Do you work on your own Ferrari / Exotic? | FerrariChat

Do you work on your own Ferrari / Exotic?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by -FROG-, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Why, or Why not work on your own Ferrari? Just curious if any of you do work on your own cars? I know it's more common on older models like the 308, but was wondering about your thoughts and situations. I'm very concerned about others working on any of my cars and LOVE to take the initiative to learn and fix problems that occur.
    I'm assuming ALOT of it is warranty and design of parts/tools. I know most of you that own a Ferrari, do have the extra money to pay someone qualified and experienced to do the work. Time, is also an issue, since working on your own car does involve wrenching in the garage and getting your hands dirty. Chime in and share.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Frog,

On the 308 here, small/easy items are simple to solve like installing new emblems, lights, aligning the doors, fluid changes, small electrical, etc. i enjoy "fixing". Big items such as suspension, cam belt, etc i leave it the professionals. The trick is in obviously knowing your own skill, forte, and limitations. This is no time to allow ego, or a lowish budget, to possibly lower the safty and reliability of one's vehicle. After all, a car is a LETHAL WEPON so treat it accordingly.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I have owned my car since last April and I have enjoyed doing some routine maintenance on my own. I am not a mechanically inclined person by nature but I've always gotten very clear, easy to follow service directions from everyone in the Tech Forum. It doesn't hurt that my car is a relatively easy Ferrari to work on. If you have the time and the patience, I recommend learning how to do basic work on your car. You can save a few bucks and get that sense of accomplishment that comes with doing it yourself.

4. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    A buddy of mine at work is doing a head replacement on his 308. He doesn't seem worried about it, he just doesn't have the time to work on it like he wants. He was telling me about how he built a wooden platform over the car, so he could access the engine bay while laying on the platform. Pretty good idea, I guess, considering it keeps from leaning on the car to wrench causing scratches in the paint.

5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I do all my own work. Degree in Automotive Technology, but now make my living without my tools.

6. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I did an engine out service on my 86 mondial and it was not as hard as my major on my 911 ,if the motor needs to come out in my 355 I will do that too.but some of the code problems will need to go to people with computers that can read the codes.I love working on my Ferrari almost as much as driving it
    DAVID

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just do Oil and Brakes on the 328 and 355 C.

I'm really thinking about putting the 328 up for a couple years to restore it and rebuild the engine. For no other reason but to learn and have fun.

8. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I do all my own work on my 308. I'll admit that I'll still struggling with Webers, though. I'll get it- one day!

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I do all the basic stuff. I actually enjoy the time to take something 'impossible' apart and put it back together. Its amazing the things you can do on your own if you study a part / assembly long enough, like brakes, dash panel and door assemblies. Never feel like a geek when you bring a disassembled part or assembly to your mechanic because you can't figure it out. They were there once!

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd rather not touch a thing(mechanically) for fear of f'n it up. Let the pros handle it, that's my plan.

11. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Rob, just curious but what needs to be restored on your 328? The pic I saw of it looks great. Same question about the engine. Isn't it still very young to need a rebuild?

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm starting this week. Under the strict instructions of my mechanic. Starting with a simple brake pad change all around. Next project is to do the 5k service.

Just gotta make sure you have the right tools and a good person to fall-back on (or better yet, give you good instruction in the first place). I'm still not even going to try a major / belt service, plus anything electronic needs a dealer / professional (I don't have an SD2).

--Dan

13. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Has anyone here replaced the clutch on the 355 ???

If you have such experience, can you please share your experience with me ?

I need to know the parts, time, costs, labour involved in replacing the clutch on my 355. your advice will be highly appreciated.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Body wise I think to make it perfect I would just need...

1) New hood, already have one purchased, just need it painted.
    2) Restored rear spoiler grill.
    3) Restored front skid trays.
    4) Restored side skirts.
    5) Paint isn't perfect, but nice for now.

Engine wise it's a really strong car. We had three 328's on the dyno a couple years ago and mine had the most HP and torque by just a little.

I had a leak down last year and it was far from perfect, even though the power is good.

(1- 3%,2-5%,3-8%,4-20% through intake,5-2%,6-10% through intake,7-7%,8-4%)

So that one 20% cylinder isn't good at all, but overall the car is far from needing a rebuild. I might get it tested now to see how it's changed or if first test was inaccurate.

However, I also want to rebuild a Ferrari engine on my own and if it's not the 328, then I'll be buying another Ferrari. One of my goals is never to sell a Ferrari and since I want to have the 328 forever, I think in a couple years this car would be the best to be my first Ferrari engine rebuild.

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Interesting goal! And a worthy one. :)

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Some times I think I've done way more work on the 308 than I should have :)

17. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    If I couldn't do the work on my Ferraris myself, I wouldn't own one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I work on my Ferrari, a 1975 308 GT4. For a few reasons:

1- I'm a gearhead. I like working with my hands (I do it for a living) and I love mechanical things. The more complex something is, the more I'm intrigued by it and I want to know how it works and how its put together.

2- Working on the car by myself is so relaxing. Nothing else is on my mind, just the work in front of me. I take my time since its just the "toy" car and doesn't need to be ready immediately. More chance of screwing something up when rushed anyways.

3- Can't afford the price of the dealer/speciality shops! Only for the most involved processes will I have someone else do it (like when I had the flywheel ground down for a new clutch).

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I do everything on all my cars, the Ferrari, the Porsche 911, the BMW M3, and the wife's Lexus, except for body work and painting. This is because there have been too many mechanics screw ups stories, and I really enjoy wrenching on my own cars. And, if I screw up (which used to happen occasionally but much less now) I know who did it.

20. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    GREAT! This is the kind of responses I was hoping to hear! I knew you guys were REAL Ferrari owners because you take the time to be a part of this message board, spending time with others who share in your passion. I'll admit.... if I did have the money for a Ferrari or other expensive exotic, I'd probably take the pleasure of having someone else work on it from time to time while I spend time doing other things I enjoy. BUT, most of the time, I'd be piddling with it in some way or another for my own knowledge, enjoyment and BIG curiosity! It seems I am working on a car every weekend and sometimes week days, so paying a specailist from time to time would be nice if I were in your shoes.

21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I let certain customers work on their own car while it's with me. I'll show them the right and wrongs, the do's and don'ts and also the little tricks you pick up.

There's nothing to stop anyone doing their own work, the biggest skill is in knowing your own limitations and sticking to them.

Often, I'm grateful for a dedicated gasket scraper. Apprentices lose interest after about 3 seconds flat, but owners get every last little bit off!

Just today I got the oil tank out of a F/Glass 308 to give to the owner for him to paintstrip and prep, then give it back to me for paint. It works well for everyone.

I also give out semi skilled jobs to owners, subject to their attention span of course!

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    FFixer: I bow to you! When I lived in Los Gatos,CA, there was a mechanic named Steve that had a small shop. He was a very good Ferrari mechanic. I brought my car in for a 30K and under his supervision, he let me do most all of the work on my 308 QV. I paid him the same price (and tipped him a nice case of wine). Initially, I told him that I really wanted to learn the valve adjustment job. He was great and very patient. I was not out to save money, I just wanted to get more imerced in my car ownership.

Mechanics like yourself are wonderful finds!

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was out of work for 6 months a couple of years back. I spent most of it at the Machine shop down the street. Learned a ton from the grumpy old man. Even how to cut and install my own valves. How to run a lathe, and a mill. Nice guy.

24. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Since I first got my 348 I had wanted to work on it myself. After spending in the neighborhood of 10 grand having someone else fix it, I decided to start working on it myself. Especially since the next big job was the engine out major. You get a special satisfaction from owning a Ferrari. But, there is something even more satisfying about working on, and fixxing your Ferrari. I have litteraly saved thousands of dollars. Having done my own engine out major service, there is nothing about this car I won't tackle now. Well maybe when it needs painting I'll leave that to someone with the know how, maybe. Anyway, the cars aren't hard to work on, you just have to take your time. So get some tools and start wrenching on your car.

25. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    My Ferrari experience has been limited to working on a 512BBi.
    However, I am a tried-and-true car guy. I know a Vipers' V10 like the back of my hand from working on mine so much. I did the work on my Lotus as well, and all my old muscle cars were restored by me.

I enjoy it, it is a challenge to me to fix. If it's a "toy", it doesn't need to be fixed today in order to get to your job, etc.

This is one of the problems I am facing with buying a new(er) car. There isn't much I could touch (or want to for that matter) on say a 360 or a 550. The older cars like the 308 and 348, I could do what ever I wanted to and make them unique to my liking w/o killing my resale completely or put tons of cash into an already 100K+ car. Only time will tell.

A good shop, and good tools is the only way to fly.

James