Windshield delamination | FerrariChat

Windshield delamination

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    A friend has been looking at 400/400is for a while now. It seems that many cars are suffering from delamination in the windshield/rear window, where there's opaque areas. What causes this, and is there a way to correct it short of replacing the windshield?

Thanks

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Tillman,

This happened to my BMW 2002 windshield years ago. The fogging and opacities began at the edges of the windscreen in a few areas and the affected areas got larger with time. I thought it was due to leaky rubber seals in those areas. The mechanic at BMW told me it was due to delamination of the safety glass and the windshield could not be repaired. They offered to replace the windshield under warranty.

This was all rendered moot in that before the scheduled windshield replacement, a truck which I was following on the highway threw up a rock which cracked the windshield. BMW still replaced the windshield under the warranty.

Barry

3. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I have had delamination problems on my '87 tr & 92 512tr. It must be something special you get with your Ferrari.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Most laminated glass products carry a five year warranty against de-lamination.
    I do not know how this applies to auto glass, but I would assume you could look at the stamp in the glass and call the manufacturer to see what they will or will not warranty. I kinda have an idea what the answer will be!

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Sadly this a common problem with the 365GT4 2+2, 400 & 412 range, it's water getting under the trims and then getting in between the layers of glass. It usually always appears at the top where the two trims overlap - not enough sealer has been applied at the joint and the rest is history.

The only solution is to replace the glass, but more importantly if you leave it too long the metal area above the glass will start to rust.

MW

6. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Would this generally be covered under warranty?

For instance would a dealer replace it if cropped up on the 100 check

Mark

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Mark,

The cars I mentioned have long been out of warranty, so there would be no claim against Ferrari, however if the car was purchased secondhand from a dealer, then it would be down to the dealer's discretion.

MW

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have a similar problem on my 80 308--looks like air is getting between the layers down in lower drivers corner

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for the info. I guess the answer really is 'stay away from those cars', 'knock the seller way down' or 'live with it'

10. Tomgor

Tomgor Karting

Nov 24, 2004
    Staffordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom Craig
    Had this very badly with my four year old Mercedes S class and the dealer said it was a common occurrence and not covered under warranty, so it seems it affects a lot of car types. It spoilt an otherwise perfect looking car and being at the rear was expensive to replace.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    almost every TR i see has this issue..but mostly at the base of the windesheild in the center.

12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Actually, I just replaced the windshield in my Mondial and the new one came from Ferrari already delaminated. Gotta love 'em :)

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Yeah, I've been really fortunate in that my glass has never given me any problem.

I've seen the replacement done, and it's nothing you would do yourself.
    Very expensive.

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

This is the case with my 365. Debating swapping it out next year and respraying the car at the same time. Probably will do it as I really like that car...