Any Engineers here? | FerrariChat

Any Engineers here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bri, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bri

Bri Rookie

Nov 8, 2004
    Hi everyone! I'm new here.. I just wanted to know if there are any engineers on the board and what field you specialize in. Thanks in advance.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Chemical engineer.

3. enzo kid

enzo kid Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Chadstone Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Adrian M
    yeah im a civil engineer.

haven't got a ferrari as yet but i have a worked Fiat 124 coupe

4. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Junior in Mechanical Engineering if that counts.

5. msquared

msquared Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    my degree was in electrical engineering (2002), but now i just manage and develop in a small software development team.

cheers.

- matt

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Degreed in Physics, workd for one year in a Nuc design lab.

7. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Aerospace engineer and patent attorney.

8. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I am a Junior in Mechanical Engineering.

9. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Information Engineer.

10. Bri

Bri Rookie

Nov 8, 2004
    Matt,

Do you mind if I ask what made you do it? I mean software engineering or development is quite a huge step away from EE. Did you like playing around with programs? I'm a junior in EE myself. Did you work for an engineering company after graduation?

Thanks for replying guys.. The reason I ask is just to check the engineering population here.. I just think that if you want to fuel your "car addiction" especially a F-car, you have to own a business or have to do with the financial world.

11. msquared

msquared Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    as a sophomore in school i started interning at a small firm. they had a really cool line of products. the projects looked really fun to work on. i went in hoping to do hardware design for them. i ended up doing software instead for them. the projects were really fun and i enjoyed working on them.

next thing i knew i graduated and started working full time as an engineer on the team. after a while i was running the development of the project as the dev lead.

since our products are all combinations of hardware/software, my background in ee comes in handy. maybe not the specific skill set, but the general understanding of hardware. i mean, i'm not the one designing the boards we use, but my ee background comes in handy writing device drivers and what not.

but really, i didn't plan on doing software... it just sorta happened.

now my life is a lot of meetings, and travel, and coordinating with developers and contractors. i don't get to do a ton of development work anymore. i miss it sometimes.

- matt

12. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Aerospace

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am studying mechanical engineering in school. Not too much longer to go for me.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I'll give you another answer...

Software engineering isn't so big a step when EE includes Computer Engineering. I did a lot of software development in my EE classes.

However, for me, I thought there was more money in EE than CS. But I had professional software engineering jobs all through college... paid my way through college by working as a programmer for a major company. As I started interviewing, I found I was constantly getting TWO interviews with each company... one for the position I applied for (an EE or Hardware position) and one for a software position. All the companies were asking me, "I you sure you don't want a software position? We want you BAADDD there!" I ended up finding more money in software than in hardware, to my surprise.

That's not strictly true... and the fact that it is true at all is why we're (US companies) getting our butts kicked by the likes of Toyota...

There are some companies that have figured out its VERY VERY bad to have the ladder of advancement require engineers to stop engineering.... that it is VERY VERY bad that their managers do not engineer and, in fact, quickly become stupider and stupider at the engineering they are managing. Such silliness is common in the US, but does not happen at Toyota... and will not happen at my software company.

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  16. msquared

msquared Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    i feel the same here. i wasn't tracked for power systems or signal processing. i was tracked for computer engineering. i still had some power systems and signal processing courses, but as i advanced through my degree, i focused on the digital side, on the computer side.

by my 3rd and 4th year it was designing motherboards for 8088s (and actually building them after they were designed - that's a lot of soldering), designing and implementing processors in simulators, implementing operating systems (Nachos!).

of course there was that one signal processing class my senior year that started the first week with fourier and fast fourier transforms. it went downhill from there.

cheers

- matt

17. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Industrial engineer

18. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Chemical engineer but now a small business owner. Much more fun and certianly more dollars!

19. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Mechanical Engineer

Electromechanical Design and Thermal Inkjet printers are my specialty.

Erich
    BSME SDSU class of '81 Go Aztecs!

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    ME - working on advanced engine technologies.

21. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Aerospace engineer,at present working on the Maintenance developement of the A380 "superjumbo"

22. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I'm more of an un-civil engineer. ;) (Curmudgeons 'R' Us)

I did the Fiat 124 early, graduated to several Alfas, and worked up to a 328.
    Still working up to a 550.

23. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Mechanical Engineering Technology ... worked in the Pulsed Power (directed energy weapons, etc), Medical Device (Radiation Therapy), X-ray Security Systems, and Food Irradiation and Zapping d'Mail, industries.

I'm just a simple Project Manager ... managing one electron or photon at a time.

24. Bri

Bri Rookie

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks for your replies. Do you guys mind if you can share where you work at?

25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" --- which just sounds better than "Telling you would bore you to death". ;)