My new Garage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My new Garage

Discussion in 'New England' started by Birdman, Aug 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Here's the latest...it's coming along.

Birdman

2. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bird Man,

Looking Good!

-Michael

3. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    any more pics

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The architects who designed the addition are keeping a little web page of the construction process with pictures from each phase that I send them. It's pretty cool. Starts with the footing and continues. They update it about every 2 days.

http://www.browndogdesigns.com/mainhtml/custom_design/additions/bird/const/bird_update.htm

This coming week we have a large amount of work cut out for us finishing the roof framing and the front dormer. I hope to have it shingled and waterproof in 2 weeks. Today the crushed stone was spread out in the garage and we should hopefully have the floor poured shortly, so I'll have an elevation to finish framing the garage doors, etc.

Birdman

5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Looking good. I cannot wait to see the finished product!

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Been working all day every day and it's coming along. I'm doing rebar tomorrow for the floor. I learned that framing a gable dormer is a bit complicated...but it's in!

Birdman

7. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Birdman-

Take today's rain as an opportunity to determine whether there is bad glue on any of the plywood panels you are using for your roof!

We just had a garage and family room built onto our house (I don't have the stones to do it myself! :) and we had a torrential rainstorm before the roof was covered and shingled. Two or three panels buckled, presumably from inferior glue. Far easier to replace them now then to have the glue prematurely fail later on and buckle the roof with the paper and shingles on it!

-Gio P

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Gio,
    That's good advice. When my house was being framed, the framer (who I think is really good) liked getting the framing rained on really good a couple times. The bad studs would buckle and warp. Then he would pull them and replace them. He really felt that it helped to find the bad wood before the walls were all sheetrocked. The thought was that eventually those studs would warp within the wall and crack the sheetrock if not found and removed in advance.

My issue with rain is that the end of my house is vulnerable and the water can get in if I'm not careful. Hence, the massive tarp. Having seen the results of a flood on a friends house that was absolutely totalled by a frozen/burst water pipe while he was on vacation, I'm not taking any chances.

Today we started shingling the back roof. Man, what a lot of roof! But also today the guys showed up to pour my floor. Yesterday we put down 1/2" rebar on 18" centers throughout the floor, with extra (on 9" centers) under the bay with the lift. The floor guy saw it and said "Holy cow, that's enough steel to support a bridge!" He approved but thought I went way overboard! (You can never have too much rebar, man!)

The cool thing is that they spent TEN hours on the floor. After the usual leveling bars and floats, then they went over it dozens of times with a giant thing that looked like an upside down helicopter with paddles. It's the wet-concrete version of a floor buffer. The floor is so smooth that it literally looks like glass. I'm going to take a picture in the morning. It squeeks when you walk on it in sneakers. I have never in my life seen a concrete floor so smooth. I asked around for the best guy that does floors in this area. I paid top dollar, but this floor is the finest I have ever seen, and with rebar under it, it's strong enough to park a sherman tank on it. BTW, it's 8" thick at the back, sloping to 5.5" thick at the doors (so water rolls out) and about 9" thick under the lift mounts. (I dug down and put depressions under there so the concrete was really thick there.) Yee haa, this is one serious friggin garage! (Can you tell I'm psyched?)

Birdman

9. Giovanni_P

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    That's awesome- I had never heard of a floor being finished to that level of refinement before. The floor in our garage is 6-8" thick (slopes to the front as you describe) but is reinforced with 3/16" mesh as opposed to re-bar. Structurally, yours sounds pretty well sorted out! On the other hand, the idea for a lift in my garage was vetoed, so I don't necessarily need the reinforcement.

I was happy with the way our floor came out until the plasterer came in and plastered all the walls. The staging rental company dragged the steel staging across our floor and left all kinds of gouges in it. They will be filled in, but it will certainly not be as smooth as it was the first time. I should hit the contractor up for a coat of epoxy paint!

What are you putting in above the garage? Editing suite for underwater footage?

(I still have a copy of "Beneath the North Atlantic" that I need to have you sign!)

-John P

10. ferrari fernatic

BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    london
    Full Name:
    Fawad
    looks like your builders are going to make quite a nice job of it.

11. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    Hey Gio P,

hows things at work? you got a new house? or is it the same one you had?

Things are cool at the new company. we should PM to catch up!

Bill

12. Giovanni_P

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    BillH-

Same house, now 1100 square feet bigger. Work's great! PM sent w/ more details.

There's another Fcar around the place now- Ron has his 88.5 Mondial 3.2 on the road till November sometime.

-Gio P

13. Giovanni_P

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I take it back- our accounts on Fchat aren't set up for PM (in my case) or email (in yours).

Shoot me an email- you know, [email protected]-

so I can get your address. I have a good Enzo story for you.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm still working....the roof is about 7/8 done. Doors are on order...just need to frame them.

Birdman

15. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Very nice, you should be able to work on the inside fixtures in a warm/dry enviroment soon before winter arrives. The Tyvek insulation is great for wind, best thing we did on our garage. Hopefully, the whole project will be completed before the first snow fall. Please keep us updated.

16. Giovanni_P

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Keep going, Birdman, the place looks great! Here's some incentive for you. Now that our garage is finished, our 2 black cars (wife's Camry and my 300ZX) have been inside and have remained spotless for a record 10 consecutive days! We have tons of oak trees around our place, so I was out washing the car every couple of days during the summer and fretting about acorn dents in the fall. Now the cars just stay under cover and spotless all the time.

This is probably a little funny to those of you who have always had garages, but I find myself just sticking my head in there from time to time to admire the shiny machinery!

Plus, now I can detail my Z while my daughter runs around in the garage. We don't have anything in there yet but the cars!

-Gio P

17. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Further to the earlier picture on Page 1 of my 2-car garage functioning as a 3-car garage with the addition of a 4-post storage lift, here is the very latest 4-car version with a post and beam saltbox overhang added for parking an everyday driver (this also avoids the manadatory manual opening/closing of traditional swing-open carriage house doors as required for the fully enclosed bays).

We're ready for winter now, and the plow is even saddled up if needed tomorrow...

Kind Regards, Chris

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, the weather is getting colder but I'm still at it. The doors are in finally. I will probably end up doing the siding on the end in the spring at this point. I'm waiting for the half round window for over the other window in the dormer before I can finish siding that and get the shutters on.

The 308 will be finally coming home as soon as the driveway is graded this week!

Birdman

19. SPHFerrari

SPHFerrari Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2004
    Mass
    Full Name:
    Spenser
    looks great! congrats

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Chris,
    I really like your "car port" addition on that garage. A car port type thing is actually the best way to treat your winter driver. It's my experience that cars driven in winter actually rust faster when garaged every night. They warm up in the garage, and the salt works faster eating the metal (not to mention eating your garage floor). If the car stays out in the cold, the process is slower. My old Honda Civic that I sold running perfectly with 210,000 miles had ZERO rust. It was always kept outside in the rain and snow. Meanwhile, I have a friend with the same car that had a lot of rust. He kept his in a garage. A carport is the ultimate compromise. It keeps the snow off but it keeps the car at ambient temperature so it won't rust. A very good idea!

Birdman

21. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    what did you do with the AC window units? central AC?

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I can tell you're from FL....I took them out for the winter...it's damned cold up here! :) But in the long run, we will be going to central AC. It's on the list of things to do. I specifically had the house built with forced hot air heat to accomodate AC.

Birdman

23. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    good job.
    Nice thought out garage. Can't wait to see the finished product with pictures etc.
    It is a pet project. I can tell. Took me two years to complete mine and really it is not done yet.

Think about Air Jack hoses in the walls and lighting lines, power outlets etc. before you close the walls. Cable for garage door openers etc. Think about putting a little compressor outside of the garage but run the airhoses to that location and power. Just a thought.

Martin

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #49 Birdman, Dec 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, it has been a YEAR since an update here and I'm embarrassed to say that I have not come as far on this as I expected. Seems as though my wife wanted a sunroom off the back of the house that I had to build this summer and it slowed progress on the garage.

The garage was finally insulated a couple months ago. I hate insulating and it's cheaper to have it done than you can do it yourself so I hired that out. I also hired out the sheetrocking because I don't have any friends left that are stupid enough to want to help me sheetrock a garage with 12 foot high ceilings using the 5/8" fireshield drywall required by code. I couldn't believe it but the guys I hired used 14 foot long pieces that weigh like 150 pounds each.

Today my Modine "hot dawg" heater showed up and I hope to have it installed and running in the next week. The kerosene heater I'm using now is very stinky, but I need heat for the spackle to dry. Sheetrocking in the winter blows.

I hope to have a garage-warming party in February. Needless to say, the rooms above the garage haven't been touched yet!

Birdman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #50 judge4re, Dec 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017