HELP STEVE DECIDE, cast your vote! | FerrariChat

HELP STEVE DECIDE, cast your vote!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Steve R, Nov 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Why should I decide which car to buy....you guys do it. You've got more experience, knowledge and...well, I've got nothing to lose. Dial me in boys! I't's come down to 2 cars and the decision is killing me:

'99 Black/Black spyder fiorano F1, 6k miles, NO 30K service yet, flawless body/interior and can be had for about $125k

OR

'97 Black/Tan spyder 6-speed, 12k miles, 30k service done, all mechanic stuff done right, some upgrades, perfect body/interior for about $95k

I'm leaning towards the '97 The '97 will cost $30k less and be much easier to sell in a few years because it'll be below the 6-figure mark that sellers say it hard for buyers to get past. The 6-speed is supposedly more popular amoung used car enthusiast and again will help it sell and be less costly clutch-wise. Registration and insurance will be less and I think I'll be more inclined to just drive the heck out of it and not keep it like a museum piece. I'll enjoy it until it's time to move on the 360 and it's an awesome 1st Ferrari to own.

Yet, the Fiorano is HOT, it's sick and one of the finest 355's out there. The F1 shifting seems fun and it's interesting. The Carbon Fiber and black interior scream sports car. It's more "rare", exotic and some suggest it'll hold value better (my thought is they'll decline at an equal rate). My only concern is that I'll moreso baby it, feel compelled to keep the mileage low and maintain the thing more like a museum piece that has to be preserved.

Tough call. Either can be argued for. If anyone has any thoughts I've not mentioned, PLEASE throw out your 2-cents!!!!

Help Steve decide which car. If I don't put a Ferrari in my garage soon....(never mind missing the toys-for-tots drive in a few weeks)...I may DIE!!!!

2. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Go for the 97 . The F1 on the 355's are not that great.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'd go with the '97. I just can't justify the premium for the Fiorano.

Also, I prefer a 6 speed.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    97 . Its about 35k$ cheaper and a manual. A spider should be manual IMO. :)

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    go for '97, oh, and offer 10k less when u negociate.

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    so does a coupe ;)

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  8. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    97 all the way

9. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    That does it, that did it.....THANKS BRO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just called the owner and had a great talk with him. I'm there, we're done and the car will be mine.

Me so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going offroading this weekend in the Hummer. Sunday I'll clear the garage for the impending arrival. I really feel great about this decision....with any luck I'll have some pics up and news of my first spin-out by mid week!!!

One quirky thing, the exhuast is a "Capristo 3". He says it's much better then a Tubi. I'm not worried about it, just curious.....

[Removed per request by Auraraptor]

And here's another funny thing. My neighbor, who has a viper, has been buggin' me about living life and getting a sport car. As we type, his viper is listed for sale on Ebay. Mine will come rippin' in as his goes out.

Thanks again for the help in deciding. Am I really that impressionable...apparently yes! For this driver, FerrariChat came through.

So guys...what should I have for lunch? Sushi or Pizza...help Steve decide :) :) :) :)

10. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003

Well I missed the opportunity to tell you to get the '97, so have Sushi !

11. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    [Removed per request (related to above) by Auraraptor]

Anyone know anything about a Capristo exhuast?

12. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Thank you AuraLord.....

....like a good moderator, Aura is there (you know that tune)

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You made the right choice.

I would be interested in one of the 6 speed Fioranos though...

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Did you get a good PPI on the '97 done? I'm sure you did and now is the time to be fussy with condition and not later when the repair bills start piling up cuz it's a clunker. Just check'n. Good luck with it.

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The level 3 capristo is pretty loud (on a 360 anyway). Not a bad thing in my opinion. :) Others may like it a bit quieter.

Congrats!! Post pics when the beauty arrives.

16. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    While I find the F1 technology fascinating, I agree with the others that the '97 is the way to go. '99 was one of the very first years for the F1 transmission and the system was not refined at all. In full automatic mode, shifts are VERY rough.

Hope you get the car you've always dreamed about. I hope that one day I too will be able to buy my dream F-car.

17. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    zjpj.....Fiorano's are all F1's

Ya know, it's funny, the only reason I wanted an F1 was because I couldn't get silky-smooth shifts between gears with the 6-speed. I'm smooth as silk coming away from a stop, but between gears you can thoroughly feel the transitions. Revving it up and shifting quicker mellows it out, but everyone just says "it's not an Audi...your moving a heavy duty strong gearbox built for taking torque and lasting....it's not going to shift like a Toyota".

I'm cool with it, can't wait to annoy the neighbors.

I haven't done the PPI, but the seller has an astonishing reputation, lots of papers to back up the maintainance and my gutt tells me it's all good and ready to run.

This will be my first-ever black car...hope some of the stories of keeping it clean are exaggerated!

18. gabbagabbahey

gabbagabbahey Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    So was it Pizza or Sushi? I would have voted Pizza since it is a hardier more hands on food than Sushi.

19. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Well Gabb...

I'll tell ya....it was actually neither, I had to stay home/office and take calls and finalize the work for tomorrow. I'm doing the Hummer thing with 2 Ferrari buds tomorrow and just didn't have time to get out for lunch.

BUT...I want to assure you that Sushi would have been the call. Pizza, albeit delicious, is just too high in carbs, nasty meats and cholesterol. Sushi wins the health-battle hands down. As for later....

Ferrari....it's what's for dinner!

First thing I'm gonna do is take the wife out to dinner. We'll take Malibu Canyon out to PCH and then cruise up the coast to a nice restaurant. I'll swallow that meal so quick just to get back in the car and hit the road again.

Very anxious. Car is amazing, but I'm still figuring on a PPI and some other stuff before dropping the coin for sure. The cars service, records and owner all stand up as being awesome...but too many have told me to do the PPI just the same....

20. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    there were a few 99 Fiorano's with the 6spd.No.19 Yellow/Blk is a 6spd for sale at Cammisa Motorcars in Burlingame,Ca.Asking price is 125k.Of the 104 Fiorano's,only three were 6spd.
    Go with the 97,sounds like a pretty decent buy,Spiders are definately the way to go.Make sure to get a PPI from a trusted shop.

21. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    There is a great sushi place about 20 miles from our house and my wife loves to get take out sushi ,before the 355 it was allways a paine in the a--s to hear those words "honey would go and get sushi tonight " now I think 70%of the miles on the 355 are from me picking up sushi.The ride down is lots of fun but on the way home it is tough to keep things from geting a bit mixed up
    I wish the sushi place was 40 miles from the house
    DAVID

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No problem. Good luck with your search!