My 308's headlights... "jiggle"! | FerrariChat

My 308's headlights... "jiggle"!

Discussion in '308/328' started by etip, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just got back from a nice night cruise and the whole time my headlights were jiggling. I checked them at home and there is some play in the flip-up assembly. Is this a normal problem on older 308s (1980)??

I haven't had a chance to dig in yet, but was wondering if I can adjust the play out of the assembly or if this is just the way it is?

thanks in advance,
    etip

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Another headlight question? Try checking the bolts that hold the braket together. You have to pull the grill behind the lights to get to the outer ones. Check to make sure all the mounting bolts are tight and they shouldn't jiggle any more.

I actually had a bolt fall out while driving home one night. I thought the light went out but the whole assembly had fallen halfway back in the hole. Tightened them both up and haven't had any problems since!

The best part was that the bolt fell down and landed on the lower panel and sat right there till I picked it up and put it back in. What luck!!!

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Also check the lever that raises the headlight assembly. the nut which attaches it to the side of the housing may have come loose.

4. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, nothing like a nice high speed night drive to let you know what lighting problems one has!!!

Thanks for the info John and Tom, I'll check those things ASAP.
    etip

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    FYI - Please be careful when playing with the headlights - The motor is very powerful & can take your finger off if activated while you are in there.

Once the headlights are up, it would be best to disconnect the battery.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Excellent advice!! They are very strong little motors.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    great, thanks I will!!!!

8. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I was fooling with mine about a year or so ago and one of the little mo'fos had the temerity to fall down and disappear in a gravel driveway.

Luckily for me, Lowe's Home Improvement had a bunch of short little metric slotheads that fit perfectly- both the little ones that hold the retaining flanges over the bulb and the larger ones that hold the sides of the brackets.

9. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

My wounded index finger says, "You've got THAT right." OUCH !!! :)