Has my dream of 308/328 ownership become irrelevant? | FerrariChat

Has my dream of 308/328 ownership become irrelevant?

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, I'm on the verge of finally getting a 308/328, the object of my desires for over 20 years. The questions that loom largest are: "Has my dream expired? Are these cars even relevant anymore?"

I've owned 3 E36 M3s, 2 300ZX TTs, and I currently own a 350Z Track model, which performs phenomally. (Please everybody, don't bash my "Jap Crap"! I'm aware of the limitations of Japanese -vs- European machinery!!)

I need to justify spending over 30K to finally realize my dream. I know the performance will let me down, but the aesthetics and aura certainly won't.

Anybody out there want to convince me either way?.......

2. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Simple.

Every true petrolhead must own a Ferrari at sometime in his life.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I finally fulfilled my 30-year dream in March and purchased a 328. I knew I couldn't afford "more" Ferrari, so I didn't dwell on that. Yes, the performance may not match other supposedly less-exotic cars, but that hasn't bothered me one bit! Everywhere I take the car people are happy to see it, and many say they like the styling better than the newer models.

Porsches and Corvettes have become somewhat "irrelevant" simply because there are so many of them out there. But Ferraris have always been made in small enough numbers that they will always be "relevant".

So don't worry, be happy! Get your 308/328 and enjoy! You'll be a member of an exclusive and exciting "club".

4. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    There is a current thread going on comparing 328 and 350Z so you can have a look at the comment there also.
    I think it depends on what you want you ceratinly have experienced the jap sports cars already and it probably give you the today innovative performance.
    However, 3x8s are TOTALLY different things: the ride, the smell, the concentration while driving, the raw Go Kart typed of feeling, the sound etccccccccccccc.
    Once you have owned one then you will realise that the jap cars WILL NOT give you the THRILL every time you get 3x8 engine running. I still also get excited every time I drive it. I have owned Porsche, XK8 and driven a few jap sports cars before but UNCOMPARABLE in terms of expereince.

5. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #5 patpong, Nov 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Adding a Ferrari to your collections is my advise. I agree that your fast and furious Jap cars give you such performance. But owning a Ferrari is another world by itself. Driving fast is never the only way to enjoy a fine automobile...

For my cars below:
    The Lotus accelerate 0-60 in the top 4 second and topping at 300 km/h...
    The Ferrari tops about 255 km/h but it's so much fun in its own way...
    But when it's sunset, nice weather nothing beats the top down MGA...

Sometime you feel like a nut, sometime you don't.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If you really like cars you will never regret having a Ferrari. What I mean by that is that if in owning cars you enjoy working on them, maintaining them and dealing with all the little issues that pop with them then you will be fine.
    "Performance" is irrelevant in my opinion. I had a 5.0L Mustang GT in my early twenties and there were only so many bunrouts, stoplight races and crap you an do until it gets old. Sure there are alot of cars that will be faster and...blah, blah, blah... they are not Ferrari's.
    Believe me, I don't live in a magical word where I think Ferrari is the best car ever built (it's far from that) but the history, the passion the commnity... there are intangibles that can't be measured with a stopwatch.
    If that's what you like and drives your passion for cars then Ferrari is for you. If you want a car that starts and runs like a toyota everytime and has performance, stick with Japanese or German cars otherwise you will be dissappointed.
    A Ferrari can be tempremental, cold, mysterious and frustrating... it's also beautiful, magical, alluring, and at times the sweetest thing on 4 wheels. It's the closest thing you can have to a mistress and still be happily married.
    Of course this is a Ferrari board and we're all a little biased.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If after owning half the cars you list you will need something with more power and modern amenneties than a 308/328 . Mybe a 355 or a a 12cylinder of anything ,.

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Spend the money if you have it and realize your dream. There's nothing like a Ferrari--I don't care what model Ferrari we're talking about.

A good Ferrari is like a piece of gold--it will hold its value. You should be able to sell it for just about as much as you paid for it later on in case you don't like it or you tire of it.

Just do your homework on what constitutes a "good" 328. Consult the very knowledgeable people on this board and/or do a search if you need information.

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Interesting concept -- expiring dreams. I would say fulfill your dream and enjoy the pleasure of a dream fulfilled.

Then move on to the next dream!

10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have a stable full of very exotic current cars and a bunch of significant older cars, but the car that defines "Ferrari" for me is still my 1977 308GTB. It just looks like a Ferrari should and it never fails to draw a crowd whenever I am out in in it.
    In my mind there is no such thing as an irrelevant Ferrari. They are all very special cars because there were never many of any particular model. The most successful recent models, 355's and 360's have collectively accounted for about as many cars as GM turns out in the average week.

11. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Drive it first. Thats the only thing that will let yourself know if that is what you really want.

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 Jdubbya, Nov 22, 2004
    Greg,
    I'd pretty much go with what people are saying but in the end it's you who has to decide. I'd also add....

How can you say no to this???

13. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    You are where I was 18 months ago...
    I fullfilled the dream and never regret.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

14. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you want one, get one. If you want a bunch of people to "talk" you into it, you probably should hold off until you're sure YOU want to get one.
    Yes, it's true that your 350 is much faster and better handling/braking, but that's not really the reason to get a 3X8. There are plenty of faster and more reliable cars out there...

15. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Well Greg, I think you have been given a lot of opinions about the subject already and in the end it is you to decide. Asking this thread in this website, you probably knew what to expect. You probably get a mirror-imaged opinions if you go into Jap-cars enthusiasts webstes.
    But I think both sides are right in their views as Jap cars have their good points and also Ferraris' but you are not comparing 'apple to apple'.
    Like you are comparing a private jet liner to F16!!!!

16. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Grow up and decide for yourself. Why do you keep asking us to justify your purchase. If 30K is too much then don't buy it. Don't ask people to make your decision for you.

17. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    It´s not unusual to buy a car also b/c of what other people think about the car. In this light it seems legitimate to ask for thoughts from others in a forum like this ... ?

18. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    You should park the MGA in between the Esprit and the 308 as their yellows clash :)

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Mr PONG, WHAT A GREAT GROUP OF CARS!!!! i can imagine the fun you must have!!!

20. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    if you're already questioning it
    you will definitely become bored with the car
    soon after you get it

start looking for something else

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for your responses, everybody--even the negative ones!
    I really don't need to be "talked into this decision", I just want to hear many different opinions on this subject. I learn by listening to others. I'm still gonna do what I gotta do!

I'm not a wealthy guy, so I'm treading carefully towards this purchase. Yes, I can afford the car and service/maintenance, but it's not going to be paid for with my "excess cash"! I don't have any of that! This will be a decision based on passion more than logic, but I guess every Ferrari ever purchased was bought that way!

22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#22 Oengus, Nov 22, 2004
    Greg,

good luck with your decision...............
    I just bought my 308 about 6 weeks ago and absolutely love it, they are truely great cars to listen to and to experiance. They are by no means speed demons (308's) but they are no slouches either.

23. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nice car, Charles!

24. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Greg

Buy careful, look after it and if you don't like it sell it..... We live on average 70 years.. so what is 1 year out of this?

Rod

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Greg,
    You said it in a nutshell right there! For once...(or in my case three times...) we must follow our passion, and get the car of our dreams! Once you find it, and drive it, all is forgotten...as a Ferrari makes all other cars almost irrelavant. It is more than the raw numbers, but the overall experience that makes these cars so enjoyable. If performance concerns you, then do try and find a 328...they are a tad faster, and a bit more refined. But they are all great cars. Just remember that there are four distinct 308 variants...early carb, late carb, 2v FI and 4v FI. Each have their pluses and minuses.