Free Credit Reports | FerrariChat

Free Credit Reports

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Dec 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think most of us know by now that starting today, and over the next year, there is a new law that makes it mandatory for each credit reporting company to make a copy available to everyone for free. I understand it starts in the western states today, will be metered out across the USA over the next year.

So, I see a commercial on TV from "freecreditreport.com" saying "why wait, you can all get your free reports now from us!"

How deceitful. This site will give a single "free" report as long as you sign up for an $80/ year service to "monitor" your credit report. What a rip. What misleading advertising. What a bunch of scumbags.

I guess these douschbag see their business going down the tubes (with this new law) in the next year and want to squeeze as much cash out of easy-to-fool people as possible.

Free enterprise and capitalism is good, but it sure can breed some really disreputable behavior.

Yes, I feel better.

BTW: Not Business, Not politics, just general banter i.e. "other off topic"

2. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    For security purposes, www.AnnualCreditReport.com can be accessed by typing the web address "www.annualcreditreport.com", or from links from the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov), Equifax (www.equifax.com), Experian (www.experian.com) and TransUnion (www.transunion.com) websites.

AnnualCreditReport.com is the only web source authorized by all three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies from which free annual credit file disclosures can be requested.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Thanks for the update. I ever liked how those commercials presented themselves to the public.

4. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Bush just signed into law 1 free credit report per year for Americans..It starts out right away out West and will soon be in the south and midwest...It was a bill passed to help people watch themselves for identity theft and lazy reporters who are hurting borrowers by not updating their report...The Gov.t has fined some of these companies more than once for not attending to their "discrepency" toll free number.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I used this company last year. I thought they were very helpful. They gave me a free report, and they took my credit card for the membership. However, they gave me 30 days to cancel with no penalties. So being a cheapskate like you, I got the free credit report, and cancelled the membership right away. In essence a free credit report with no hassles. :)

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm surprised. Usually when you sign something like that, its REALLY hard to figure out the cancel mechanism, and the mysteriously, the charges keep showing on your credit card, at least thats been my experience. I too, have used them (twice), paying the one-time fee so as not to get trapped into the described financial jail.

"Free offers" never seem to be free in my experience.

Another example is trying to get rid of internet providers you don't want. One was so bad that I finally cancelled the credit card so they would quit charging to it!

7. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes it is hard to figure it out if you don't read the fine print. BUt if you are such a cheapskate like me, you would rather spend hours so they don't charge a dime, then give them the satisfaction of getting your money. ;)

Most of the times they are not. I mean for one person like me that cancelled on time, I bet there are 1000s of people who are paying this company. SO they made their money. All is good. But if you are a wary shopper chances are you won't get screwed. Its people who don't pay attention or are too busy that get charged. Inthat sense, I think its fine, because those people either make so much money that it doesn't matter, or are not intelligent enough to figure it out. Then I think they get what they deserve, and the owners of FreeCreditReport make money. Hey, they have to pay their mortgage too ya know :D

OOOH yeah. I remember when I first bought a place, that I had AOL. THis was about 4 years ago. They charged me for 18 months, and I had forgotten to check (using my aforementioned points, the company was right, and becuase I was careless should have to pay). However, when I found out, I called them, and told them to take the charges off. THey didn't do it. THis went on for 127 days. I wrote letters and even sent one to the President. Nothing happened. However, I wasn't going to succumb to cancelling my card because of them. I wrote another letter threatening legal action (though I didn't think I had any grounds since it was my fault for not reading the fine print). However, after they got the letter, not only did they refund my money for 18 months, they extended free 6 month service, which I used, and then they cancelled me after the usage, because I didn't renew.

Persistence pays off. :)

You have to rage against the dying of the light, even if the light is evil AOL. :D

9. jbtrader23

jbtrader23 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    For fun, I checked out my report today at transunion.

It looked like they weren't thrilled with the idea. They offer a free credit report, but to get your credit score (i.e. FICO score), you have to pay $5.95. Yet I can get that for free elsewhere!

This business of trying to sell information that's free elsewhere looks pretty tenuous.

We're all better off not using credit cards and not even having to worry about our credit report :)

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    NO....No....no....no....no......NO!!!

I'm not interested in a report. I am interested in the software to tweak it just like tweaking a Windows registry or the code in a html or Java editor. That would be of most value. :)

remember...

Computer information, though very powerful, is not always truth

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Just because it's free, don't check your credit more than a couple of times per year. In Canada if your credit gets checked a lot, it goes in the toilet.

12. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    In today's age of ID theft I use a service called Trucredit offered by Transunion for $10 a quarter which also gives you 4 free reports a year. They will you send you an Email anytime any type of credit or other accounts are opened in your name and anything at all added to your history. $40 a year is small expense compared to the headache that ID theft would be