with similar experiences?

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Get caught?! Hit the gas and go, you won't get caught than.

3. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Hahaha.... Yeah, that's another option.

I think I can get a previously raced 360 Challenge from a friend for about $90k. I wanted to put road tires and drive it on the road.... Hmm... Sounds like a dumb, but fun idea. :)

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

If you had dealer plates you could probably pull it off...........

5. SP_wEaZeL

SP_wEaZeL Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    Has anyone here ever been caught in California? What happened...Please, let me know!

6. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    If you had two 360's and a fake vin plate (easy to do) you could pull it off.

I am sure they could take your car if you got caught...they threatened to do so for just having German plates on my M3 and no Calif plates, though they were in the trunk.

My bigger worry is if you crash. The insurance company would bail on you in two seconds...

7. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    It depends on the state, here in Florida we drive challenge cars on the street with slicks with a dealer tag. The key is the dealer tag, we have never had a problem. Ask around the Florida section i know some people there who do it too! : ) Great idea! what color 360?

-jt

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Also, check out the supercar section, we have put about 5 Tubi Tube systems on F50s and the first enzo etc....these cars are technically not road legal with the setup, with a personal tag we get tickets, with the dealer tag they let us go. Got any family in law enforcement?? hahaha ill ask my lawyer today ive never really asked but now you have brought up a good point...
    -jt

9. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    The 360C is not street legal but the only violation would be lack of proper registration paper work (in simple terms). If you get caught breaking some other law (i.e. speeding) while driving then you will most likely get a ticket for registration as well. I am not sure if you can ignore the registration (it is a fix-a-ticket) and just pay the fine and forget about it or you have to definitely get it fixed. Find out before taking the car for a spin. If you can pay the fine w/o getting it registered... who cares just drive it.

The other way would be as one suggested get your dlr license and you can pretty much drive anything on the public roads (I think).

10. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Also isnt it illegal to drive w/o car insurance on public road? If i recall the minimum fine in CA is $1500 if you're unable to submit a proof of insurance and/or liability coverage.

11. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Are there turn signals on the CH? If not, chances are you won't get more then a few miles with such a 'loud' car..

12. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
  13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

Give me a PM if you want to know details, alot of great perks with being a dealer.

-jt

14. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Holy crap.. I never even knew such a car existed, and I drove right by it yesterday. Maybe I'll swing down there at lunch tomorrow..

-Chris

15. PJ Steamboat

PJ Steamboat Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    Nor Cal / San Diego
    I would worry about how loud and low the car is. It is a "racing" car after all.

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Let's forget the fact that it is illegal to drive a 360C on the road for a second. If you get in an accident with it and, god forbid, kill someone with it, you can believe that you will be taken to the cleaners legally. Is it really worth the risk?

If you want a challenge car for the road, get a CS.

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I drove a 360 and my g/f took the 360C up foothill in La Canada, then up Angeles Crest. We did draw the attention of the cops, but it was mainly a thumbs up. You *could* get the plate frame and placard from Ferrari of Beverly Hills and a bumper sticker that says "I'd rather be suing" or something lawyer-ly and see if you scare them off.

Depending on where you get caught, they could impound the vehicle if they know what they are looking at. Chances are it is a fix-it ticket, you can see the judge and tell him y'er trailer broke, and you needed to move the car and were not driving it any distance. You'll pay a fat ferrari-fine, but you'll get a slap on the wrist.

*This is a speculative suggestion from a cop-friend of mine and is in no way actual legal advice.

18. Orbitz007

Orbitz007 Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    PatrickShim: I've actually met a guy who drives a Lamborghini Diablo GT on the street and it has a dealer plate.... that thing is soooo loud and he is ok. So I am sure the Challenge will be just a bit louder than the Stradale and I am sure you can somehow pull it off.

19. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Loud? Did someone say LOUD? ;)

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    patrick --

Did you pursue this idea any further? I'm thinking the same thing, but I sure don't like risking losing the thing to the federales.........

james

21. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim

I talked with some people who deal with exotics for living, and they all said it is just DUMB to do that. :) I think I agree with them....

For the money to get a 360 Challenge ($79k~95k), you can get some other fun cars that is FUN and LEGAL. I think I'll just stick with my plan of saving a bit more, and get a low-mileage 550 (or a 355B 6spd)... I think that's a much better plan.

Let me know what you think.

- Patrick

22. GraduatedfromHondas

Nov 18, 2004
    Hey guys new to forum, just thought to mention if anyones interested a friend of mine is selling his 360C 01 great cond. contact me if interested.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Loud is not a problem. There are louder cars out there and the Challenge isnt that loud really. A european strasdale is louder.

The insurance is the big pb. Not worth it as it was said unless you can insure it..but how ?