Info on Daytona for sale in US | FerrariChat

Info on Daytona for sale in US

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Yquem, Nov 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Hello,

I am looking on some further details on VIN 14251 / engine no. B986 or 8986.
    Car was sold at Christie's Pebble Beach Auction in 2001 for $ 93,500.
    Red on black.
    Somebody here in Belgium is seriously interested in purchasing this particular Daytona. I don't know yet where exactly this car is located in the US.

I am going to search for further info, if somebody here knows something more it's gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Joren REMANS

2. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Nobody knows something more?
    It's urgent because we want to bring over the car by the end of this month!

3. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Auction history found on Ferrari Owners' Site :

8/19/2001 Christie's - Pebble Beach
    Year of construction: 1971
    Chassis number: 14251
    RHD/LHD: L
    Estimate : 90-110.000
    Sale price: USD 99500.0
    Sale price (GBP): £68,892.009
    Sale price (USD): $99,500.00
    Sale price (EUR): Eur108.885,835
    Bodywork: Pininfar./Scaglietti
    Lot number: 36
    Description:
    Red with black and red leather interior; repainted several years ago, unused for 12 months (see lots 656 B-J 21.1.99 and 86 Christie's 29.4.00).

04/29/2000 Christie's - Tarrytown
    Estimate : 125-145.000
    Sale price: Not sold
    Lot number: 86
    Description:
    Red with black and red leather interior; in good overall condition (see lot 656 barrett-Jackson 21.1.99).

1/21/1999 Bar.-Jack. - Scottsdale
    Estimate : NQ
    Sale price: Not sold
    Lot number: 656
    Description:
    Red with black interior; fully restored and fitted with wire wheels. Two owners and 30,000 miles covered from new.

4. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Similar car :

5. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Car is believed to be somewhere in California.

Anyone can check out the matching numbers?
    VIN 14251 / engine no. B986 or 8986

What is it : B986 or 8986 ?

6. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    From the Barrett-Jackson website:
    1971 FERRARI 365 GTB/4 DAYTONA COUPE
    LOT #656 - RESERVE
    1999 BJCCA CCA
    HIGH BID OF $107,000
    COLOR - RED
    TRANS - 5 SPEED
    CYLINDERS - 12
    ENGINE SIZE - 4.4 LTR
    VIN - 14251
    This is a two owner 30,000 mile car that has had to have very little work done to it over the years. the following has been performed: new tires, wire wheels rebuilt, new exhaust system, recovered seats, new carpets, new paint and new windshield. mostly importantly, the car is extremely original. all smog equipment is in place and working. the original tool roll is available with some tools missing. even the original hood shocks are there and functional. mechanically the car is excellent.

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Do you know where, exactly? I can recommend a PPI vendor, as I know most of the good shops in this republic of ours.

I am not sure if there is a definitive and comprehensive Daytona registry. I have seen a couple attempts. I am assuming you have checked barchetta.cc to see if there is any info. Sheehan might be able to help, too (www.ferraris-online.com).

8. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Info on Barchetta.cc

14251 70
    365 GTB/4, USA
    Red/black

70 - ......., ..
    .. - ......., ..
    98/10 - Lyle Tanner, CA, $137,500 30,500-miles
    99/jan/21-24 - NS - Barrett-Jackson Auction, Scottsdale, AZ, US high bid $120,000

Thanks Luke.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    At the Christie's Pebble Beach Auction in 2001, Sports Car Market described it:

Color change from yellow to Resale Red. Clear coat now buffed thru in spots on nose. Dr fit not g, dr checks non-existant. Dash pad, battery, filters, carpet all wrong. Seats done incorrectly. Filler v noticable in whl arches. A bright red auction rat.

Their opinion was:

Christie's says suspension bushings and/or shocks need to be replaced. This is a lot of money for an unknown car. Let's hope the new owner isn't faced with a lot of maintenance problems that could ear up $30k in a heartbeat.

10. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    Yep, if everything was replaced, OK, if not, good luck.

Maybe have a look on www.ferraribuy.com

11. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Found it :
    http://www.highwayone.com/Start.html

Anyone here has experience dealing with Highway One?
    Should there be someone with some more information on this particular Daytona it is very much appreciated.

Thanks Luke and Don for your contribution.

Joren REMANS

12. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    joren,

if i may ask, why this daytona, it has US specifications, and you want to bring it over to Belgium ?

Wouldn't it be better to buy one in Europe ? or do you really look for this specific car ?

13. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Vince : PM

14. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I have looked at a couple of cars at highway one. I have not heard anything super bad, or super good. They usually have cars on consignment. They are in Burlingame, so it is close to my house.

15. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Interesting thanks. Is it possible that you have seen 14251 already while you were in the shop? I talked to the owner (Del) yesterday; he said that the local Ferrari dealership took a look at the car some time ago and they confirmed that it is a reliable, honest Daytona and that it's becomming quite a rare opportunity to find such decent Daytonas on the market these days... Their goal is to have it sold by the end of this year. Del also confirmed that it was at the Christie's P.B. auction back in 2001. Didn't ask what happened with it the last 3 years though but I am told it's technically and mechanically OK, just some stonechips on the bonnet (I believe) is the only cosmetic to do... Do you have the opportunity to bring Highway One a quick visit while you're in the neighbourhood Luke? Thanks, Joren REMANS

16. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I find this amusing - I guess how a car is evaluated largely depends on the evaluator. Here is what sports car market had to say on the three recent auctions this car has been at:

Barret-Jackson 1/24/99 cond=3 $107K not sold
    "Chrome Borranis, A/C, painted nose, original radio, 30,691 miles. Quick repaint, casually masked and prepped. Driver's door not flush, chassis dirty and neglected. Good new seats, wheels rebuilt.

Market Opinion:
    Mediocre Daytonas aren't getting much over $100K, even with fairly low miles like this. There are plenty to choose from and buyers can afford to be picky. This was money enough, and then some, for this car."

------------------------

Christie's 4/28/2000 cond=2 $110K not sold
    "Condition Description:
    Excellent door and panel fit. Could use new suspension bushes, according to catalog. Mileage believed genuine. Originally yellow. Interior has been correctly retrimmed.

Market Opinion:
    A fair offer for this particular car. Could have been sold with no regrets. Daytonas in equal condition are always available on the open market at the high bid's level."

-----------------------------

Christie's 8/19/2001 cond=4+ $99.5K sold
    "Condition Description:
    Color change from yellow to Resale Red. Clear coat now buffed thru in spots on nose. Dr fit not g, dr checks non-existant. Dash pad, battery, filters, carpet all wrong. Seats done incorrectly. Filler v noticable in whl arches. A bright red auction rat

Market Opinion:
    Christie's says suspension bushings and/or shocks need to be replaced. This is a lot of money for an unknown car. Let's hope the new owner isn't faced with a lot of maintenance problems that could ear up $30k in a heartbeat."

Anyone know what the asking price is now?

-steve

17. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I can give it a quick once over if you confirm for me that the car is on the premises.
    But....I am not a professional. The guy I use when I outsource the work on my vintage V12 is one town over, and he can do a PPI. He owns a Daytona as his personal car and also served as a mechanic for the Ferrari Le Mans effort. He does not charge a lot for a PPI compared to most guys in the Bay Area.
    Let me know, I can drop by if the car is there.

18. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Luke : PM

19. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    just spent an hour looking the car over, almost started thinking about buying the Mustang parked next to it...
    check your PM for my "amateur" appraisal

20. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Thank you very much Luke for the taken time to check it out. We really appreciate this; thumbs up for Fchat with it's great community!
    In the extensive PM you send me I could read : "Door fit was only off on the driver's side, and not by much." What do you mean with it, door fit is not the door handle I hope right???

I have a meeting with the potential owner tomorrow evening, we will go over all this and see what we can do.

Thanks and I keep you up to date.

Cordiali saluti,
    Joren REMANS

21. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    The shut line was not even around the perimeter. Not like they were that even from the factory. No lexus robotic tolerances in the 70s. But this indicates some work, IMO. The car is really a driver, and frankly, I would not proceed myself without a compression check and a thorough mechanical inspection. Since you seem to be in the trade, you know that there are 3 major classes of expenses: body, engine, and interior, at least when it comes to Ferraris. So far, we only know that this is not a completely mangled rustbucket. And that the interior is not entirely correct, but attractive, with no major tears, stains, or excessive wear.

Like xs10shl said, prices have gone up. You can no longer get a #1 Daytona for 135K. You could a year and a half ago...

I do know of another one for sale in Northern California, maybe 2 more (I will know today)....
    :)

22. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I have a 1971 red/black Daytona USA model and I would not sell it for less than 150,000 US ever. I think this model is undervalued and will rise in the forseeable future. Looks just like the pictures.

23. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Remans - Pricewise, It's going to be hard for you to get a really, really bad deal on a Daytona, considering you'll be paying for it using Euros. That's like getting 30% off! I envy your position right now.