OMG!! Capristo first impressions... | FerrariChat

OMG!! Capristo first impressions...

Discussion in '360/430' started by rscholl, Nov 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Well after months of reading every post of Tubi vs. Capristo and watching as many video clips of each as I could I finally decided to order the Capristo level 3. I never heard it live but went mainly with the f-chat consensus that many feel Capristo sounds better.

Well, I just got back from picking up my 360 after the installation. From inside as I was paying I could hear a beautiful aggressive idle out in front of the shop as they pulled it around. They backed it up to the door and gave it a few little light blips of the throttle. Man, that sounded awesome. As I walked outside I was really impressed with the way the tips looked. They look very aggressive. I love the beveled edges. The silencer (kind of an oxymoron) is absolutely stunning to look at in the engine bay. Wonderful welding craftsmenship. Oh and the sound of the exhaust at idle as we were standing there was such a sweet sound. I had a big smile on my face. I was pleasantly surprised at how loud it was. Now this is how a Ferrari is supposed to sound. Much deeper tone than the video clips portray. You can feel it in your chest.

As I pulled away there was only slight interior resonance at about 2500, but not in a drone-y sort of way. Very nice. I didn't get on it right away b/c it was still cold. Under light acceleration it's, again, much deeper than I thought it would be. Very mellifluous and musical. Once at operating temp I got on it a little more. Above 5K it takes on a little different tone. More aggressive and raw, but still with a smoothness to it. I was grinning ear to ear. This is exactly how I wanted my 360 to sound. My wife was following me and she said that it's very loud. No matter where I was in traffic in front of her she could hear the car, and she was in an X5 with the windows up and radio on. I like it! I guess no sneaking out for midnight drives for me. ;-)

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to post a detailed account of this glorious experience for anyone who is thinking about it but hasn't heard it live. The video clips circulating of the yellow 360 in california going through the tunnels is actually pretty accurate to how it sounds in real life when on open streets with the windows down. I'll take some video soon and try and post some clips. Capristo rocks!! And by the way, thanks Heiko.

2. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Good choice, I am sure that it sounds great. I will be deciding soon between a Tubi, Capristo and Fuchs for a 550. Any advice on that?

3. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Congratulations and keep ranting for those of us who have to wait before we have that grin on our faces too. I don't know if I replied to your earlier queries but after I heard the Capristo clips, the Giallo in the tunnel esp., I knew Capristo was the exquisite, raw, but still musical Ferrari sound. I especially like the sound when decelerating. I think the Capristo exhaust sounds better than the CS and the 430, although they're superb in a slightly different way. I prefer the alto/ F1-like scream, and with the Capristo you can enjoy the low-end basso profundo just like the F1 cars have when they're pulling out of the garages and pits for practice laps.
    Slightly off-topic, but wouldn't a Capristo sound unbelievable on an Enzo? I find the stock exhaust suffocating to that beast.
    Congratulations again, and please post clips, inside especially.

Forza,

Cavallini

4. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I've been very pleased with the Level 2 Capristo in my 360. I think the Level 3 would be a bit loud for me, but everyone has their optimum level, some would like Level 1 I'm sure. Remember it will get a bit louder as it breaks in.

Gary

5. janus

janus Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Croatia
    Full Name:
    Janko
    I also prefer the F1 type sound that capristo emulates, but I was only able to hear the clips of the Jeffery's L3, which sounds great but is really loud IMHO. Do you or anybody else has some clips of L1 or preferably L2, i would really love to hear some

6. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Afer driving around some more today I've come to the realization that this exhaust is very loud. Much louder than I thought it would be. I do like it, but I don't think my neighbors will. My wife heard me drive up from about 3-4 blocks away. And I was just basically idling down my street. I'm really surprised that a car with pret-cats and cats can be so loud. When you're standing next to it it really sounds (and feels in your chest) like a race motor. You can barely hear and talk to someone else next to you. Much of the sound is projected away from the car though. Inside the cabin it's not nearly as loud. With windows up all you can hear is a little bass rumble. I'll see what it's like to live with on a day-to-day basis. I just hope the cops don't give me too hard a time.....

7. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    You could probably arrange a swap with someone who has the level 2 if you end up being unhappy with it. I know that oftentimes the vendors will be selling a used exhaust, presumably because of this same situation. Perhaps you could negotiate a cheap swap?

8. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    PPL's exhaust seems to be one of the most often swapped out parts on a car, at least this is what I've seen many P-car owners do 'til the "get it right" for them. A level 2 swap might be just the ticket.

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Anyone know the story on the 355 Capristo? I could have sworn there was the regular version and the loud version... I think it was called the LC Racing exhaust or something like that. After looking around online all I could find was stuff about the 'regular' version for the 355..

-R

10. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    The F355 has just one version of Capristo exhaust, while it's the 360 that can have 3 levels of noise...

11. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Yeah, I may start thinking about finding a level 2 to swap for. I've always liked very loud exhausts, but this is a little much I think. Anyone out there with a level 2 willing to discuss a possible trade?

12. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Posting this here is a good start, but you might consider posting on Ferrari ads and possibly even starting a new thread so that more people will see it. Good luck :)

13. SMarcus69

SMarcus69 Rookie

Sep 18, 2004
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve Marcus
    I just installed a Capristo System on my F355 and when I ordered it I requested to have it custom built with a Level 3. I did have to pay a few extra bucks, but definately worth it. I also installed a set of test pipes at the same time and wired the bypass valve open. WOW, what a sound.

Nick from Nicks Forza Ferrari supplied me with my system. I found him on this site. A+ for Ferrari Chat advertisers!!

14. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    the unit for you with a Level 2 unit, even if you have to pay a small difference for a new unit vs slightly used. Have you discussed the idea of exchanging it with them yet?