Just bought a 4-post lift | FerrariChat

Just bought a 4-post lift

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Nov 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    My older son got a BMW track car, so that left my wife with no winter parking spot. Had to do something as this is her only request in reguards to me being a carnut. After checking out specs for the online hoist companies, I found that Globe hoist is based in Aurora, was a lot nicer to go in and check out in person what you are interested in, and not just compare specs given. I'll pick it up this week and put it together this weekend, quality of construction looked good, and priced right. I'll update this after putting it together.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So your next Ferrari will be a TR where the engine drops out of the bottom?
    :)

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for that,Bob. When I get my next Garage,I definitely want to put in a Lift-a 4 poster,for sure. So,let us know how it is.

Also,gotta LOL....Our Ladies sure are tolerant of our love of Cars...I always see in posts that "My Wife has to leave her car out of the Garage"...Myself included...:) Dave got a Lift...Now,Bob's getting a lift....I want to get a lift....

I had a Corvette and a Ferrari in my 2 car Garage...while her little PT Cruiser sat outside last Winter. But,I always started it up and got it all warmed up,and cleaned off for her. Now that I sold the Vette,we've been putting her car in the open spot in the garage. But,I am planning on adding another Exotic....but,have been too busy to even start looking,yet. So,maybe will wait until March to start looking so she can have that side of the garage for this Winter,(and until I get a bigger Garage).

This Weekend is the Chevy/Vettefest. They usually have a couple different Lift companies there,showing some of their products,and some offer Car Show discounts. I was going to get some brochures and info. But,If there is a place right here in Aurora. That sounds alot better to me for Service,Customer Support,Etc...

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Bob-
    Price?
    I'm most likely building within a few weeks (if my nazi local community will issue the friggin permits), plan on 2 lifts in the back of the garage. I'd be interested to hear why you picked this particular lift over all the rest.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sounds like the next garage mahal in the making. Calendar 2006 comes to mind...
    :)

6. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    $2500 is the base price, less if you walk in with cash, first reason for picking the Globe hoist is they are based less than 7 miles from my house. Construction of the unit looks good.

7. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #7 Dave Bendl, Nov 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bob:
    Good luck with your lift. Be sure that your garage floor is stable and strong enough to take the weight. I would also buy a couple of rolls of yellow/black striped safety tape. Apply the tape to the posts and top rails (see pic below). Make sure who ever parks under the lift passes an eye exam regularly and knows what could happen if they struck the posts!
    Other than that you will probably wonder how you ever got along without a lift. I bought mine in 98' and it's been trouble free since new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Dave, Bob, et. al....
    do you guys buy into the solid post versus "C" shaped post stuff (ie solid is better)??? Lots of post and opinions have been voiced here.

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Bob-
    does this company have a website?
    Dave.... the Boxer and 308.... thats all I need! I need a ride in your Boxer!

10. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    http://www.globe1928.com/

They will be at Chevy/Vettefest this year, I really liked being able to "kick the tires" rather than looking at pictures and specs

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well Bob,If you want to meet up with us there. Andreas,Frankie and I are going Saturday Morning right when they open up at 09:00AM....

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Does anybody remember a chrome plated lift that was posted on one of the threads a few months ago? I cannot seem to be able to find pics of it even though I have tryed the search several times.

13. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Will be putting my lift together on sat., also have the same things to do on weekends that have kept me from many of the events this past summer

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    O.K. That sounds cool. Let us know how it goes! Yes,we definitely missed you this year...:) Hope to see you out on more drives next year if you can.

15. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Lift is together and working great, fits as planned, good thing both cars are low as the ceiling is only 9'4". Construction is good, instructions could be better, to many typos

16. Karl

Karl Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    Naperville, IL. USA
    Full Name:
    Karl
    How long did it take you guys to put the lifts together? I'm interested in getting one for my home but I may use it at a storage facility for a while first. I just wonder how much of a pain it is to assemble and take back apart.

Karl

17. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Looks really cool Bob. I've been thinking about buying one, but am concerned about whether or not I'll have to raise the garage door tracks/modify the hindges. Nice to know there's a place nearby.

-Adam

18. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    It took about 3.5 hours to put it together, 4 people are needed for placing the ramps on the crossbars, other than that 2 guys can do it. The biggest hassle is the running of cables and adjusting them.

19. Karl

Karl Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    Naperville, IL. USA
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks Bob.

I went to the Vette show yesterday to take a look at what was out there. Seems like the lower priced units seem all the same.... China? Anyway I'm going to check out the place in Aurora this week to learn yet more and make a choice.

20. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    Any one with a 2 post lift? In considering a 2 post one and wondering if it hard to lift my 512bbi with it?

21. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Loudvette, we have a 2-post Gemini lift at home that has worked great because of the low profile arms that go under the car. I have been able to get under and lift Diablos, TR, F40, etc, so a Boxer should not be a problem with this model lift. Here are some pictures of the lift in the garage: http://www.redlinerpm.com/gallery/house

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice job on that Garage Mahal Mike.

23. Michael RPM

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Thanks Andreas. Since I've moved out, it's just been my parents there, and the house is too big for just the two of them, so they'll be moving back to Hinsdale soon. My dad and I will miss the garage more than the house itself!

24. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    Do you remember where you got it and how much it was? Did you install it? adn how thick is your cement?

25. Michael RPM

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Loudvette, the lift was already installed when my parents moved in. The people who used to live there raced late model Vettes so they needed the low profile arms to go under the racecar.