vintage cavallino and modern trident | FerrariChat

vintage cavallino and modern trident

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lukek, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I suppose I have a soft spot for 2+2s. They are so usable. I was originally going to get a 355 or a 360 to keep my old 250 GTE company, but I went for the 390hp beast, instead. At least in the interim. There is still a Modena in my future....I also thought long and hard about a 456, but it would have been too flashy for an everyday commuter, not to mention the more expensive maintenance, out of warranty bills, and the initial $25K price premium.
    So here is my little photo essay. I think that they make a nice pair (cars and kids)

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sweet! Looks great Luke. Enjoy them in good health.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is a great combination! I have to admit, the Maser does grow on a guy.

4. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Luke,

Great combo.

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Thanks.

3 more...

6. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Luke, you have beautiful kids, not to mention great taste in cars. ;)

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    From the picture phone series....just one more, a pic of the arrival of the Fcar roommate. The driver showed up early. He said that he did 1000 miles a day at one point?!!! Is that humanly possible, or does one need to be on speed?
    I was the last car to get unloaded, so I did not see anybody else's. Carol, the driver, called me on the cell when he was within half oan hour of the house. Unloading took place right when all the neighbors were going to work. Oh, well...
    If you ever have to it, I would recommend Passport Transport. (FChat sponsor, Intercity, was not able to pick up for another month)

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Luke -- Apologies for hijacking your thread momentarily but this brought back vivid memories: I've always been a bit jaundiced about those (ex) 2-tone green carriers, since in 1997 I followed (and later passed) one of their trucks on I-80 West in the week before PB & Monterey. The truck was doing 75+ downhill into Auburn, CA, with 2!! trailer tires stopped! and smoking madly. I pulled up even with the tractor, leaned on my horn, gesturing at the back of his rig. The cab windows were smoked dark; after 'couple of miles of this I gave up and moved on, not wanting to be part of the conflagration. Never knew if he paid any mind or not. He certainly didn't slow down! And I never heard any stories about concours Dusenbergs splattered over I80. From then on I used another carrier tho.......

Glad the Maser arrived unscathed.
    james

end of hijack...

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    There was a really horriffic crash that involved several 356 Speedsters. A train hit a transporter full of Porsches. The driver got the trailer stuck on a grade crossing. It got written up here and in Sports Car Market.
    "Stay clear of things bigger than you" is not a bad motto for the highway.

10. wachuko

wachuko Rookie

Dec 24, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Jaime O. Diaz
    First of all you have a beautiful family!! And it is nice to see that your share the passion with them.

How do you like your Maserati? I tell you, it is not common to see a GT (manual)... A few months back I was searching for a second hand Maser with a stick to no luck (at least here in Orlando, FL).

Anyway, any words on your experience so far with the car are welcome.

BTW - Those photos must have been over the weekend at Oracle. Not too many people walking around the 300 building.

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Beautiful cars and kids. I am a 2+2 afficionado as well.

Regards,
    Dom

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    There seems to be a guy just like you in the corporate database ! Also in Florida !
    :)
    The 6 speed is fantastic. At first, I had issues with the way the car took off from a standing start, but all I had to do was to turn off the traction control, and it now feels normal. I kind of wanted the Cambio Corsa for the novelty of it, but I was scared off by the short clutch life and complexity of the pumps/hydraulics (I see Maserati/Citroen service costs after the warranty is over).
    The car does everything well. It has an extremley comfortable ride, but also handles great on secondary roads with the Sport mode on (I would not get one without the skyhook). It has more power than anyone really needs, sub 5.0 second 0-60 run and 177 mph top speed. Interior is truly sumpteous, with a few original touches. Ergonomics are not great, but if you look up my title in the corporate db, you will see why I am tough to please in that dept.
    The car is also exotic, without being flashy. Almost low profile to the general public, but with plenty of approving nods from the cognescenti.
    And the value. A used one is close to half the MSRP, so I could not get more performance, style, and exclusivity for the same money. Not to mention, like you said, the 2+2 arrangement allows me to include the family. I will have to agree with you with regard to the "beatiful" characterization...Thanks.

BTW, about a week ago, I saw my clone car on ebay, a 6 speed in Rosso Bologna. And it was in Florida, if my memory serves. Search "Completed auctions" on ebay.

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, the Maserati does not hold any value from new so it is best to buy used as you can. 50 precent off from new is a VERY smart move PLUS not going with the F1 system as well since we have all heard about the clutch life (lack thereof actually) and costs to fix. Just wondering, does Maserati ask for thousands of dollars for a mere software upgrade like Ferrari does? Just curious.

Congratulations on a very well thought out purchase! You saved tens of thousands and avoided paying many thousands when the F1 clutch system chews through parts.

Enjoy The Drive :)

Steven R. Rochlin

14. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Luke,

You are a very luck guy. Well done. And the cars are nice too.

15. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    As far as I know, all the coupes in warranty are getting the software updates at no charge, particularly the new CC versions.

And here is a 2002 in Naples, Florida, bid away, or @57,9K buy it now ! There is another 6 speed on ebay, also rosso bologna, in cinncinati. I thought I had a rare car !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4503714213&category=6313&sspagename=WDVW

16. wachuko

wachuko Rookie

Dec 24, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Jaime O. Diaz

Yes, I saw that one... just can't get over the interior, not to my taste. I will need to hold off for 8-12 months before buying another car . Back when I started looking for one I made the mistake of going into a VW dealer and purchased the VWR32 that they were just parking in the showroom... call it College remorse or whatever... cute little car but I need something else... and my mind has been going to the Corvette C6, a new Porsche (I will keep the 964, and 951 that I have) or a Maserati... I know, different cars... but I can't make up my mind.