American Airlines STOPPED pillow service on its flights | FerrariChat

American Airlines STOPPED pillow service on its flights

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Hubert888, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    American Airlines today announced that they will not have pillows aboard their flights anymore (im sure first class will still have 'em). This move will save the company in the mid to high 6 figures a year.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Amazing. How long until they take away blankets?
    And I love how the outside of the plane says "luxury liner"

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Next , you ll have to pay to go pee..

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

So it's now BYOP? This, is those brilliant suits thinking of some great cost cutting measures........... If I were the competition I'd be all over this with some great, "And yes, we give you pillows" ads. Or, "At ____airlines we've got more cussion for the push'n!" ;)

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    All this pillow talk is making me......

6. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Got lice from an airplane pillow.

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    nice!!!

8. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I am sure she told her husband that..... :)

9. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    LOL

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

As long as they don't cut back on mechanics!!

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I'm sort of surprised the reaction here.

I don't use those airplane pillow for sanitary & comfort reason. These pillow really don't support my neck to be comfortable, and polyesther cover makes my skin itchy. I smelled it once, and it stunk!

When I was talking to FA's at their cube during the flight, I mentioned of pillows, and they said these pillows cause more trouble than appreciation by customers. It makes sense to delete the service, which is not appreciated, takes 6 figures to maintein, and you can get the replacement at luggage stores for $10-20 if you really want it.

I wouldn't pick airline for the availability of pillows, either. FA's looks & service counts higher for me!

12. Sain

Sain Rookie

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ^^ I'm sure a lot of people don't either...at least not on their head. When you have to fly for a couple that pillow comes in handy when those stiff seats start hurting your backside...which would explain why it stinks ;)

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    So why doesn't someone just bring there own custom designed, inflatable pillow that fits easly in a carry on? Problem solved.

14. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And you would have to be very desperate to make a run at it.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I use my own little neck-brace pillow, but I'm still amazed how *cheap* airlines are getting with things... maybe it's that I'm paying cash per transaction instead of having it hidden into ticket prices (actually more economically efficient - I don't pay for what I don't use). But having to physically hand over $8 for a sandwich hurts.

16. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    With ticket prices becoming as cheap as they are, it makes me wonder how airlines can perform adequate safety checks to make air travel safe. Always made me wonder with all these airlines going bankrupt, how much they must be skimping on saftey just to make a buck. This being said i don't mind paying a little more or losing some benefits that were standard before as long as they use the money saved to improve safety.

17. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I think airline pillows suck and it's fine with me if they remove them. But they should reduce ticket prices accordingly Even if it is pennies per ticket, why aren't the passing on at least some of the savings back to the consumer?

A couple of years ago I took a a nice large, comfy pillow from home on a United Airlines long haul flight. It was great. But as I was walking off, a stewardess accused me of stealing a first-class pillow. The whole crew ganged up with big, accusing glares and ominous mutterings. I showed them the label and proved them wrong, and not one of them had the decency to apologise. That was the last time I flew United. It's a shame, as San Francisco is a United hub, and I fly at least twice a month. But those rude fu@ks are not getting any more business from me.