Is This An Example of a Cracked Header? | FerrariChat

Is This An Example of a Cracked Header?

Discussion in '360/430' started by JoeG54, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G
    Can anyone explain the "sound" of a cracked header? Or alternatively, perhaps I can explain what I'm hearing, and someone can tell me if it sounds like a problem they've experienced...

When driving, and with the engine at non-idle speeds (e.g. 4K rpm), when I let off the accelerator, I don't hear anything that seems out of normal. But then when I _very slightly_ apply pressure back on the accelerator (just barely moving it forward, with very little, if any, increase in engine rpm), I hear a muffled gurgling sound.

Is this the "sound" of the cracked header problem? It's interesting, because it only sounds when I put pressure back on the accelerator (after letting off it), and then only slight pressure -- as if by doing so the throttle linkage somehow "opens a valve of some type" (if that makes sense).

Thanks very much in advance for any help with this.

Joe

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
  3. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I suspect you can get close to the headers and listen for a tapping noise or exhaust leak that can determine if you have cracked headers. This maybe one way to find out if you have cracked headers. If you do have cracked headers as many have said on this board DO NOT DRIVE your car that may result in valve failure later on.

Edit: By the way, you may be response if you also post at Technical Q&A forum.