Is this Ferrari Ad language appropriate? | FerrariChat

Is this Ferrari Ad language appropriate?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LAfun2, Nov 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I was kind of taken aback reading this and was curious how the rest of you perceive this ad

In the same ad, they say, if you bought the car they are selling then:
    Maybe its just me, but for some reason these parts of the ad really doesn't sit well with me. I wonder what these guys put in their ads when they are trying to sell 328s, 360s, 550s. Thoughts?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sounds like a certain Boxer owner here.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Well, we do have a 12 cylinder snob or two around the site but we shouldn't let it get to us. He owned a number of 8 bangers too at one time. He is no better now as he was then. Besides, we all have to start somewhere.

Personally I would never snear at a Dino driver or a V8 driver. Their passion and dedication is no less than the average 12 cylinder driver.

As one Fchatter said, "It's not about the cars, it's about the people". He said it in the following thread;

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29243&highlight=15

Oh yeah, there was not a 12 cylinder in the bunch.

4. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    To Ryan,
    Is that Bart? His quotes are always said - never drive less than a 12 cylinders F-cars, somewhat in that order. I think he love his 550 Maranello a little bit too much.

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Guys,

Sorry I didn't mean to say anybody (Fchatter) said this quote. It was by a car dealer who sells Ferraris and other high end cars.

What I was surprised by, that it seemed, if I had a 328 or other v8 ferraris but was just adding a 12 to the stable, I would be offended by their language.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think Bart says it out of love of the engine and not as much as rubbing ones face in it. At least that is the way it comes across to me.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Ryan -- although I am a 12 cyl owner (and lusting for an 8), for me the copy is offensive because it's stupid. Having written enough ad copy in 25 years, I think it's offensive because it's off-target, doesn't portray the 3XX owner in a very positive way, and provides superficial reasons for an 'upgrade'.

550=Corvette? I can probably think of a better reason to buy a shark......

Brings to mind my old lament: "everybody's a copywriter/designer/architect'lawyer" (name your poison).

waaaay too many people selling "high-end" cars these days........

james

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    All you guys have to do is look at the market. Which cars do people buy? It's the v8 cars..not the 12's. The v8 cars is what people buy and that is why they hold there value better then the 12's. There is zero demand for a 456 and the 550 is getting close. Nothing loses value faster then a V12 anything. They are just jelous..thats all;)

9. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I believe you're referring to Motorcars International which seems to be a fair and respectable dealer based on many posts here. I also believe this is Bruce's former TR in this eBay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4501314306&category=6212

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I was wondering if that was Bruces. Would love to have it.

12. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Rob, kid of like an old penny... I just keep showing up every now and then! :)

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Bob you are correct. I know they are a very reputable dealer and I know it is Bruce's old car. Because of those two reasons, I didn't post the ad, and just used the language to gauge an honest response.

Knowing that Motorcars International is a good dealership will change opinions of people on that ad. I didn't want that to happen, and wanted an honest evaluation of the ad, thus didn't decide to post the whole thing. :)

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm more offended by their hyphenated "Pinin-Farina" and the linguistically confused "El Cavallino."

BTW, notice Bruce's new ride at the bottom of the page?

15. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    I have met Bart many times. He is a very friendly guy and does not hate or look down apon people in non 12 cylinder cars. He just loves his 550, the car itself. I believe he has WAY over 60,000 miles on his car by now. He's just a great guy with a great passion for 12 cylinder cars.

Just my .02.

16. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I think the "12-cylinder snob" comments were directed to Frank Parker (Parkerfe or something like that)

I always read Bart's comments as being pure enthusiasm for his machine, and I think Frank's often come off as being a bit condescending.

Just my .02 :)

17. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Im a 12 cylinder guy, but i respect the 8s

18. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    To David,
    I met and break bread with Bart several times on those drive and dine events. He seems very nice and friendly guy. No bad intentions on my part. I just think he loves his "dirty" 550 little much. See my past post

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30492&highlight=bart

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think that they think that informed buyers wouldn't pay above market for a car. ;)

While the classic V12s are lovely engines, and the 550 is no slouch, there's something to be said for the utility of a "kick-around" 328. Sort of like the difference between going to the market in a comfortable sweatshirt versus wearing a tux. ;)

While I'd love to be able to play with a classic 250TR60, I'd never drive it to the market, or to work, or ... just when would I actually get to use such a car?

The 550 would fit the same bill, for someone whose budget is a bit higher than mine -- something comfortable to use regularly. (Especially if they regularly use higher speed roads than the local gridlock.)

But people writing ads tend to delve into hyperbole. Advertising isn't reality. Do you really think your dog won't like you if you have bad breath? I mean, if he didn't go for your throat when you had him neutered, ... ;)