tracked Ferrari | FerrariChat

tracked Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rod, Nov 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Chaps...

I am looking at a 328 that has been used on the ferrari track days, (various circuits) The owner says that it has done approx 150 miles but has been serviced and prepared by a top racing team...

Would you buy a car that has been used on the track?

Any pro's/con's?

Rod

2. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    hi rod these cars are usually meticulously maintained, is is a private or dealer sale?

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Hi Rod and Welcome,

I think theres a clear difference between the cars usage on the track,

Ie : Thrashed on the track or Used for trackday fun.

Hope that makes sense ..

Joe :)

4. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    My rule of thumb was, if it's had any modifications for the track (kill switch being the most obvious) steer well clear. 328s aren't rare (unfortunately) so hold out for one that's been lightly used, got a clean history and stacks of evidence of TLC. They all go for around £30-35k after negotiation so for a few £000 you get peace of mind.

jg

5. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Guys..

I understand that the car has been well looked after by Damax? ( any one heard of him)? , it is an 86 RHD with 40k miles & full history. the mods are a removable ferrari roll cage, racing seats & standard cream seats, sports exhaust & original, two sets of 328 alloys road/track tyres.

Surely the car should be well set up & sharp?
    Its a fair price at 23k

Thoughts?

6. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Good price that. Have done research on 328's and with that Spec you should rip it out of his hand. Anyone suggest places to look for notorious damage? Engine blocks etc etc

7. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Lee

What year is yours and where did you buy it from?

Rod

8. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I dont have one mate, profile is from one of the most recent windups. 328 on wish list for feb. Know a kid who has one and may sell and its in amazing condition.

9. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Glad it was a wind up cause I was wondering where I went wrong in life...lols
    who's selling a 328? rhd/lhd?

R

10. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    lee

PM me with details..

Rod

11. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If you track your car regularly, then any faults are likely to show themselves pretty quickly. So they are likely to have been sorted out.

Whereas a car that only gets used lightly and infrequently might have all manner of things waiting to go wrong???

The market seems to favour the lightly used cars, but there may be a bargain to be had if you are into your track days?

I guess it all depends on how you plan to use it.

12. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    I have got a 328. Bought it from KHPC a couple of years ago, paid £35k but it's very well documented and has never been stood idle. £23k is v.low for a good one. If they put a roll cage and buckets in they did more than 150 miles on the track - sounds v.fishy to me. Never heard of Damax and I am a bit of an anorak on Ferrari dealers. I have a spreadsheet tracking all the advertised 328s over the past few years and I haven't seen any for less than a £28k 53k mile on Foskers had in April.

If you want the spreadsheet dend me your e-mail. It's got all the 355s too. Usual caveat: no warranty it's complete etc.

To put the risks into £s:

An engine rebuild is £8k. A new engine £11k (but you can sell the old one for about £2-3k if it's not totally knackered).

I'd buy a good 308 ahead of a risky 328 anytime.

jg

13. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Jamax are well known in the Ferrari racing world. They advertise in the FOC magazine.

14. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks for your input guys... I suppose a full inspection will hopefully give me an idea of the engines condition..

I will keep you informed..

15. twotoomany

twotoomany Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    Damax rent race cars primarily 355 Challenges They attend LOTS of trackdays and rent cars out for the day for testing by potential renting racers.
    Ask if this 328 as been used for this purpose if it as steer clear it would of had aparticuly hard life. Driven by many different drivers, hard.

TWOTOOMANY

16. 355 yel

355 yel Rookie

Feb 8, 2004
    AYLESBURY BUCKS
    Full Name:
    NEIL GOSLING
    Hi Rod, must join in on this one .....having been a big ferrari nut for all my life can tell you that Damax prep and service road and track cars alike and come highly recommended here in the mid south.I know the car you are thinking of and so do many other f-chatters, its well looked after and has only been used in the classic series this season by its owner , the car was supplied to him by Terry Keys Motorsport at silverstone. Terry Keys maintains my 355 spider and i also rate him. Good value for the money mate
    and will give you lots of pleasure i'm sure.
    Regards Neil.