3M Clear Bra * Price Reference Thread * | FerrariChat

3M Clear Bra * Price Reference Thread *

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meeyatch1, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I would like to have one thread where information is listed showing price paid for the 3M Clear Bra install, where it was done, overall rating of the product and installer (1 is low and 10 is excellent), car used, and what parts were protected. Please keep the posts to this topic only so that we can more effectively use this thread as a reference and not another simply discussion thread. Here is an example of what I am looking for here:

(* Information below is for example purposes to show format. *)

Installer: Neverland Motorsports

Car: 1998 Ferrari F355

Price: $395

Product Rating: 10

Installer Rating: 10

Protected: Hood, front bumper, front fenders, both mirrors

2. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    CS Specialties
    [email protected]
    San Jose,Ca
    LLumar film,super clear film from Europe

F355,custom wrap full front bumper,headlights,hood,header,rear hood edge

mobile installation--10+

3. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Installer: Ferrari of San Francisco

Car: 2000 360 Modena

Price: $1100

Protected: Hood, front bumper, front and rear fender wells, both mirrors, door handles, gas cap wall, air scoops on the bottom behind the doors.

4. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Installer: CS Specialties

Car: 2004 360 Modena

Price: $1400

Protected: Extensive custom coverage in Llumar: Hood, front bumper, both mirrors, upper and lower intakes, A-pillars, engine compartment, door handles, sills below doors...I know I'm forgetting some...

Gary

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

How bout, $1,600? Anyone for $1,600?? Wait, that's 2 repaints.........

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    If I were in the market for a used 360, I would MUCH rather buy a car with film than a repaint.

Gary

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Is this a CA forum? LOL

I guess you guys have a lock on this.......

8. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    Installer: Jason Lemen

Car: 2003 SVT Cobra

Price: approx $400

Installer Rating: 10 (Tried to put it on myself at first. Gained a new appritiation for the men and women that install this stuff. P.S. I love how in the video it shows how easy it is for the person putting it on a vehicle with as many curves as an 89 F150! *rolls eyes*)

Protected: Hood, Front Fascia, Rocker panals, side view mirrors

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Thanks for all of the replies. After reading the replies, and considering different options, I went ahead and flew out to take the 3M Clear Bra installation class. I am making a division of my business dedicated to the 3M installation now, so if anyone needs it done, please let me know. Thanks for all of your helpful replies. :)

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting thread, as I am presently waiting (Nov 10th, 2004) for my 355 spider to get done at Autogard, in Bellevue, WA. This is the retail storefront for Stongard http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp

They are doing the "full kit" for my car which includes the mirrors, door edges, and behind each wheel arch...and the arches for the air intakes on the doors. I am also having them do the fog lights, headlights and front turn signals. With a car club discount, I think I will be in for about $550 with tax. What is nice, is if they mess up any of the film during installlation, it is no big deal for them to cut a new pattern right away. An authorized reseller would have to either try and "make do" or order a new part, or kit....which could take a while.

11. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Xpel (xpel.com)

Installer: Chris Gilbert (Dent Magic)

Car: 2004 360
    Price: $750 installed

Installer Rating:10

Protects: Hood (up to level of headlights), entire front bumper, headlights,
    and rear part of front and rear wheel wells

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Installer: me. (Xpel certified trained installer as of next week)
    Price: Varies, but typically a bit cheaper since I have access to a 62" plotter, where most are 42-48" plotters. Just inquire for pricing & installation.

13. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Dave - I did the exact same thing on my 355 and am very pleased. I went with a thicker element on the lights & signals. Been on over 2 years now and still looks brand new. Only drawback is 1/2 point deduction on concours, but well worth it.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, I have a similar kit installed on my BMW 540 and the stuff on the lights is considerably thicker to protect the glass. I did have the door "cups" peel up at the corners, but they redid them quickly and at no charge when pointed out a few months after the install.

That is what is so nice with dealing with the "factory". They just punch in the numbers and out come the peices, all cut and ready to install!

Dave

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Even when you are dealing with a professional installer, the pieces will be ready to cut just like that as well. You can either have the kit ordered, which will be precut, or have a plotter in hand to do the template cutting.

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Installer: Clearbra sent somebody...

Car: '89 328

Price: $500

Protected: most of the front right before the wheel arch part of the fender

17. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My friend, Richard, and I searched from all the clear tape protection systems here and abroad that are being used now. We ended up using the 3M tape product from a company called Invinca-shield.com.
    My friend is now an installer and supplier of the product for anyone who wants to do thiers themselves he can supply you with the product.
    Once you do a few pieces you get the hang of it. The big difference between all of the manufacturers is the installers and the lack of quality control. The material is not expensive though. Probably the most difference between the companies is the size of the pieces when you get to large pieces and how well they cut their pieces from the original templates and how well they were adapted to all of the radiuses.

18. speedvet

speedvet Rookie

Dec 20, 2004
    I had a horrible experience with Stongard in Norcal. On my 04 M3, I actually had it redone a total of 3 times! The first time, there was debris and dirt. The second time was worse, there was lifting in certain curved areas and a lot of wrinkles. They redid it the 2nd time and it came out worse than the first, so I decided to bring it to another company. This second company, no longer in business, was even worse. There were large wrinkle lines all over and the company claimed this is because they had to streetch the bra to get it to fit and that my car was a tough car to do. By this time, I had already spent $1600 on the clearbra and I was very frustrated. These two companies by Stongard all claimed they had many years of experience in this type of installation.....blah blah

Fortunately, I was on mbworld.org and came about a company named Premier Mobile Aesthetics Group. They specialized in high-end vehicles, so I decided to give them a call. The guy I spoke to, Sam, sounded like he knew what he was saying and explained why my previous bras came out the way they did. So I gave this company a chance and dropped $750 for a new one. I stayed and watch him install the bra because I was still pretty nervous about having it done.......afterall, it's my 4th time!

All I can say is they did an perfect job. No dust, no wrinkles, and no lifting. They paid attention to every detail even down to tiny debris that I couldn't even see. I'm sorry guys, but I would have to give these guys a 20!

I had them do my 996 Turbo, which is supposedly much tougher, but it came out just as nice. These guys did not use 3M and I was a little skeptical at first, but the film looks much better IMO. They used Venture Tape and it came with a lifetime warranty, so it gave me some assurance that the film will not yellow over time. I think 3M only has a 5 yr warranty. So far so good! Here's a recap:

Premier Mobile Aesthetics Group - mobile svc in entire norcal

04 M3 - $750
    Product Rating - 20
    Installer Rating - 20

04 996T - $790
    Product Rating - 20
    Installer Rating - 20

19. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Ditto;;;;;

Dealer had it done for me for 550.00

20. rockinj

rockinj Rookie

Dec 22, 2004
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Interestingly enough, I had just talked to someone about installing a clear bra on my '03 Porsche 996. When I saw the bra on his car, I was amazed by the fact that you could barely see it. You would have to look in certain areas in order to find bra on the car. I think it is a great idea especially if you really want to protect the paint on your car. But my buddy also told me to be very careful about who to go to for installation because of the different quality of work. He recommended that same company, Premier Mobile Asthetics. He told me that some companies do less than quality jobs and that I might have to get the installation done more than once. So I talked to one of the guys there named Sam and asked about the details towards installing a clear bra. He was very honest and forward with me about what he was all about.
    So I had him install a bra on car was very amazed by the quality of work that he did. It was great. From just a few feet, I truly couldn't see where the lines were. It was so clear that my buddy couldn't tell that I had just installed one. So I would have to say that I had a great experience with Sam and his team. As far as location, I don't know if they are just around NorCal or if they have other places. I'd find out if I were you though. Trust me, getting a clear bra is worth it!

Car: '03 Porsche 996 $750

21. Paintshield

Paintshield Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2004
    Grantham UK
    Full Name:
    Tom Wakeford
    Two main companies in the UK
    WWW.Paintshield.co.uk 30 (us) installers throughout the UK
    Operations set up in Sweden Belgium and France as well as In Saudi and shortly Dubai. Prices vary from installer to installer within the chain depending on location of installer (London overheads higher than Bolton or Stockport for example) Typical prices for full protection Between £500 to £600 per car (on the car prices for360,s and Challenge Stradale. We are basically XPEL outside the Americas and use the same Systems training and design criteria as them. Also offer a variant of the Xpel warranty (www.xpel.com) All pre-cuts no cutting on the car or taking it apart.

Also www.armourfend.com (Bob Jacksons outfit) Long standing UK and international supplier good outfit smaller UK distribution chain than us but currently wider spread overseas (outside US)

Both of us can do custom Jobs and carry 3m Film and are certified 3M partners with approved training courses and procedures, Both bob and us are competiive organisations and believe in maximising customer service.

If in the UK Give either of us a call preferably us (Just Kidding Bob if you are reading this), we both also go for the fewest possible pieces approach to minimise lines and seams on the car.

In the US probably the biggest players are XPEL, with I believe I am right in saying the largest number of installers in North America they also have operations in Canada and Mexico (as well as us over the Pond).

We will also fly installers out to those parts where there is no installer coverage if needed. outside the Americas only.

Cheers

Guam