Which would you Buy? | FerrariChat

Which would you Buy?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Free, Nov 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Free

Free Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Scurry, Texas
    Full Name:
    Duane Baker
    If you had a choice between two different 360 Spyders both identical in all respects except that one was a 2001 with less than 1000 miles and the other was a 2003 with 5k miles and $ 10,000 more, which would be the better deal?

Consider that each vehicle is absolutely perfect in all respects from the interior to the exterior.

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Simple. Buy the 2001, send me $5,000 for the advice, keep the other $5K.

thx
    luke

PS. Obviously, newer is better. If you can swing 200+, 10K should not break the bank. It also looks like the 03 was used. Who knows how long the 2001 sat and how many things atrophied (sp?)...

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I seem to remember hearing that the earlier ones have a seriously weak transmission.

4. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    First of all, do a PPI. The new Ferraris are so loaded with modern electronics, and that means only the dealerships can maintain them. Which means $$$ if there is a problem. And if all things are equal, as in the condition of the interior and exterior, I would take the 2003. A Ferrari is not a flower pot, it needs to be driven for it to function properly just like any other mechine. The 2001 would only have, on an averaged of about 300 miles a year, which is not exactly healthy for the car.

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    With only a 10k spread, no doubt the 03.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There were no changes in the trans, only the software in F1's.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually depending on what part of the country you are in that is not true, There are a number of us out here that are equipped and very knowledgeable about those cars. Several of us factory trained with a lot of time on them.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  9. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Buy the 03

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The '03 is still going to have warranty. That's a big help between now and when it runs out ;) Although if it was me I'd want one with 2 - 3K miles on it and would keep looking. It seems like with 5K miles your already at the half way point for what may end up being considered excess miles, IMO. I know it sounds dumb but, when there are a ton of these things out there with lower miles, which one do you think people will buy?

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I'm not knocking your post or your opinion... but, when a car has a couple thousand more miles and could be considered "excess miles," the thing that came to mind was how SAD is THAT? :(

That warranty can easily pay for itself, no question, especially for an F-car where things aren't exactly Hyundai cheap when you start parts swapping! :D

Is this a drive and flip or a drive and keep for a while? 2-3k miles most people put on in the first 6 months of ownership, many times less time than that!

12. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Ditto...these cars were built for the road not the garage

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    It is my understanding that starting with the 355s, in order to code/tune/diagnosis a car's electronics, ie. fuel injection system, braking system, or F1 gearbox system correctly, a unique computer/software is needed. And it is also explained to me that the dealers are the only ones that Ferrari SpA will sell such units to. I was also told that at one point, there was such unit that was offered on ebay, but the asking price is simply outrageous and at the same time, it is not a unit that can be use continueously as the software will need to be updated whenever a new car comes out. For example, if the unit is made during the production years of 355s, it is useless and will not work for a 575 or the currently brand new 612.

I guess if one is brave enough to hack into the system with a Dell, and armed with enough computer savy, it is possible to make such an attempt. The question is, which owner is courageous enough to take such risk and if the independents are truely willing to stand by their work or not, even if it means they will have to pay for the car to be fixed correctly by an authorized dealer.

14. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    My advice to you; start drinking heavily.

Seriously, go with the 2003. I bought a 2000 with only a few months left on the warranty, and after I had to get the belt service, some gaskets replaced and other stuff that occured after the warranty had expired, it surpassed $10k, so if that is your difference, buy the '03, drive the piss out of it before the warranty expires, and have fun.

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    ROFL :)

FOOD FIGHT!

16. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    A lot of good advice already on this board. My 2 cents worth: get the one with the color, interior and options that you like the most.
    If you were picking a wife, I'd say get the one with the fewer miles. Since this is only a car, go for looks and forget about the miles.... ;-)
    Roger.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It started long before the 355's, it's just that the equipment was in most cases trash and we found ways to do without. For the newer cars as a result of something like our own fair trade laws the EU forced Ferrari to sell the diagnostic equipment there and a number of enterprising individuals around the country have been importing them. Yes they are very expensive but everyone I know that is serious about the Ferrari business already has one. On the updates for the software, Ferrari always tried to regulate the hardware, software has always been easy to get, and the updates themselves are almost exclusively to correct disasterous errors in the software. One such set of software burned up every ABS ECU it was connected to on the 360's. I let the dealers screw up all the cars in the learning process then wait for the fixed version to come out.

When you refer to an independant hacking into a late model car, there are several of us around the country that have been working on these a great deal longer than most of the kids that are working at the dealers with many, many more years not only of experience but also more years of factory training. We have also been using the electronic Ferrari diagnostic equipment since some of them were still having their shoes tied for them. Also I can tell you from personel experience that factory support to the dealers, even the factory owned dealer is a very bad joke.

Your comment about an independant standing by his work I find very disturbing. Do you feel that there can not be reputable businesses that are not affiliated with a factory of some nature? Some of the best most highly respected Ferrari repair facilities in the country are independants. Boston Sportscar Co. is owned and run by Ken McKay who used to be the National Service Training Instructor for Ferrari of North America as well as the top man for Servicio Asistenza Technica in the US, the aftersale service division of Ferrari North America. I can assure you that Ken, besides having trained most of the quality, senior Ferrari mechanics in North America has forgotten more about Ferrari's than most of those under experienced kids in the dealerships will ever know. Also Ken and I share a level of commitment to our customers that our combined experience has shown Ferrari has never had. And yes Ken and I and people like Dave Helms on this board, as well as several others were the ones in those authorized dealers where the buck stopped and things got fixed.

18. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Not at all. I think the independants are great, I am proud to say that I have been friends with a shop here locally and he takes great care of all of us here in the NW. He is the best there is, especially on the older, classic cars. He is old school, and no none sense kind of person. And most of all, he is honest and he lets us know exactly what is going on with our cars. But just like he said, in order for an independant shops to do a job properly, the right tools and equipments are vital. And with the new models being loaded with electronics, it is becoming more difficult and nearly impossible to tune a Ferrari accordingly.

I do not know you or your friends personally, and you may be very well equipped and have all the know how's to the modern Ferraris, which is great and kudos to all of you. However, just like you stated in your own posts, it is not exactly easy or cheap for one to get their hands on those diagnostic instruments/equipments. Hence, being here on the public forum, for an average consumer, it is something any of them should be aware of and think about before they write out that $200,000 check. If I were in his place, I would want to know about informations such as this.

Since I have been on this forum and being in the local Ferrari Club, I have heard too many horrible stories from new owners. We have all read more than one post about someone who lives a bit of a distance from any authorized dealers. I would imagine that the factory would give the support needed to fix the car when it comes into their own dealership. Ferrari Of Seattle has a great factory support from FNA, and if that means calling you for help, then great. However, I would not be so sure if FNA will still be so kind as in sending out a technician to an independant shop located in Danville, IL. If anything at all, we here on the forum should help and make sure that the new comers knows and understands what they are getting into when buying a Ferrari, so they can make an educated decision themselve. Wouldn't you say so?

Keep in mind, the person that started this thread did not mention his location. He just may be 100 miles away from any place that can provide the support and the proper services.

19. speedracer5

speedracer5 Karting

Oct 15, 2004
    Northeast, USA
    How many owners did each car have? I would choose the car with the least owners and after each car has had a ppi. If in the end both cars turn out to be the same except for the years then I would always go with the newer car. The 2003.

Best of Luck

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Neither. If you want a newer model Ferrari, get a 550 or 575. Once you drive a 12, an 8 will never be enough.

21. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    I would say since the 03 is still under warranty that should be worth at LEAST $3k, so you are really only paying $7k difference for a 2 year newer car. So I think the 03 is your best bet.

Now as far as the miles issue, common wisdom seems to be 2-3k mi. a year avoids a "GQ" status, the 03 falls right in the middle at 2.5k mi. a year.

22. Free

Free Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Scurry, Texas
    Full Name:
    Duane Baker
    Well I have a Testarossa already so if I need to get my 12 pack fix I can always drive it! :)

Thanks for all the input guys!

I took your advice and went with the 03.

I am sure I will be happy that I did.