Correct Steering Wheel for 246 Dino | FerrariChat

Correct Steering Wheel for 246 Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Nov 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 dm_n_stuff, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is this the correct wheel for the Dino?

Mine is old and very dirty. I can't tell if it ever had white stitching or not.

Size is correct, but don't know about appearance. It does have the MOMO logo in the correct location.

Also, anyone have any idea what getting an original might cost???

Thanks,

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    this appears to be the correct wheel for a late 74 model. the earlier wheels looked the same except the had two holes in the wheel spokes. the only other wheels are the very early wood wheels that where on 206 models and early 246 models. you can buy recpnditioned or replica wheels for a modest price.

3. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Geez.

Sometimes you're so busy looking at other stuff, you miss the obvoius thing.

Of course it doesn't have the holes!!!

Lookin' right at it, and missed that completely.

Now, does anyone need a late dino wheel? Also think it moay be correct for a couple of others.

$350+- from what the seller tells me.

DM

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Dave - I've seen "Dino" steering wheels for $1000.

5. dino246

dino246 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rock Hill, SC
    If you look at bottom of the spoke, seam of leather is at center in your photo. Original steering wheel (original leather at least for spokes with 2 holes) was offset to the left. Ones with seam at center are either reproduction by Momo or original wheels with recovered leather.

wspeer is correct. No hole spoke wheels are maybe used on 308GT4 and 365GT4BB also.

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sal M. was having trouble posting and PM'd this to me. I don't know the answers, can anyone help?

"I am requesting your help once again. I don't seem to know how to post a thread myself.

I purchased a replica steering wheel from superformance uk. It came in "leatherate". Next stop was to have it re-upholstered in leather. Shop says they can"t do with straight stiching pattern. Must be with crossstiching pattern.They say straight only when molded and upholstered in one step.

Is the stiching straight or crossed?

Is it white or black?

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Can you post for me?

Sal M"

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have the original steering wheel on my car. the stitching is straight and looks to have been white when new. the comment about the leatherseam being offcenter at the bottom of the wheel is correct. i also have a replica wheel and the leather seam is centered and the stitching is white and straight. my car is s/n 07714 and was made in january of 74. it has the holes in the sterring wheel. i have seen cars made just before mine and after mine that have no holes. i do not know when the "official change" took place, but it had to have happened in the early part of 74. all the 73 and 72 cars i have seen all have had the holes in the wheel.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave, on the Superformance site they offer a new steering wheel like you're describing for 128.50 Pounds.

Freeman

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

Sorry, didn't read your previous post.

Freeman

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

No problem.

I know you're doing some major research on these things. Have you seen a no-hole steering wheel on any Dinos? I did some digging through my pics from 69-73 and only see wheels with holes.

I have the superperformance wheel on my car now. It looks nice, but lacks the MOMO logo and isn't the right material, either.

There also seems to be two locations for the Momo logo, one is on the very bottom of the spoke in "MOMO" formation, the other is a little higher, and stacked "MO
    -------- MO"
    style.

I'm pretty sure my wheel is original, but it needs some work. I'm going to try and redye the leather, and patch it where it's cracked, and see what I come up with.

DM.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave, I found a website, www.ferraripartsexchange.com/steeringwheels.htm where there are restored Ferrari steering wheels for sale. Its under Lyle Tanner Enterprises (916)638-0444. I've had no experience with him. I'd like to get some feedback from anyone whos dealt with them. The website shows a variety of types of Ferrari steering wheels.

Freeman

12. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
  13. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
  14. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ha!. Busted!!

Buyer beware on ebay I reckon....You never know what sharks are lurking, whether buying or selling.....

15. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Well, I guess it depends how you describe things Phildo, I've always listed things as accurately as I can, you can compare the two listings for the same wheel and draw your own conclusions....

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gosh...someone buying something on ebay, and reselling it for a profit! Unheard of!

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit Aircon...

Carls' description is spot on, the other guy claimed it as an original...shark.

Not a profit sale, a misrepresentation sale.

18. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I did bid on yours but did not win. I still cry about it every now and then...

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    While we are on the topic of Dino wheels, I've seen many 246 Dinos, usually later model GTS, with a Momo 'Cavallino' wheel. Momo sold these aftermarket beginning in the early 70s, but I've seen so many on Dinos, I was wondering if Ferrari launched a few out from the factory. Have also seen them on the resale market by some of the popular respected Ferrari used parts dealers hawked at quite a price. Anyone know for sure?
    thanks
    rt