My new Boxer - First F car | FerrariChat

My new Boxer - First F car

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ralfabco, Nov 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #1 ralfabco, Nov 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few pics of my 1983 one owner California car. This is from the same owner, who sold me his 88 Countach QV. It is a nice car from Belgium. It has the nice tan dash. Red and solid tan w/ tan leather headliner. - Red boxes and red airfoil. The owner claims it came from BE that way. It has the original Pioneer equalizer and radio. - They do not work. The car shows 10,000 km. I suppose they all do ? The leather is in very good shape. I am happy with the car. I took delivery the day Bush won !! It had just stopped raining in Houston. B. Lyon from Alabama was the importer. Car # 323

The following people have helped me with Boxer advice. I had Boxer posts on the old archived board. I was running after this particular car for about a year.

(in no particular order)

Steve - Boxer Bloke / Fan 512 BBi
    Seb - Boxer Bloke / Boxer 512
    Armen / Ag 512bbi
    William Hart
    Frank Parker
    My wife. - I suppose it was o.k. ?
    Coachi - Dr. Ibrahim
    Grady Owens / President F Club of Houston. A very nice bunch of guys and gals. and other enthusiasts.

Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Beauty!! How many miles have you driven it?

3. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Bella!

Congratulations.

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congratulations and welcome to the "Boxer Club."

ENJOY THE RIDE!!

Gary

PS: I've had mine for almost exactly one year. Please feel free to write me if you have any questions, maybe I can help.

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Ralfabco..

Welcome to the Club, Heres a site to convert your Kms. to miles.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

A word of advice! always warm up boxer engine 10 minutes b4 driving it.

Heres a shot of my car, appears to be a Clone!
    Good Luck!
    Michael

BTW. what is the serial # ?

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, some folks never learn do they? I would have thought that after buying a broken down tractor from this guy that you would have never trusted him again. :)

Actually, congratulations!

Dale

7. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Great looking car. Drive and enjoy

8. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Ralph congratulations that is a beautiful machine enjoy it and drive it like it was meant to be.

9. cinevillage

cinevillage Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    LUCIO
    wonderful car,congratulations.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Love it! Interior pics pls!!

11. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Jeff: My heart said injection - My brain said carbs. I went with the heart. I doubt Frank will argue with this ? BesiDES the brain is too small.

Gary: I have alot of questions ! I have to put a list together. The profile pic you have is amazing. It needs to be on some exotic car calender. No kidding. You just need a hot gurrrl to serve you, while you are inside the car, a Coke and french fries. Nice looking garage. Mine is loaded with small bikes. The kids no better !!! Thanks for the offer. I will need it.

Dave: Only about 50 miles. My 11 year old son was concerned about the Boxer's performance ! LOL. I decided to enter the freeway at 120+. He was very impressed after that run. - Yes it was fully fully warmed up.

Michael: You are correct about the ten minutes. I did that before. I see you also have a tan dash. Very nice. The cars look quite similar. I will try to avoid hitting lots of deer; if I take the car on a huge road trip. No promises about avoiding the cops.

Dale: Another tractor comment ? This time I thought about buying a custom Camaro ? Please drive my car when you have a chance. I told Bobby I was getting one. Congrats on the C.S. Have fun in the Big Easy. You boys need to behave there. - Do not drink too many Hurricanes.

Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone else.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Ralph,

Can you tell me what you had to go through to get that car imported into the US? What did you have to do to the car?

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Dave. The car has been in the U.S. since early 1983. B. Lyon was an importer from Alabama, who brought in quite a few cars. I understood that if a car was 25 years old, it needed virtually nothing but importation papers.

However people have said that once a Boxer leaves, it cannot come back ? I do not know about 25 year old early Boxers, that have never been inside the USA ? European prices are generally more money for the Boxer. Perhaps Japan is less ? Maybe someone else knows about importing a Boxer today ?

14. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    The statement that Boxers cannot be reimported into the US once they leave is false. In fact, in 2000, I was considering importing a 1974 365BB that had previously been in the US. I even talked to Dick Merritt at the US DOT and he told me it could be imported. The key point is that the car must be at least 25 years old or else it will need to be certified as in compliance with the DOT and EPA standards. It is my belief that the misconception on reimporting Boxers came from the Feb. 1998 issue of Forza magazine. This issue contained a Boxer's buyer's guide and made a comment to the effect that Boxers could no longer be imported. I believe that, since at the time of the writing of the article (late 1997?), no Boxer was 25 years old, the author made an incomplete statement that has confused a lot of people.

15. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I stand corrected. I repeated the Forza quote in another Boxer thread.....bad dog....bad dog....got to catch'em me in the act. Sorry guys!

Roy

16. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Ralph,

Note to self: READ the person's post before asking questions!

Sorry about that... I guess I saw the word "Belgium" and disregarded the rest...

I think the 512BB/BBi is such a cool car. I saw a beautiful one with 13,000 miles at Ferrari of Long Island... red/tan, immaculate

Congrats

PS I'd like a ride in one! But all the Boxer guys seem to be NOT in NY :(

17. woodlands_vt

woodlands_vt Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    The Woodlands, TX
    Ralph:

so - after 50 miles... how does it compare to the SE30?

easier to get it out of the garage maybe? :)

18. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I talked to Dick Merritt a couple of weeks ago specifically about importing a Boxer. As long as the car is 25 years old, it is a very simple process (I believe import duty is 2.5%).

19. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Ralph,

Yes, please let me know if I can help in anyway with questions.

LOL.. I sure wish that was my garage! My profile picture is actually my car in the "cover shot" of Griot's Garage July '04 catalog #190. That's why there's Griot's products in the photo.

Here's the photo session link: http://groups.msn.com/GaryReed/griots.msnw

You've got a great looking Boxer.

ENJOY!!!

Gary

PS: I just noticed that my previous post to you was my #1,000th on FChat.
    HOW FITTING WAS THAT!!!!

20. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Your car looks just yummy, welcome to the boxer ownership exp, you wont regret it for a moment, i looked at many models especially the 456 and 512TR before I bought my boxer but I made the right choice, its what i always wanted, hope it "wears well for you" as we say here in Ireland
    some pics f my car

21. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Steve beautiful car you have there. I really analyzed all the F cars in and around what I wanted to spend. There really is nothing else. The 512TR is a nice choice. However I liked the hand built qualities of the Boxer. I also like that it is less refined. I am really tired of (for fun cars) modern refined cars. I do not want the fun car, to be as easy to drive as the beater. It really has turned out that way.

Luigi: Yes the car is easier to get out of the garage !

22. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    Hi............

Welcome to the club !! Enjoy the "rocket ship" !!!!!!

Please contact me through my Website for information of interest to Boxer owners. Would like to archive the serial number of your Boxer too.

Frank..........23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource