If you won 150M would you take a lump sum of 88M? | FerrariChat

If you won 150M would you take a lump sum of 88M?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 62 250 GTO, Nov 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I guess It would depend on how quickly you would get the rest. But 88M is almost 1/2 of the original amount. Unless I was a big swingin' businessman who could put the 88M to work very soon and make up for the other 42M {less tax of course}, I would wait and take it piece by piece as long as I would have it all within 10-15 years. I'm not really sure how it works but grabing as much of it as you can seems to be the losing end of winning it.

Also, {no one is to be offended} someone who makes 30k a year as a full grown adult probably doesn't have the education to manage a bank account the size of 2 banks. So wouldn't it make sense to go back to school and get some money management under your belt and let this sink in, before you start buying airplanes?

2. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    People do that because they are afraid if they don't they won't get it all....

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If they die? Or if the Lottery co. says, "that's enough for you"?

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i could die tomorrow and if i didn't take the lump sum, that money goes right back to the government, i would assume... i don't know that for sure, but the assumption is enough for me...

i have such a huge hard on for the government by way of the lottery... Back in Al Capone's day, they "ran numbers" and it was illegal and people were shot and killed over it and arrested and yadda yadda yadda... Now that the government has control of it and can tax the living, breathing, Jesus Christ piss out of it, it's all of a sudden legal... That really grabs me by the short and curlies...[/rant]

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Lump sum please.

Powerball annuity option is a 29 year payout(30 payments). Apply 29 years worth of compound interest to the lump sum amount and compare.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, great point...!

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would take it all. U never know what can happen..

8. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    If you figure you get $88M in one lump sum, deposit half into an interest bearing acct of let's say 4%. Your return for that 4% of $44M would be $1.76M. Now, don't forget you still have the other $44M to play with. Or you could deposit $60M and earn $2.4M. Multiply that by 20 (for the 20 years of payout), and that is an additional $48M for a total of $108M. Not to mention if you withdraw that amount of money every year to spend it. Keeping that money in there, your gains and initial deposit would be over the $120M mark.

then there is taxes, etc.

With that amount of money, you really have to try hard to lose it.

9. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    The lump sum is the amount of money that the lottery organization actually has.

If you take that sum, then, well, that's what you get.

If you take the installments (over 20-30 years, typically), then they take that lump sum amount and place it in extremely safe investments (bonds). Then they take the lump sum, add in the interest that it will accumulate over the time period, and sell that off as what the jackpot is "worth."

But, since the lottery's investments are designed for safety, not growth, the interest rates are much lower than what you could do on your own. If you take the lump sum and invest it yourself, you're going to end up with more money in the long run than if you let the lottery invest it for you.

10. gentry

gentry Guest

I would take the lump sum as I would rather work with the money than live off of it (which is all the annuity is good for really).

I dont know how much taxes would remove from that 88mm figure, but it would leave me with enough money to do some pretty interesting things and take even more action in things Im already involved in.

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would take a lump sum on any lottery winnings.

12. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    {Insert Plane Joke Here}
    :D

13. gentry

gentry Guest

lets not, lol. that is SOO last week.

14. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    to do some pretty interesting things and take even more action in things Im already involved in."

YEA GENTRY, LIKE SELLING COMMERICAL REAL ESTATE, BUSINESS"S, AND YOUR FORTE, AIRPLANES....................

YOUR FRIEND, BRUCE

15. mprogge23

mprogge23 Karting

Aug 29, 2004
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Full Name:
    Matt R.
    First rule of finance is always take a lump sum distribution its called time value of money, 1 million dollars is worth less next year than it is today. Plus right now taxes are extremely low compared to past history and aren't likely to be any lower in the future, so pay 35% now and have $57mm after tax. Buy $10mm in insured muni bonds paying around 4.5% and have $450,000 tax free income and still have $47mm to buy what ever you want. Like someone said earlier you really have to work to spend that kinda money.

16. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Its a hard job but somebodys gotta do it,

and why the hell was he buying lottery tickets if he had recently declared bankruptcy?

17. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    #17 Enzo, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Call me a conservative idiot, but I'd probably take the time pay out. I'd also claim the prize through a trust, so if something happened to me, my kids would continue to get the money. I can't imagine trying to deal with a lump sum $56MM payout after taxes. That's the kind of money that ruin you in other ways. On the other hand, $3.5MM a year for the next 30 years, I can handle.

19. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JIM...YOU ALSO FORGOT A % FOR YOUR FERRARI MAINTENANCE BILLS....

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, while this option does not pencil out as well, if you're a f-up(which most of these people are) you could blow your brains out spending it and then do it all over again, year after year. Not unless you started borrowing against future winnings........

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    no tail number, I'm not buying.

(love that animated gif!)

22. glennm19

glennm19 Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Glenn
    I would take the lump sum for all the reasons already listed...besides, if you are not happy with 88 million and need more, you got other problems.

23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Carbon - Capone didn't pay taxes. That was his major screw up. De govt likes it's money. BTW, never cheat on reporting your income but, be creative with your deductions, someone once told me.

Anyway, first I would need to play lotto. If I did win, I would take the payout.

24. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I'd say if you are married, take the lump sum, hat way you screw her out of a few mil during divorce proceedings and you can spend it all fast anyway. If you are like me, and just ain't gonna die anytime soon, and never get sick, payout, it will be like an allowance ;)

25. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you take the annual installments you cannot pass it down to your "heir". Lump sum you can.

I'm not waiting 4 years for my McLaren and F50. I'll take the lump sum :D