Emissions nightmare.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Emissions nightmare....

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I guess I'm a part of the club too. I took the Biturbo in this morning and it failed--dismally. At least that says to me that there is probably something major that's not working right, so it will probably not be that tough to diagnose... Earlier atheyg said that excess HC is from unburnt fuel; does anyone know what are the main causes of excess CO? Both of mine were way too high.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Probably a toasted cat.

If everything is way bad, this test actually helps you identify that you have a bigger issue which is worth bringing the car in for. My case is more annoying, where basically everything is ok, but just a little old to pass without a hitch.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,Chuck. Hydrocarbons are Unburnt Fuel. Different causes. But,in my own experience,the key problem is the Catalytic Convertor. Those are supposed to get Hot enough inside to Burn up any unburned Fuel in the Exhaust,as it passes through the Cat. And,they wear out over time.(Thus,are Less effective)

In more modern Cars,that have O2 sensors. That can also cause Higher Readings,if the car is not getting the correct Air Fuel mixture.

Sometimes,just a minor adjustment of a Carbuerator,(If it has one/several)Will help. Or,a New Air Filter.

I also had one car that had a bad Fuel Injector. And,instead of spraying a fine mist,it was dribbling raw fuel into the Cylinders. (Take out your oil dipstick and smell it.) That was way too much for the Cats. to even handle.

So,basically,check all of the Systems that have to do with Fuel intake,Burning,and Exhausting.

Change your Spark Plugs. Put in some good Fuel Injector Cleaner. Use Quality Gas.( I only use Amoco 93 Octane Premium) Take it out for some good Highway Driving. Change your Air Filter. (Try all of that first,to see if you can get off easy...:) ) If not,then you need to start looking at the Catalytic Convertors,Fuel Injectors,TuneUp,Etc... Good Luck!

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Andreas -
    LFSC sent my cats to California to be rebuilt, cost $700.
    Then passed!
    BTW... way too many of our cars are flunking. I think it is a conspiracy...

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My car is going in for a big engine overhaul. Better start saving now.

In the shop there were two more 308 QV with the same problems: Too young to be exempt, too old to pass. Sad story.

6. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Well, yesterday I picked up the Biturbo after having the cat replaced. In a startling deviation from the usual experience, it ended up costing LESS than I had expected, so since I had already budgeted more money for the repairs, I had the mechanic (John/Giovanni at Autosprint) go ahead and change the timing belt, too. Boy, did I dodge a bullet! He said something to do with the tensioner was frozen, and the belt was being chewed up! I (like many of us, I suspect) knew the car was due for a new belt, but I was driving it anyway, figuring the odds of it actually breaking were slim... There's a lesson here, boys and girls: when the manual says "change the belt", CHANGE THE BELT!!! Never again will I blow off that directive!!!

Anyway, I now have a clean-running, new-belt-wearing Biturbo, just in time to pack it up for winter. Actually if this winter is like last winter, there will be sizable chunks of time when the roads are clear, so I intend to drive it when I can, as long as I can avoid salt.

Also, when I was at Autosprint, they had another Biturbo Spyder in the lot out front, and John told me that the owner wants to sell it. It's an '86, and it's pretty clean. John would do all the basic maintenance before the sale, so it would have a bunch of new stuff on it. I can testify that these cars are a blast to drive, and very comfortable on the highway. Autosprint is at 5259 W. Addison, (773) 685-0930. If you inquire, please tell them I sent you!

Have a happy,

Chuck

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for you there,Chuck. But,did the car pass the dreaded Emissions Test?

8. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Yep, passed emissions with flying colors.

Now, when/if I go to sell this car (to, say, make room in the garage for that Ferrari I keep talking about) it will have a fresh timing belt and a fresh cat, which are two of the most dreaded problems with these cars.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't sell it, keep it! You're the only Biturbo in our group, we don't need another 308...
    :)

10. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Don't worry, Andreas: I don't expect to sell the Biturbo for a while yet.

And if I did replace it with a Ferrari, it would probably be a Mondial rather than a 308, so I would still add something different to the club events. (Although I hope that prugna Mondial from Peoria shows up at more events next year!)

Of course, if the right 308 came along, it would be tough to pass by... But I'm not in the market right now. I figure I can probably get a couple years worth of use out of the Biturbo's new cat and timing belt and still have them be new enough to be bonuses if I sold the car.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Glad to hear that Chuck.

BTW: I'm not against 308 at all, it is just, that we have so many here. When looking at other clubs, it always seems to me, that they don't have as many 308 as we do. Strange.

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I sure am sorry to hear that your testing up North is so tough. For all I know it may trickle down to Central Illinois someday. For now, they dont test anything, zip. I know my '89 would pass, as it's pretty modern, but heck, it is a different wolrd just two hours South from you Gents.

"...(Although I hope that prugna Mondial from Peoria shows up at more events next year!)..."

I plan on making some events as often as possible! See you after the defrost.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Update:

Emissions exception received
    Engine overhaul complete

Soon she'll be back home again!

:) :) :) :) :)

14. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    My insurance co offers the restricted use endorsement on its policy. It clearly states what the state wants for the exception. I just filled out the form and mailed it in as I got the testing notice for my 85 308gtsi. I do not want to go though the nightmares I have read about.