308 differential | FerrariChat

308 differential

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AFire, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    Hello,

is it possible to open, test and overhaul the differential with installed engine/gear box?

Best regards,

AFire

2. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    Remove the 1-4 exhaust manifold and you can remove the differential cover . Unbolt the half shafts and take out the differential.

3. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    THANKS "slewman" !!

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I can confirm that on '82 308i you can remove the 1-4 header and then remove the differential cover and differential internal. The way I removed it from the chassis was by removing the cats or bypass pipes. Comes out fairly easy.

5. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Is it possible to change the gearing in the diff on a 208 GT4? Trying to make the overall gearing less high revving.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Compare the ratios of the various V8s GT4, 308,329. Changing the differential ratio would be a lot of work and expensive. The main shaft of the transmission is the pinion gear. The transfer gears by the clutch were made in different ratios for the different models. Those are super easy to change. Look into the ratio of those for a base version and a US version of those. I suspect a US version 328 will have the highest ratio of the transfer gears but thats just a guess.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe it is physically possible, but you'll have two issues (assuming that you can get the parts):

1. Unlike this discussion about just rebuilding the differential (which has only the crown gear), you'd need to replace both the pinion gear and the crown gear = this requires disassembling the gearbox as well so much more labor cost, and, maybe more importantly,

2. They went to the high revving gearing (15/69 diff) because the (non-turbo) 2.0L just doesn't have the low end torque of the (non-turbo) 3.0L. Even on the first turbo 208 they still went a little higher revving with a 16/69 diff. They didn't go to the 3.0L 17/63 diff until the later turbo 2.0L models. Maybe you could live with the 16/69 diff if you were willing to live with less low end acceleration, but to use the 17/63 diff like the 3.0L models you'd probably need to add engine power.

8. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Thanks for entertaining the idea gents, I'm convinced it will work. The car has plenty of torque on the road regardless of what the specs say, it pulls strongly above 2500. My goal is to take the motor from revving at 5000rpm at 90 mph down to say 4000, which is still nicely within its torque band.

9. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    As per other thread live with it for a year .

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The real fix is to get a 328. Its pretty happy at a 100 or more cruise.

f355spider likes this.
  11. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Thanks again gents, having lived with it for two more days I'm going to let it be, why mess with such a great thing.

Portofino likes this.