Hello and Testarossa Question | FerrariChat

Hello and Testarossa Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yellowtr, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi,

This is my first thread here at ferrarichat.com. Just been looking around and it seems a useful site!

I am a proud owner of a beautiful 1986 Testarossa in Giallo Fly, photo on my profile. I have had it a year now and hope to use it a lot more this year as I spent last year travelling with work around Europe. Anyway, I need to get the top of the dashboard as it looks like a wrinkled mess! A common problem with TR's. Has anyone repaired this at all or had it done? If so anything to look out for? I don't mind having a go myself, but some pointers could be useful.

Many thanks,

Pete

(I have posted this as well in the United Kingdom Folder as well, but hoping that someone else in the world may have had the same problem, hope that's okay)

2. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Welcome to the site and that's a great looking yellow TR. There have been some threads regarding this topic lately. Sorry I don't have any advice beyond that for you. The Work Shop Manual shows how to remove the dash and I think you can still order the same leather from Connely. I've heard that the material that the leather is applied to becomes brittle with age so you may want to be repared to replace that as well if you get it removed and find that it crumbles on you. Someone suggested removing the winshield but I don't think that would be the route that I would take. Good luck with the project and let us know how it works for you. Post some pictures along the way.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

3. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
  4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Yes, you WILL end up replacing that crap that they used for a base, but it's not a big deal.

Note that its the same stuff used in your door panels. - When you rip out a door handle you'll see the same problem.

Don't even consider windshield removal unless you are suffering from the weight of carrying too much cash. :)

Hirsh is where I bought my Connelly leather from. They still have some stock on hand.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hello - Welcome to the board!

Always nice to see a new user who quickly fills out their profile! :)

There is also a search function on F-Chat. You can search the current site, or if you go back to the main page, you can see a link to the old archives (old site) and search there.

Good luck, let us know if you need any help.

6. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi there,

Many thanks for the replies so far (and comments on the car!) and also the thread which had details on the removal. I will go through that carefully!

Thanks once again,

Pete

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congrats Pete, good choice, I too have an 86, red/blk. I tried to do the dash myself a few yrs back and though its not very difficult be very very careful with the wiring. The older TRs have a few gremlins with the wiring and fuses. I have never had a problem until I was in the midst of repolacing the dash and the door. It was more of a bother than anything else. No majors, just blown fuses, but a pain when your driving at night and no lights pop up...aside form that it went fine. Just be very careful with the wiring and not shorting anything out when pulling. Let us know, and enjoy the car in good health !!