348 High Mileage Problems | FerrariChat

348 High Mileage Problems

Discussion in '348/355' started by dasadrew, Nov 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    After many years it looks like I'll be taking the plunge back into Ferrari ownership (after a brief 308GT4 interlude many years back). I like maintaining and fixing cars just as much as driving them and a 'Ferrari for fun' idea considering price, bhp, possibility of big + expensive mistakes etc., is leading me down the path to a 348TS. A '94 GTS (320bhp) would be nice but is getting out of the price bracket where it would be FUN to own it and fix it

There are some apparent 'bargains' out there with high mileage (100,000km/60,000miles). What could be the big wallet-buster on these cars? When is the engine no longer 'revivable'? I've seen virtually no posts on Gearbox/Diff/Driveshafts/Steering rack. Engine stripping etc. would be no problem to me, but maybe a Ferrari gearbox is not a good item to learn on!

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi there,

You are a real lunatic!

You can move near me and fix my 348 when it breaks--and you won't have to spend any money on a car for yourself! I'll even let you drive it!

I say God bless you for seeing the joy in fixing cars... too many people have bad things to say about Ferraris in general because of their "reliability problems." The 348 is probably the most bashed Ferrari out there. Your courage is like kryptonite to the 348 bashers who lurk this board!

Sorry for opening up the door to a hijacking of this thread, as I'm sure you were looking for some serious answers.

3. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    My 348 has over 100,000 miles..... I have had no major problems with the engine, gearbox or anything else for that matter. Maybe you should consider a garage queen if you are looking for something to work on. Ferrari's like to be driven, regardless of what some people say. It is my opinion that the 348's with 60,000 miles will give less problems than the ones with 6,000 miles. So grab one of those "good deals" and leave the tools in the garage...Not the car!!!!!

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My 348 has 55K miles. No problems here.

5. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    For what it's worth my Mondial T Coupe (same engine + transaxle) has 44K miles. Have owned it 8 years with no mechanical issues whatsoever; just the usual electrical hiccups. And I do track the car from time to time which it loves as it turns out!
    So go forth and enjoy... F cars really do work better when DRIVEN.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have one of the first 348s made (#17) and I've had it for almost 15 years...and it has been brilliant! I've done plenty of trips and track events with the car.

I've done 3 majors....2 myself. I did have a gearbox blow up in the mid 90's....and FNA was kind enough to give me $9000 worth of parts. Other than a few electrical 'challenges with the door connectors the car has been bullit proof. I've had alot of Ferrari's including an F40....and the 348 is still with me.

Have fun and keep driving!
    Ciao.......Dino

7. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

91 348ts, just turning over 39K, other than replacing the original clutch at 27K and having the alternator rebuilt for $100 (R&R the alternator myself) no problems

8. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    This is all very encouraging stuff! I'm looking at a 60.000km 348TS at the moment but it's in a different country so it's getting difficult to research!

Being currently out of the F-world I'm amazed sometimes how the 355'ers bash the 348'ers, the 308'ers bash the 355'ers etc! I walked out of my company-enforced Renault Laguna into a Ferrari exhibition at the local shopping mall last week and let's be honest " A FERRARI IS A FERRARI!" and to discuss the differences is like saying Coulthard is a rubbish driver 'cos he's 0,2 seconds slower than Raikonnen (avoiding mentioning Ferrari drivers here!).

Ever heard your neighbours say 'He's got a Ferrari, but it's ONLY a 348" ?

'nuff said, but I'd still be interested in any answers to my first post!! LOL!