Merged: Fire at Dutch Ferrari dealership Munsterhuis | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Merged: Fire at Dutch Ferrari dealership Munsterhuis

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by evandaalen, Oct 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I thought I saw a Boxer in the pics, sure enough 84 BBi

47 Exotic Cars Destroyed in Fire
    27 Ferraris burnt to a crisp in dealership fire.
    A dramatic fire at the Ferrari-Maserati dealership Munsterhuis in Holland, saw nearly fifty rare and valuable exotic sportscars literally going up on smoke.

Sunday afternoon saw the prestige dealership, which also includes Jeep and Konigsegg franchises, suffer a fire which quickly took grip.

Fifty six cars out of the total stock of sixty were burnt to a cinder. The majority of them, forty seven in all, were exotic sportscars. Twenty seven Ferraris were destroyed.

Current models destroyed include the 360 Modena and Spider F1, Challenge Stradale, 575 M Maranello F1 and 612 Scaglietti. Famous past models include a 1971 365 GTB 'Daytona', a 1984 512BB, a 1990 and a 1991 F40, and a 1987 Testarossa. 308 GTB, 308 GTS, F355 GTS, F355 GTB, 348 GTS, 348 Spider, the list rolls on.

Ten Maseratis were also fried. Other prestige sportscars to be destroyed include two Lamborghini's, a rare Konigsegg, as well as several historic racing cars.

A Dutch Fire Brigade spokesman confirmed that security precautions in place to satisfy the insurance regulations, which saw all the cars locked up, prevented the firemen from moving them, and with it the possibility of saving any. The insurance claim is expected to run into several tens of millions of euros.

Joint owner of the business, Frans Munsterhuis Jr was at Monza for the Ferrari-Maserati 'World Finals' at the time of the incident, as the dealership's racing team were taking part in the Ferrari 360 Challenge races.

"I have not seen the mess yet," Munsterhuis commented. "My father and brother, with whom I built up the company, warned me not to come along. Mechanics and secretaries were crying at the flames.

"Our life work has gone up in flames. All of our cars, and the customers cars were insured, but we have to start from scratch. We lost all of our collectables, unique photos, rare documents, signed books, the list goes on. Those are irreplaceable."

This is the second major fire to hit Ferrari this year. Back in March a blaze at the Maranello factory destroyed several new prototypes, putting back new model development.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are the blessing ... one 612 has been removed, forever saving our eyes ;). No matter how bad a situation there is always a silver lining.

Pete

3. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
  4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    thanks for the pix --i guess-- just emphasizes the sense of loss........i know, just metal, but still......

james

5. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Yes, it's sad to know these cars are all burned now... :( Imagine them in a sea of fire... :(

Wish I could have drove out just one or two cars to my home just before this took place... Now they're lost anyway...

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    2 F40's? :(

At least no one was hurt...

7. Wow the pictures before the fire make me want to cry.. Honestly can you imagine all of those beautifull cars in a fire. I cant......

8. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Very sad. A shame that this happened.

9. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Utterly sickening.....

It is strange that a battery charger could have started such a fire. The area where it initially started must have been carpeted or cluttered with oily rags and other flammable materials.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the f40's will probably not be salvageable. the modern stuff is a tragic loss but not heart stopping.
    and i bet that any worthwhile vintage models will be salvaged and back on the road within 5 years.....

on the insurance question, if you leave your car at a dealer on consignment, then his insurance covers your car. at least that is the way i have always done it. any other way, and you are just stupid to leave it there.

11. newfer

newfer Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    What was the annual insurance premium?

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 348 was about £1200 and the 512 is about £1450

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There was not a single car in there that was worth a dead or injured firefighter. I think it was better they knew they had no chance to save them.

14. etomcat

etomcat Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Hungary
    Full Name:
    Tamas Feher
    Look at the building's picture. The yellow glass Ferrari word and prancing horse coat on the roof are still intact, even though the wall burnt through right under them. Should't hot smoke make it shatter?

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    3 x F40's destroyed, (One of a well known CEO of a property investment company)
    No Enzo destroyed.

(Inside info I got from a friend yesterday who actually driven all three F40's)

16. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Do they still have that beautiful red 365 boxer? Sold before fire, damaged in the fire, still there? For sale, asking...?

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Who bumped this ?

18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    There WAS a Boxer, 512BBi.........burned to the ground

19. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    .... but the 365 GT4 BB that used to be there SURVIVED, as that one was not present at the time of the fire ....

20. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I guess the value of our Ferrari's just went up a hair.

21. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    True.
    Now they get a new buidling with competition department :)

22. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    i guess no one noticed that this thread was pulled up from october 04...

23. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
  24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I could not watch the whole video!

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    at the end of the video, it says a 250 gto was destroyed in the fire. i haven't heard that before. is the production person just getting a little creative?