P&S Digital Camera for Quickie Car Shots | FerrariChat

P&S Digital Camera for Quickie Car Shots

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by venusone, Nov 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #1 venusone, Nov 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just took my first photos w/ my new Nikon D70. Here is one. My question is for an inexpensive digital camera ($200.00) what do you like? Bought a Canon A60 a couple months back & have hardly used it, but now the auto focus doesn’t work. I just want a point & shoot for quickie car shots.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Canon PowerShot Digital ELPH. It gets my vote!

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I got a Sony DSC-W1 ... more than 200$ for sure, but it's great. Powers up super quickly, big screen (2.5" vs 1.5"). Makes great pictures too.

Canon are POS. I had a Powersh!t S1 ... spent more time in for repair. Then had an A40. Like you, after a year, the auto-focus stopped working. POS, I tell ya.

edit - Sony and Canon are the only digicams I'd consider. All the others have MUCH lower quality conversion (usually lots of noise or lack of precision)

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I have a Nikon CoolPix 3200. Paid a couple hundred for it, it fits in my pocket, takes a 3.2 MP pic, and has a sport mode that fires off three quickie shots.

5. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    I picked up a Canon A70 Powershot last year and have used it several times at FCA events. Great camera, great photos. Highly recommended. Plus, I like the fact that I can shoot video with the camera (which came in handy for in-car video while in a 360, 348 Challenge car and Porsche GT3).

6. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    I really like my Cannon PowerShot A85.

Check out www.dpreview.com nice site with reviews and head to head comparisons.

Cheers,

7. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    The new Consumer Reports has a full rundown on all the new digital cameras with their pics. But, I left mine at home or I'd tell you what their pics were. Run out to the book store and pick one up. It's their largest digital issue ever. From cameras, DVD players/recorders, TIVO recorders, big screen TVs, you name it they're covering it.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    One stat that the little P&S digital cameras do NOT list but is critical IMO is the shutter lag (the time from when you push the button to the time that the picture is actually taken). The Kodak camera we have is completely annoying in this respect... you push the button as someone's walking to you... the picture doesn't take until they've stopped turned around and started walking off. Ugh!

I ended up paying a tad extra for an awesome P&S... Casio Exilim Z40... I bought it simply because it had the shortest shutter lag (I was that annoyed with that issue), but its also one of the smallest cameras, fitting very comfortably in a pocket, 4MP, good zoom, Pentax lens... really a great camera. Liked it so much, I replaced the Olympus at my business with one as well.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Another data point:

I've had very good luck with Canon digital cameras, very reliable, excellent results.

Gary

10. marinelo

marinelo Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Rob
    nevermind the camera, I like the car!

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Love my Panasonic DMC-LC33.

12. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    I have really enjoyed my Canon A70 3.2mp.
    Fits in my pocket and takes great pics.
    Brian is right about the shutter lag.
    I wish mine had a quicker cycle time between shots.
    Heres an example from my A70 at this years FFQC