Scarlet Passion vs. Ferrari Prototype Era '62-73 | FerrariChat

Scarlet Passion vs. Ferrari Prototype Era '62-73

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by ferrariartist, Nov 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    anyone able to compare "Ferrari Prototype Era '62-73" with Pritchard's "Scarlet Passion" (print quality, accuracy, photos)? They cover the same topic and both look pretty good...

I've seen the first and was VERY impressed... Scarlet Passion i've only glimpsed at and i've have never seen the two side by side...

I have a gut feeling "Ferrari Prototype" is the winner.. the publisher is the same as that other marvellous book "Inside Formula Ferrari" by David Bull Publishing. Ferrari of Toronto has had one in their display case for some time...

thanx in advance...
    GT

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    See previous thread on this subject: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20481

3. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Thanks... i found that... it didnt really answer my question though... i was wondering if anyone could COMPARE the two and maybe recommend one over the other for whatever reason(s)... that wasnt really covered there...

thank you for your responce tho... 'ppreciate it...

GT

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    "Scarlet"?
    I couldn't recommend a book by someone who calls Ferraris "scarlet"...
    so, go with the other book! ;)

5. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I do own them both, but I must say I haven't read them completely, yet.
    For looks and the quality of the photos I prefer Prototype Era over Scarlet passion. Scarlet passion contains far more text but also features some errors.

There is another discussen on F-chat about the Scarlet passion book, and some comments on it. Perhaps that is of any help.

6. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    I have both books. I also have a very extensive library of Ferrari books. Scarlet Passion is an excellent book and both are comparable in quality of photos. Anthony Pritchard has done several Ferrari books and they are all good. I am very happy that he didn't just rehash lots of old photo's. Many are new while some are reprints. Same thing with Alan Henry's Prototype book (The David Bull book). Many new pictures I've never seen. And I have about 60 hardcover Ferrari books, not too many important titles I don't have. I require them for reference for the model cars I build. Both are on the same level.

I can't comment on how accurate the text is. Someone mentioned its not accurate? Can you get specific? I really didn't care about that as I'm familiar enough with Ferrari history that I'm sure nothing new has been uncovered from the 60's and 70's that hasn't already been covered in dozens of other books.

You can't go wrong with either book.

Ed

7. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Thx for the info everyone... i think i'm leaning towards the Alan Henry one... David Bull Publishing outdid itself with the Ferrari F1 book the did previously so they are top notch in my book...

id love them both, but i dont have an unlimited budget for these things anymore... gotta be somewhat choosy...

thx again...
    GT

8. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    David Bull Publishing outdid itself with the Ferrari F1 book the did previously so they are top notch in my book...

What is the title of this Ferrari F1 book? When it´s from the same publisher it might be something for me to look after.

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    This is it; I dont't know why amazon refers to 'SAE' (Society of Automotive Engineers) as the publisher,. It's actually the David Bull Publishing book. I have it here on my desk.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0768013410/qid=1101672966/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-5152431-7880160?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Best Regards

Martin

10. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Ah, that one! Yes, it's awesome, saw it not too long ago. Although the book is a little technical for me, it is still on my wishlist! Thanks for the links.

11. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Actually the full title is "Ferrari Prototype Era '62-73 in Photographs" and that is exactly what it offers: a great overview of all prototype cars in (mainly color) pictures.

Hoever if you are interested in technical details of these cars like me, just forget this book while it is not there.