thoughts on jaguar? | FerrariChat

thoughts on jaguar?

Discussion in 'British' started by MoparMuscle, Nov 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    my parents will be in the market for a v8 luxury car in about 3 or 4 months. i think they are looking to spend around 40k. They were looking at the Infinti FX at first but my mom wanted a car since she will be the primary driver. We looked at the new 300C over the weeked but it had a really cheap feel to it with all the plastic accessories.

A few months ago, my dad and I went at carmax and they had a 03 Jaguar S Type R with ~20k miles for about $41,000. We didn't drive it but I did sit in it and was very impressed with the overall quality of the vehicle. the 03 and 04's retailed around 60 grand. I recently looked on ebay and found that you can get a low mileage S Type R under $40k with GPS. Its hard for me to look beyond the jags beautiful 4.2L supercharged V8 and sexy brembo breaks I just don't want them to buy a clunker. They drive about 3000 miles a month so reliablity is essential. Any comments on jaguar's reliabilty? (They drive a Ford Expo now btw)

Here's one on ebay. 25k miles, GPS, $37, 950.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

At the last leasing company that I worked for we sold a lot of used Jag's and they had the lowest overall re-conditioning costs as compared to BMW, Mercedes..etc.

They also had the heaviest depreciation....so...having said that.....get one three or four years old with about 6 months or less of warranty remaining for the best price that you can and buy the extended warranty.

3. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Paul Grabowski
    I'd say go for it... Jaguar has some incredible sedans out there, but if reliability is key, there are better options.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/M45_Infiniti_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR2QQgotopageZQQlopgZQQsacategoryZ6263QQsamotorscategorymapZ6001QQsapricehiZQQsapriceloZQQsbrftogZ1QQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsocomparecolumnlayoutZ1QQsofocusZbsQQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsotrZ2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6264&item=4503478047&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6299&item=4503002260&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Just some ideas. If reliability is the number one issue, the lexus GS400 would be your best bet IMO. I think the M45 is an often overlooked gorgeous performer.

I personally would love an XJR, but as with your parents, the mileage I put on my car is not a good situation for a daily driver jaguar right now.

As always.... just my 2 cents,
    Paul

4. gentry

gentry Guest

The S-Type R is a great car. I only had an S-Type 4.0, and it was great. Ive grown 3 inches in height since then (2 and change) and no longer fit comfortably, but it was still a great car.

The R in the S-Type doesnt perform quite as well as the XJ, but hey, who can complain with 400hp, that mean grill, gorgeous wheels, and the whine from the blower.

You can still dust mustangs.

5. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina

Do you mean the Xk? The XJ is a much bigger car and being heavier I would think make it slower than an S-type R.

6. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    well i found some nubmers for each car. evidently the xjr is slightly lighter.

2004 XJR
    Curb Weight 3948
    Horsepower 390@6100
    Torque 399@3500
    0-60 5.10 sec.
    1/4 Mile 13.50 sec.

2004 S type R
    Curb Weight 4046 lbs
    Horsepower 390 @ 6100
    Torque 399@ 3500
    0-60 5.20 sec.
    1/4 Mile 13.69 sec.

2004 XKR Coupe
    Curb Weight 3865 lbs
    Horsepower 390 @ 6100
    Torque 399 @ 3500
    0-60 5.30 sec.

7. gentry

gentry Guest

Actually, I believe the XJ is lighter being that it is all aluminum. I could be wrong, but it doesnt matter. Ive driven both, and the XJ performs much better.

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    40k limit and jaguar don't go so hand in hand especially when the wrench is thrown in for 3k miles a month. i recently purchased my wife a car for her daily drive of 250miles and although my price range was higher i found the A8L to be the better car than the jags and even the s class mercs, ovcourse this is my opinion.
    your parents could look into pre-paid leases, less money then a full out purchase and very low rates allows for a higher ceiling cap.

the A8L has a lower MSRP than both the S600 or XJR VDP, but in my review offers more and is much larger than eithier of the other two. 17ft long has it advantages.
    my wife currently has put on 12k miles in less than 2 months and we have had zero trouble. almost boring really, but throw on those butt massagers and i'll drive for hours....

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'll add for those who might want to know. the only trouble with owning an A8 is getting a service appointment, apperrantly only A8 certified techs can touch the car for anything so scheduling a visit has to coincide with the availability of these rare birds. and if you get snackered well off to an A8 center and CA only has 2 one in Los Angeles and the other in San Francisco. otherwise thats it.

my next schedualed visit i made in advance and the earliest date is in the end of december.

10. gentry

gentry Guest

I would opt for a lease on an A8L actually. 36 month lease would run less than 40k.

As far Jaguar quality, they have improved exponentially since Ford took them over and infused alot of money into new factories and technology.

11. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Jaguar's have peerless build quality combined with elegant styling and the Type R is super fast, (Recently won a Top Gear shoot out) here in the UK !

You will not go wrong with a Jag - I am a 20 year owner of a XK150, and several modern jags including an S type R.

ATB - Good Luck,

Seb

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i agree, the japanese cars are much more reliable than the jags...look at the incidence of repair records from consumer reports , jd powers quality survey and various long term test cars in auto mags and you can see jag does have is reliability issues...my friend had an type s that i got to drive extensively... very quick, but i didnt think it was great chassis, or steering or engine sound...he also had it in the shop 15 times the 1 st year it was new and finally sold it ...iwould trust the car with 3 k miles a month...now about a used 540i?less hp but a better car and chassis and better built....

13. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    As an interesting side note - I just purchased a 4th car - since I put about 700 miles a week - and my other 3 cars are not "efficient" in gas and long distance driving 2 SUV's and 1 F-car. I just bought a new 2004 Jag X-type (the 2.5 manual transmission). Standard options - nothing fancy. 30 MPG, etc. I was going to get a honda accord or something similar - I wanted new for warranty purposes and my company pays a car allowance, etc.

I ended up with this little AWD Jag for $22,800 out the door - which is (IMO a tremendous deal) this is brand new 2004, no miles - aka brand new. I had owned a few Jags in the past (XKR and an Stype) - which I thought were good cars - not great. The dealer had 5 2.5 Xtypes they wanted to move before the end of the year - and I decided on this instead of a Honda/toyota, etc. All service is included for the 4 years or 50K miles...

I have had the car for a few weeks and have put about 1400 miles on it. Again it is nothing fancy - but this car from a solid standpoint feel better than the XKR or S-type did. And for 23K as opposed to 75K and 46K - for the other Jags I have owned - I am pretty impressed - for a very low priced entry vehicle - I like it so far.

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have owned 2 Jag XJ's, and bought them both from www.texas-cars.com. I've had no trouble with either car beyond what I would expect from any car. I'm driving my '02 XJ Sport about 1200 miles/month, nowhere near what your parents drive, but it doesn't stay parked either. I put about 60k miles on my 95 XJ6 and it was pretty much trouble free. I wouldn't be concerned so much with reliability as I would with the cost of repairs. When something does break, it's expensive. I just buy aftermarket warranties and let them pay for it. I'll probably buy another Jag when I retire my current car, they make great daily drivers.