New Daily Driver for less than $40k? | FerrariChat

New Daily Driver for less than $40k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by L8Braker, Nov 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey guys I'm looking for a new daily driver and can't seem to make up my own mind. For less than 40 you can get a 996, boxster s, nsx, z06, M coupe(s54), and so on....... I don't care about a rear seat nor much luggage room. I just want a fun/reliable/nice daily driver. What would you do?

PS I'm coming from a 99 clk-430 which is for sale on ebay right now.

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Mini Cooper S. You'll love it.

(The company (BMW) and its dealers are exceptionally lousy, however...)

3. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    You can pick up a new generation M3 with warranty, etc for under $40k. They hold their value VERY well

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Having a 911 and a Mini Cooper S, from your list I would only suggest looking at the:

1) 1997+ Nsx

2) BMW M coup with the 315 S54 motor

Both of these cars are exceptional, and reliable, and you won't run into 5 million other people driving them. Watch out for the early S54 cars, as the engines have had some problems. Personally I like the S52 equipped M coupes. THough they are down on power, the S52 has been rock solid.

You can always look at the S2000 convertible or a Used E46 M3. Choices are many.

I am sure someone will suggest the EVO/STI. Though they are good cars, given the automobiles you listed, I feel the evo/sti is not what you are looking for. :)

If I was in your shoes today, and this was my requirement:
    I would easily pick a 1997+ Acura NSX in Spa Yellow Pearl.

I also like the 99/00 Lexus SC300, but they are more luxury rather than sporty.

5. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Might I suggest either the Subaru WRX STi or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR (Mitsubishi Racing) Edition ?

Both are very reliable 4 seaters and daily drivers. I know that you said you're not much concerned about luggage room, but these have it, and hey, some extra practicality can't hurt, right ?

Both are very fast for the price, and this comes from their rich world rally championship heritage. Both can do the 0 to 60 mph run in under 5 seconds and handle exceedingly well. Both have all wheel drive and are driven by turbo-ed 4 cylinder engines. The Evo has a displacement of 2 liters, while the Subaru, 2.5 liters (for the US edition).

The Subaru has 300 hp at the crank while the Mitsubishi, around 280 hp. The Subaru has a flat 4 layout and consequently you get a wonderful boxer rumble to the engine note. By most accounts, the Subaru is a more comfortable daily driver and the interior trimmings are also of higher quality and class.

Both great daily drivers, and terribly fun to drive. :)

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Z06 is the fastest thing you have listed in overall performance. Can be had for low 30s and relatively low miles.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good analysis ryan...but isnt a 1997 and up nsx over 40k.?.a good example would be closer to 50k .. i believe....

8. SteveNSX

SteveNSX Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    Are you concerned about depreciation? Of the cars you mentioned, some are depreciating at a far faster rate than others..
    The M3 is a fantastic driver.

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    No I'm not worried about depreciation this is a daily driver so the miles will depreciate it already haha

Def no WRX or Evo....I'm looking for a "nice" car. And the mini??? nah not for me although they do handle great.

NSX 97 up does seem to be in the 45 up range but you can find the 95-96t models for under 40.

M coupe would probably be one of the easiest daily drives and cheapest of the list too.

Z06 goes like hell, interior is hell, and they are everywhere. 996 looks great, goes pretty good, but service would be the most out of them all. E46 m3 is probably the most exspensive of the group, but has the most room.

I dunno I go back and forth haha They all have ups and downs

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    A little over 40 yes. But I figured with spending 40K whats a few Gs. :) :D THe car is truly worth it and exceptional after all these years.

Jeremy,
    I say forget the Z06 and the 996. I would still say get the 1996 Nsx T. Exlusive, damn reliable, and a honda at heart.

IF not, then get a 1999-2000 M coupe. I looked through them and you can get them in the mid 20s with low miles. That is a steal. Rare car, great color combo, great handling, and the deep dish wheels, 4 pipes, and wide rear end is downright sexy and fun.

Good luck with your choices. :) Have fun, let us know what you choose.

11. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'm glad I'm the only one that really appreciates those cars. I haven't driven an M Coupe, but I have driven a S52 M Roadster, and it has LOTS of power. I suppose it would run out of breath over 100mph or so compared to the S54, but around town, it is balls out fast.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I love those cars. Will pick one up next summer hopefully. :)

I am not a big fan of the roadster because it looks like the Z3, and that car is abit girly imho. Also I like to stand out in a crowd and the M coupe certainly does that :D

Totally incorrect! The differences between the S54 and the S52 in the M coupe is not as apparent as you might think. I have driven both extensively, and yes the S54 has much higher RPM power, but the S52 has never ran out of breath or felt underpowered! Using your analogy is like saying, the F355 is kinda slow, but is good around town. However, for the highways you need the 360. Not true at all. :) Come out to Cali, you can drive them, and tell me what you think. :)

13. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    That's surprising! I don't think my analogy is quite that bad, though. The difference between the hp of the 355 to 360 is about 5%, but the difference S52 to S54 is over 30%. Also, the two M cars have the same displacement, so peak torque is not much greater, the S54 just continues making torque at higher RPMs than the S52. This is why I assumed the S54 would be much faster at higher speeds, where raw HP matters more than torque.

Although I was obviously wrong, I don't think it was an illogical assumption. :)

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    LOL all good bro! Don't take it so seriously. I didn't mean to suggest that you were illogical. :)

Just wanted to dispell the rumor that there is such a diff between the s54 and s52. In the real world, there isnt. :)

15. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I LOVE the Laguna Seca Blue.

Certainly no offense was taken.

Does the S54 have a six speed?

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    YES sir the LSB is stunning.
    By the way, it only has 15lb feet more torque than the s52..i could be off by a few..picking from memory.

no, 5 speed.

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I love the M Coupe too. I want to get an S52 sooner rather than later. I know that it has less power but like LAFUN2 mentioned the engine is completely reliable while the S54 's engine scares me a little bit. The S52 would be quick enough for me on a day to day basis I bet too. I think for the money an M Coupe is an incredible buy.

I would also consider a used Porsche Boxster S. I drove one around for an afternoon and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the most powerful car but it was a lot of fun to drive. It handled well and I think that is the car I would buy if I was looking to spend $40K or so.

Other cars that are less than $40K that you might want to check out would be the Infiniti G35 Coupe. I think it is a good looking car and it is pretty quick but I have never driven one.

18. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    #18 damcgee, Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i didn't realize it had that much more torque. I always use tq/L as a measurement of a manufacturer's engine efficiency, since HP/L is so dependent upon the engine's character. BMW does VERY well with its M cars. Here are a few select cars:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Why are you selling the clk430?

Of all the cars listed so far, I'd keep it frankly. If you want to blow $40k give it to me and I'll repaint it a different color and tell you you have a 'new car' :)

Another option: 2001 Bmw 750iL. Last year of the good looking body. Can be had for mid 30s.

20. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford

hahahaha

I'm just selling it to buy something with a manual tranny, better handling, and a little faster. The CLK is a sweet car, but I've had it for almost 3 years and I'm ready to change.....the longest I've owned any car is 3 years, so I like to move around.

I like the S54 M coupe....but that little thing is ugly hahaha not that it matters when you are driving it, they are just funny though. IT is so ugly you have to like it haha I think it might be the best overall pacakge.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #21 LAfun2, Nov 14, 2004
  22. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #22 L8Braker, Nov 16, 2004
    Well guys I can't believe it no one wants to buy my 99 clk for $22k my ebay auction ended today with not a single bidder! ????

Look at it I mean what other car would you want for that money? Guess I'm gonna keep it and buy some 19 wheels to go with it.

I'll stay on track and buy my Lotus Esprit mid winter.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Very easy - Mustang GT!

:)

24. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    #24 Webby, Nov 16, 2004
    speaking of which ...
    the 350z roadster or mustang GT would both make good daily drivers
    i talked to my neighbor and he said as of now he thinks the 350z is one of the funnest cars he's ever driven (he's had a boxster and corvette previously) but the mustang draws more heads for the moment ... probably not until everybody gets them

25. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    Hey Jeremy! I haven't been here in a while, what's going on?

My parents are in the market for a luxury car so I've been researching all kinds for them. I think they are going with a Jaguar Stype R in the spring. If you like jag, you should check out their R line up. Supercharged with 400hp, you can't go wrong. I have come across M5's for around 40. I would like my parents to get one but they don't wan't a manual car. If you're still looking for a car now, I recommend a used M5 or m3. But really you should save your pennies and get the new Z06 next year :D