UK USA UK | FerrariChat

UK USA UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Oengus, Nov 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Wondering if any of you UK born Fchatters have moved to the USA and then moved back to the UK. If so I'm curious as to your thoughts and such in regards to the experiance.

Thanks

2. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    I did exactly that. Left home at 21 and moved to NY for 3 months then to L.A. for a further 6 years. Came home because I got fed up with earthquakes (sat through a 6.1), and also to start a family (we wanted our kids to be English rather than American.) Did everything over there, sky diving, scuba diving, snow skiing, water skiing, aerobatics, gliding, hot air balloon rides, white water river rafting.... the list goes on and on.

Had the best 6 years of my life living in L.A. and often regret coming home. Highly recommend a stint across the pond.

Nigel.

3. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Indeed, I have lived in Princeton, near New York, for 4 years and Florida for 6 months. I was quite young first time, so went to 'public' school there (o course American version of public, not UK version).

Unfortunately my education suffered (according 2 my parents and I tend to agree) and moved me first to private school in princeton, then back to UK school in the bottom class to catch up.

I really loved both experiences and would not change it for anything, as I had the support of people around me both times. I'm pretty open minded I guess, but in the end I feel most at home in London.

Second time I was working, I don't really fit in with some of the work ethics in the IT industry in the US (or perhaps the two projects I did), or rather don't like them. Hence I would prefer to working in Europe going forward.

Ade

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I was born in Salt Lake City Utah, live in the UK. I am a american working in the UK with a full Visa, since my mum is English and my Dad is american too.

5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Studied at the Uni of Chicago for one year of my degree. Had a great time, probably the best year of uni. But I was more than happy to leave the country as long term I did not want to settle in that culture. I'd rather my kids are bought up anywhere else than the US.

Also the mindset of the average american that I met was a bit shallow for my liking. I found like most that most americans didnt and still dont have a clue what is really going on outside their own borders.

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks for the replies..................any of you guys know of a good Head Hunter in the U.K. ??

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Well said Adnaan!
    F.E.I`m 7-8 times a year in Dallas /TX. Its always funny to watch the "News" on TV.
    30 minutes!
    20 minutes Dallas and surrounding (mostly criminal/horrible news)
    5 minutes Texas and Don`t mess with Texas;)
    and the very last 5 minutes are called "Beyond Texas"!
    No, thats not the rest of the world - just the rest of the USA:D
    -how should they know?-

8. AlexeonF40

AlexeonF40 Rookie

Nov 11, 2004
    Hello everyone, im a new yank on here, but i doubt for long.

I live between Boston and London and find there are huge benefits for both places, and i love both places.

If you can stand being surrounded by Yanks and Mcdonalds all the time, you might find out that the US really is a stunning country !

Well worth considering my friend

9. AlexeonF40

AlexeonF40 Rookie

Nov 11, 2004

What type of work is it your looking for and what area ?

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Alexeon............you have a pm