Took delivery of the 612 today | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Took delivery of the 612 today

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by eric, Nov 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I need to see this car in person. That is a good color for that car!

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Stunning. Enjoy it in good health.

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    One word...Gorgeous!!!

4. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    thats beautiful, looks better than the pics I saw in the magazines.

5. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Very nice indeed, run it in over the weekend and then see what it'll do....I forget, you already did that when you picked it up. Congratulations.

6. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Smooth:

At very slow speeds, the engine still manages to just purr. 1st gear at 5 mph, the clutch is fully engaged, the revs are just over 1000, and the car moves along like it’s flowing on water. Press the go-pedal, and it just goes. At 55 (my usual Hwy cruising speed :) ) in sixth gear, it’s purring along below 2K rpm. Press the go-pedal firmly, and it just picks up and moves. Next thing you know, you’ve doubled your speed.

With the suspension set to normal mode (as opposed to Sport mode) the ride is smoother than my BMW 745. Much like the 745, around a corner, the car stays flat, irrespective of speed or cornering forces.

The seats are so comfortable!! Oh my God. I could sit in this car for a full day of driving and not feel it. I can move the seat too far back, and could easily fit a helmet on without compromising my seating position. For comparison, in the 456 I always rubbed the roof with the top of my head unless I radically reclined the sat back. With the seat in the full back position, my knees were still very close to the dash, and I could not easily reach the steering wheel. With helmet on, my driving position was ludicrous: knees into the steering wheel, and forget about heel-toe.

Cruising along at nearly any speed so far is just so effortless. If all cars were even half as good at speed as this, national speed laws would be a joke. Oh wait, they are a joke. Anyway, I might need to visit some of those lonely AZ/UT/WY/NM/TX highways soon.

Responsive:

I gotta share some of my favorite quotes from the users manual:

“If the accelerator pedal is pressed very quickly fully down, with the CST cut out and the “SPORT” button activated, there will be a “performance” start-off, which will involve marked skidding of the driving wheels even under good grip conditions.

Now, you just know I’m going to check that out soon. :)
    Also liked this one:

“Gear-shifting will be faster if the request is made with the accelerator pedal pressed all the way down and with the engine running at over 5500 rpm.”

Done it, and they’re right! What they didn’t mention is that this is also about the time you should be thinking to hit the shift paddle, cuz redline is nanoseconds away in at least the first three gears (still need to explore the other three gears).

And this quote is just plain taunting me:

“Gear shifting will be “faster” if requested with the accelerator pedal pressed completely down and at over approximately 7000 rpm. Under these conditions, even on dry roadways, the driving wheels could start to skid (particularly in low gears).”

Now they’re really challenging me. If I start thinking of shifting under fully depressed throttle pedal situation at say 5500 rpm, I’m not going to make it before it hits the rev limiter at somewhere over 7500 rpm. I have a new mission in life: consistently shifting at somewhere between 7000 and 7500 rpm. Just going to take more time behind the wheel to develop a better sense of communication without conscious thought.

At first I felt the steering was way too twitchy and insensitive. Of course, part of that was a result of taking my first drive in the car going across the floating bridge in gale force cross winds. After only a day, I’ve easily adapted to the “feel” of the steering, and find it very comfortable, precise, and easy to judge. I’m anxious to start really pressing it into the turns. Track day here we come!

Braking is, well, have I used AWESOME in the last two sentences? I haven’t even begun to approach their limit, but under moderate braking the feeling is so controlled, it’s just wonderful.

Enough rambling for now. Suffice to say, The Grin is firmly in place, and not likely to go away soon.

7. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Yes, this is the same car.

8. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Here's one Roberto shot of the interior for me. I'll get some of my own shots soon.

9. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    What's that computer thing? That's what dealerships use before they deliever cars, right?

10. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Eric,
    Beautiful car. Congrats.
    Just out of curiosity, how much HP does that thing make???

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is a beautiful car! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

12. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    WOW! Can't wait to see it in person. Beautiful car, Eric!

13. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    It seems like its been a long wait since you first saw it in NY and we saw it at St Michelle - and I'm not even taking delivery of it.

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Hey Eric I was wondering if you are going to consider some Tubi's for your 612?

15. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    I saw your 612 out in front of FoS today with a couple other cars. I tried to stop by and take some pics, but you were gone before i got back from parking.

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Congratulations Eric. The car looks like a beauty! More pictures puh-lease!!

17. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    Extremely nice ride, Eric; congratulations! If I were in need of a four-seater, that's what I'd want. Enjoy, and I hope you'll continue to keep us posted with your driving impressions & photos.

dn

18. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    No tubis for me. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket exhaust systems. I really like the sound of the car as is. I have a hotrod with glass packs behind a pumped-up small block chevy for making raucus noise. :)

19. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Yeah, we had quite the collection out there today: our 612, a friend's 575 with the same paint color, a black 456, a silver 360, and an absolutely gorgeous blue Maserati QP. We had stoppped in to just take care of some last little details, like picking up the QP before heading home, and ended up hanging out and gabbing for an hour and a half.

20. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    It's the third generation proprietary diagnostic computer used by Ferrari dealers to maintain the cars. The SD3 is new for the MAserati QP and the 612.

21. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awsome Eric, Congrats! Love the 612. Great color. Enjoyed reading your impressions. Enjoy those 12 cyls.!!!

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    See post #1

23. Rosso360

Rosso360 Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    How does it feel to own the sweetest Ferrari in town. I just love that car!!!!

Congrats!!!!

24. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    The color is goooorgeous!! Have fun Eric.

25. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    I can't wait to see it in person - that color looks GREAT!