F430 -- Just released extensive official details 11/11 | FerrariChat

F430 -- Just released extensive official details 11/11

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348SStb, Nov 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'm curious about this:

"The diameters of the hydraulic pistons are differentiated to distribute the pressure exerted on the discs and optimise performance. Pedal travel is constant even under repeated braking, and fade has been eliminated even under hard track use. The adoption of carbon-ceramic discs brings with it a significant increase in longevity: the new brakes can in fact easily cover 350 laps at racing speeds on the Fiorano track."

Is this really that good? Fiorano is a short track (only around 1 min), so this would only represent about 500 miles of track driving, right? Even if only the pads wore out in that time, that's a couple of grand, right? This does not sound good!

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    this is my vote for single best ferrari of all time. amazingly sophisticated like an enzo but with beautiful style. 430 and gallardo represent the 2 best exotic cars ever made.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Gallardo? No way....AWD=bad true drivers car IMO.

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Before we get into another F vs L war, thanks for this info. Some nice details :)

5. freshyip

freshyip Karting

Oct 28, 2004
    New Territories, HK
    Full Name:
    freshyip
    IMHO, 430 > gallardo...

but i really don't know...am i the only one that does not like the looks of the 430? -_- i really liked how the older ferraris look..

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Overstatement of the century?

7. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I'd place the Mucielago before the Gallardo, even though the G is almost as quick. The Lamborghini genes seem to be losing ground from every report I've seen.

And yes, great information on the link. Many thanks.

Forza,

Cavallini

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Looks to me that the F430 is going to be very expensive to operate. More and more garage queens. What a shame.

Art

9. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Based on what? Not an accusation, just curious.

10. blackenzo

blackenzo Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Peter C
    this car is awesome. the more i see the pics and read about it the more i love it.

11. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    I thought C-C brakes were an option on the F430?

In anycase the quote basically confirms my understanding of C-C brakes.

On the Road:

Pro: Road use presents little challenge so they last thousands of miles.
    Con: They need to warm up before they perform well, so not suited for short trips. Or restaurant Queens.

On the Track:

Pro: Brakes of choice. Fade resistance, etc...
    Con: Very expensive to replace. And will need replacing often if you use them properly.

12. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    They are a (very expensive) option. I won't be checking that box...

Gary

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A couple of us local, future 430 owners recnetly cornered the local sales manager, Bill Orth, and asked about the CC brakes. He recommends them only for hard core track drivers for the following reasons: 1. estimated cost is 14K. 2. In the resale market, they are not likely to bring much of a premium because most buyers won't care and those that do will be taking into account they may need to buy very expensive pads for it soon.

Besides, Ferrari says the steel brakes are also improved and they were never too shabby to begin with, so I think I'll stick with steel. I may attend some track days, but I'm chicken to take a 200K car and spank it hard on most tracks. I'm also getting a stick. My future Elise will bear most of the track duty.

Dave

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    more and more garage queens? what are you talking about?
    modern ferraris are driven more than any in the past

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    SMART THINKING

16. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    I remember I was looking at a used 1500 mile CS at a main dealer. I asked the dealer what guarantees he could give me about the condition of the brake pads, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Very off-putting.

17. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Maybe F1 cars, the road cars don't need that.

18. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    CCM will cost you 13.340 Euro in Germany. So I think with the current weakness of the USD, F will more likely charge you about 18K.

At rennteam there are the first pics I've seen of the standard steel brake discs. With their 330 mm they look quite small in these new 19'' alloys. Ferrari should have increased the diameter to let's say 340 mm and everything would be fine. Instead they concentrate on selling their CCM for a ridiculously high price. Spending about 10% of the base price of the car on top for the brakes? Very strange philosophy. :(

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I read somewhere that 80% of european customers have checked the Ceramic brakes option.

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Wow, I find that amazing.

Gary

21. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Well I haven't had lots of seat time in a car with CC brakes so I can't be sure.

But this is what i've heard from owners (Porsche) and my dealer (who said it was a pointless option for most customers. I think he did have it spec'd on his F430's tho).

Plus since its a property of the material, why would it be different for F1?

BTW - Perhaps you've misunderstood what i meant (my first post is a bit misleading). I dont mean they're useless when cold. Just that theres a noticeable difference in performance, which can catch you off guard.

22. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Well from what I have heard the Porsche CC brakes are not even close in quality to the F brakes.

23. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Maybe someone with a CS can clarify?

24. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i honestly don't fell a difference in the brakes when they are warm or cold. it feels the same on my CS.