california 355 owners- headers? | FerrariChat

california 355 owners- headers?

Discussion in '348/355' started by kennyjr748, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kennyjr748

kennyjr748 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    san francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    What are california 355 owners doing when the exhaust manifolds go? Are the aftermarket headers street legal?

Thanks
    Kenny

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are tons of threads on 355 exhaust manifolds, please check the archi....ah forget it... ;)

3. kennyjr748

kennyjr748 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    san francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I get it... I have read the archives... I do know they fail...

My question is simply for california residents- since we seem to have the most stringent smog policies in the nation. Can we legally change the oem units to aftermarket units and still pass smog?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never had it come up. The good news is that with very few exceptions the smog stations don't even know what it is supposed to look like under the hood so they will not think to ask, as long as the air inj and cats are there. And the guys I know who know the diff don't care. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IMO, this question has different levels to consider.

If the aftermarket version is a quality part with the same features and functional components, I can't even envision what issue would ever even come up where the manufacturer/source of the header would need to be considered or researched from an "emissions" viewpoint.

Having said that, I'd bet that (at the ultimate legal level) an aftermarket part supplier (for components affecting "emissions") must go thru some sort of approval process with a CA regulatory agency -- just my guess.

If the aftermarket component has some functional differences -- this would be a concern to be looked into (even though IME, like others, the technician at the testing station doesn't have a clue).

What is your project? Do you have some new source other the usual suspects (Tubi, QVL)?

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are correct, the header is considered by Ca law to be an emission part and as such any non OE needs to go through an approval/testing process to be allowed to be sold for installation on any over the road vehicle. But as you and I have both commented on, I can't believe anybody will notice. Plus the fact that particular issue is pretty far off the radar screen.

7. kennyjr748

kennyjr748 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    san francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks for the replies. I just know that many of the headers available come with disclaimers for California that say things like "only for off highway use" etc. I just worry because my mechanic has been telling me that the smog process will be changing soon...(how and what I am not sure of)

Kenny

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The process just underwent several very major changes and I am not aware of anything of signifigance on the horizon. All of my comments are taking the new changes into consideration.