A NASCAR "Ferrari"? | FerrariChat

A NASCAR "Ferrari"?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Gatorrari, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I photographed this model at the NNL Southern Nationals car show held this past Saturday. Can anyone tell me about the subject?

A Google search revealed nothing more than another photo of the same model (with the same disagreement between car numbers "69" and "96") and a link to an eBay merchant selling the decals.

I checked sources and can find no record of Phil Parsons ever driving a Lumina number 69 or 96 in NASCAR competition. (Considering the I.D. of the sponsor, I would guess the car might have been a one-off entry for the Sears Point race.) So I'm guessing the color scheme is a figment of someone's imagination?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I like how the numbers flip flop around. LOL.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The Lumina didn't come into Nascar until 1988. Between 1988 and 1992 Phil Parsons ran Oldsmobiles and Fords. He ran a Lumina in 1993, but was sponsored by Manheim Auctions (at least through Martinsville). The car number was 41. He switched to a Ford team for the last race of 1993 and stayed in a Ford through 1995.

He ran a limited schedule in 1997 in a Chevy (1 race!) and was sponsored by BellSouth. That car was number 42

4. Iceman.1

Iceman.1 Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    This car is well known in scale model circles because it is unique and a fun build.
    It is indeed a real car and the numbers are accurate with the roof number backwards.

I am going by memory and am a bit foggy on some of the details.

The entry was a complete screw up...right down to the backward numbers. It was only entered once and as I recall, and I might be wrong, it failed to make the grid. I believe it was for an oval race but am not certain.

In 1/43 Starter made a kit of this car.

Bill

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well I'll be damned.

I found the record of the car.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/1990/28/data/results_official.html

It wasn't Phil Parsons, it was Brent Kneading driving it in the Checker 500 at Phoenix International Raceway on November 04, 1990. Finished 29th, started 38th and ran #69. That was Brent's only start, and I can't find anything about the guy. Maybe a pseudonym?

6. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    There is a well known west coast sprint car/oval track racer named Brent Kaeding who I would guess is the driver in question. More than likely his name was mispelled on the results. His sons are also excellent drivers.

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yep, that's it. With the new spelling I found this:

http://racing-reference.com/rquery?id=kaedibr01&trk=009&series=W

So I wonder why the Parsons name is on the model?

I haven't found any shots of the real car, just the model

Of interest is the fact that Phoenix had an F1 race that year, maybe there was a tie-in there somewhere?

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Good detective work! Now I know why I found nothing under Phil Parsons' name. Thank you. Now let's see if anyone can come up with a photo of the actual car.

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So it was sponsored by Ferrari of Los Gatos.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I sent Mr. Kaeding an email, I hope he responds.