Driving my first Fcar home tomorrow | FerrariChat

Driving my first Fcar home tomorrow

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by lear60man, Nov 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Tomorrow I am off on a commercial flight to meet my new lady in Oregon. Rain or shine Saturday morning I am driving her south, spending the night in the SFO area and continuing onto LA Sunday. 1991 TR with a fresh major service. I cant think of a better way to get accuainted with her than by putting a few hundred miles on her. So when is that new CC meet?
    Christian

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Congratulations! And drive safely.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Christian, that is great news! Is that the Grigio one? Can't wait to see it!

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Christian,

Congrats on the purchase. Where abouts in SFO are you staying? I might be in the area..and would love to treat you to a quick bite if you have time. :)

I do the Seattle--LA trip two times a month at least. Watch out for cops on the I-5. :)

5. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Have fun with the drive, and be safe!

When you get back, post some pictures!

6. sk90077

sk90077 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2004
    Congrats ! Im sure it will be a great feeling

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Congrats! Make sure your AAA is up to date just in case ;)

8. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    that drive south after getting your TR will really get you accuainted with your car

9. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Congrats and have a safe drive! (bring your Valentine one!) :)

B.

10. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Neither can I. Congrats!! and Enjoy!!

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I am so nervous and excited at the same time. Every indicator is that the car is pristene but I am nervous as hell to make the trip. I mean alot can happen in 7-800 miles.....a bird can sh*t on it for pete sake. Seriously I bought about 4 rolls of 3" white masking tape to tape the nose and mirrors for protection untill I can get the 3m clear stuff. It will blend in with the white paint. I am taking my digital camera and computer with me to document the trip.
    Christian

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Christian, an alternative to the white masking tape is the painter's blue masking tape, by 3M. Home Depot et al sells it. I recommend this particular tape because of the relative lack of adhesion as well as it is used by car detailers to mask off areas on the car when detailing. Sure, you might get some looks with the blue on white, but what the hell, you are driving a F-car ... like know one is going to notice you with out the blue tape!

Many of my friends who drive their cars to Car shows (HB Concour d'Elegance, Palm Springs etc.) typically will tape up the leading surfaces or other "risk" areas with the blue tape ... when they arrive at the show, peel the tape right off, spray a little bit of show'n shine and all is good.

I second what Byron says - do take a radar detector. CHP is using an instant-on radar gun which gives you little time to react. Also, through the Central Valley, the CHP will use chase vehicles that are typically white (not blue!) and will have clear light bars ... very difficult to spot.

Good luck, drive safe, and enjoy the ride!

13. Ritz

Ritz Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    Orange County, CA.
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Christian Congratulations! Drive back safe! Take lots of pictures! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your New Baby!

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Christian,
    Congrats on your new girl. I'm living that emotion also since "Rachel" has only been with me for one month!

Relax your back - - loosen your grip - - and early on, don't go too fast; like getting to know a woman who fascinates you, don't blow it on the first date.

Have a "smiles filled" drive home - - we'll say hello at CC.
    Cheers, Hank

15. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    lear60man, I like your username. You dont happen to fly the 60 do you?

Congratulations on your new Ferrari! Dream come true Im sure.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Well Im spending the night off of the 580 near Oakland. The car was in even better condition than I thought it would be in. The weather held out and I didnt get a drop of rain only bugs. I was in the market for a white TR and was looking at the one on ebay about 2 weeks ago. Her reserve was 65K and her car needed love. This one has less miles and a 30K service done last month! Not to mention you could eat off the motor. I am taking a bunch of pics but forgot the cable to download:( As far as speeding goes I was passed by 4 CHP's because I was doing the limit the whole day. Tomorrow viva Las I-5! The masking tape idea was a bust because this car has so much wax that, the tape lifted just by looking at it!

Jordan: I used to fly a 60 Now I fly a GIV-SP.