How do you bolt a Tubi test pipe onto the Muffler 348ts | FerrariChat

How do you bolt a Tubi test pipe onto the Muffler 348ts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PassionIsFerrari, Nov 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The pipe that comes from the motor has a the clamp that bolts on but the side that attaches into the muffler does not...how do you bolt this onto the muffler?

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Clamps?.............Doesn't it have flanges???

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    The part you are missing is attached to the muffler. It is not properly shown in the WSM but as soon as you disassemble your exhaust system you will see what I mean.

4. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi Aaron,

Here are some pitcures for you. I'm not at all a technical guy, but I know how to use my new digital camera :D

I hope they help. If you need me to go take a picture from a different angle or something, just let me know.

5. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Amazing pics...Thank you very much...the last pic probably answered my question. The piece that is clamped onto the test pipe...i believe that is still clamped onto my cat (meow). Have to see if it is indeed part of the cat or if i can remove it. Out of curiousity, what is the purpose of those springs...also, my exhaust donuts are flaking off. Do I need to get new ones, and if i do...do i have to dig the old ones off?

6. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I heard the donuts are asbestos material (so use proper protection). Just replace them. It's about $15 a piece. Check the forum sponsor sodacoms.com. I think that's where I got mine.

Good luck

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aaron... glad I can help you.

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions because I am not that knowledgable about working on the car.

8. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    Aaron-You will need new gaskets(donuts). The old ones should be removed. I replaced mine a few months ago with a couple from NAPA...They were like $2.00.........

-Jay

9. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Who did you get your test pipes from ? I have been looking at some from HG parts for my 94 348 spider. Please fill me in on the finished results. I'm going to start with test pipes, & add tubi exhaust later.
    thanks, Mark T.

10. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mark,

Get the Test pipes from HG parts--Heiko is a great guy.

There is a multitude of threads on the Tubi test pipes... do a search for detailed information. The short answer is... THEY'RE AWESOME!

11. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Bought mine from Heiko at www.hgparts.net....$350 for the set. He got them to me in like 3 days! From Germany! To Alabamer! I was thoroughly impressed..I ordered a 4 1/2 and a 3 1/2 inch cavallino emblem in chrome from them the other day. Mine is black so i wanted it to stand out a little bit...now what to do with the black one...what is the best way to get the old donuts off? They look caked on pretty bad. Ski Guy, do you know the part number or what to ask for?..They are about 12 bucks a pop at www.allferrariparts.com....I like 2 bucks better.

12. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Ok...figured it out....There is a piece that clamps onto the cat that must come off and slide over the straightpipe side of the test pipe. It finally came on with some wd40. Thanks for the pics, that was the key for me to figure it out!

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

glad I could help!

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Do you remember, or still have the part number?

15. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    Ernie-I took one of the old ones to NAPA and we matched it up...Perect fit. I don't think I saved the part #. I will double check tomorrow.

-Jay

16. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    I found the size of the exhaust donuts in an old thread. Size is 54.3mm.