Paging Randy Schatten... | FerrariChat

Paging Randy Schatten...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What do you think of this...? i just Xed it out; it says advertisement in the corner; had i hit Yes, i would've unwittingly downloaded some hellish crap that overran my last computer...?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    it's evil evil stuff. at least they put 'advertisement' in the bottom right hand corner. but there are lots of warnings. ads were *supposed* to stop mimicing windows dialog boxes and prompts, yet they continue to do so.

ignore it, if it continues, see if it comes up at a particular site, which means you need to stop going to the naughty sites Carbon, or... you need to scan away with adaware/spybot stuff.

3. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    actually i had one today that actually looked authentic. it wasn't enclosed in a regular browser window, but very well mimicked a system dialog. jeez, can't remember what it said, but it had a 3-way button and despite the gazillions of things i've seen of this nature i almost clicked it.

as technology progresses, i believe i'll find myself separating from it.

4. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Randy,

Just a general question - tangentially related to the whole discussion of adware, spyware, virus, etc. etc. etc.

Is the Mac OS subject to these same problems? If I were to get a Mac for home use and my kids to use - would that be less prone to infection by bad stuff?

OR

Am I simply trading one problem (Windows nasties) for another (Mac nasties)

Your thoughts ?

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Mark, I've always wanted to make "the switch", but just not yet. A friend of mine, and fellow fchatter, "Sondra" has recently made the switch. She wonders why it took her so long to do so. She doesn't have any of the typical windows issues with spyware/malware. The developers for software on the mac and drivers for various hardware, go through many more tests and qualification tests to certify them. And then you have... windows. The drivers are updated quite often (video mainly) and not all is compatible. With mac, it works or it doesn't. That's it. Most of the time, it just does work. I don't have one, but support a handful here at work, which requires me to do next to nothing on them. Problems? I doubt it. Great package. Just the software/games, etc. are tailored for the mac and can be slightly more expensive. Drop Sondra a message and inquire with any problems she might have had. I'm sure she'll respond positively.

6. Sondra

Sondra Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Sondra
    Thanks for letting me know about this, Randy.

I've had my Mac for about 7 months now, and I'm really happy with it. It seems that Apple really thought of everything: the OS is extremely easy to navigate. If you need something, look where you think it should be and it will be there, unlike Windows, which feels a lot like a Choose Your Own Adventure book in that you have to go through specific choices on specific, obscure windows to get to, say, Defrag.

I haven't had any issues that I know of with spyware or viruses. They do make antivirus software for Mac and perhaps I'm being a little naive, but I haven't seen the need for it yet. When I get $50 I won't miss, I will probably invest in some just to be on the safe side though.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Those Choose Your Own Adventure books were awesome!

(sorry, you just brought back some good times. :) )

8. itsarevolution

itsarevolution Karting

Jan 16, 2004
    Westchester / NY
    Full Name:
    Cem O.
    Get mac , say goodbye to viruses or any kind of crash or error.. welcome the stable computer life and warm beauty of the os x.. fUgly windows , jeez!

9. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sondra, Cem,

thanks. that's what I kind of expected. I appreciate your comments. I think that for my next PC I'll try a Mac. Most of what i do at home is internet stuff anyway (online banking, email, that kind of stuff). I do have some personal spreadsheets (excel) and the like, but I know there are ways they can be ported over, so that's not much of a concern.

Thanks again,