330 P3/4 | FerrariChat

330 P3/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davidgoerndt, Nov 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I recently picked up the Vintage Motorsports magazine with the article on Jim's 330 P3/4. Aside from the poor proofreading, I thought the article was ok, the photos were very good. In one of the photos I noticed the car carries a spare tire perched between the exhaust headers. Did the rules of the day require the cars to carry a spare?

David Goerndt

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes. To run at Le Mans in those days a car needed basic road equip. Wipers,turn signals, spare tire, two seats, head lights, brakelights, etc.
    Basic tools were also carried, jack, KO hammer, etc. because if the cars broke down on the very long lap the driver alone had to do repairs.

The failure of the KO hammer is an important part of 0846's history which along with many other things is gone into in great detail in the 90+ page document that is available in the Rossa section of FCHAT.

Best

3. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Does the location of the tire in such close proximity with the headers present any problems? It seems there would be a lot of heat generated in that location. I'm not subscribed yet, so I don't have access to the booklet on 0846.

regards

David Goerndt

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There seems to be quite a lot of air flow but we do keep the PSI a bit low just in case. Up until 67 there was also a rule that if you wanted to change a tire you had to first take out the spare and touch it to the ground. On the P3/4 you'd have to lift the tail. on the MK-IV there was a slot on the rear deck that could be opened that accessed the spare which probably saved the Ford quite a bit of time over the course of the race. Luggage boxes were also required.
    Best

5. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt

Gotta love the French and there "interesting" rules!

6. James Lustman

James Lustman Rookie

Sep 1, 2004
    I can see the rule making some sense. If you look at the rules making the car similar to a road car with the basic equipment, this rule makes you "use" your spare tire.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do they require anything remotely similar to that now?

It does make total sense, and is part of what makes these cars so cool!