348 cat replacement | FerrariChat

348 cat replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by PassionIsFerrari, Nov 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Anyone replaced their cats on a 348ts? Is it tough...thinking about tackling the job myself....Pics would be awesome. Cant find any threads on it in the archives...

thanks

2. 4RECCCXLVIII

4RECCCXLVIII Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Are you just swapping your cats for new ones or putting in Test Pipes? Once my test pipes arrive in the mail I'll be installing them. I will photograph the steps best I can, but I believe it is a pretty easy straight forward swap. (Expecting them in next week or two - I hope).

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just changed mu muffler on my 91 and it is pretty straight forward job. (The cats are halfway off when removing the muffler)

4. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Its a piece of cake...max 2-3 hour job and really only requires loosening of 4 bolts per cat and removal of the O2 sensor.

My suggestion is to spray some penetrant on the bolts the night before and leave it sit over night. The day go out and see if you can crank them off with a regular wrench.

Pretty simple and if you want my 2cents I would put test pipes on. I am just intoxicated with the sound of mine after 3 years and 12000 miles including many 5+ hour trips.

Its not annoying at all IMHO if you keep the RPMs low (3500-) on the highway. Wind noise is much worse.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The hardest part is removing the O2 sensors. Mine were darn near frozen solid. Agree... soak those bolts overnight or use some PB Blaster.

In fairness, it's a 2 hour job if you have a lift and no real problems. The bolts are easy to reach, but there's not much room to twist a wrench or ratchet. If you're using jackstands, make sure everything is chocked and secure. You'll likely be using some good force/muscle to loosen things.

-Daniel

6. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Yeah, I am going with Tubi test pipes. No emmisions down here..This will be my first ferrari job, so i am nervous.

7. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    I've just done my test pipes and my muffler. My '89 348 had both oxygen sensors and heat sensors on the cats. Be firm but gentle with them and they will come off. No secrets here, lots of penetrating oil and just undo the bolts.
    I'm doing a sound file for my exhaust this weekend and will post a pictorial w/sound bytes next week. My system is all Stebro.

8. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
  9. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Where did you get your test pipes? How much?

10. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    have replaced my cats with test pipes, car runs great, significant increase in HP.

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aaron--

Just be REAL careful with the thermocouples (one on each cat) and oxygen sensors (one on each cat)... they're real fragile, and any manhandling of them will result in not only broken parts but flashing lights on your dashboard!

12. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    I bought Tubi Test pipes from HG Parts...They are a sponser here, click on their ad and it will go straight to their website...Paid $350 for the set, that includes shipping.