Is there going to be a 430CS anytime soon? | FerrariChat

Is there going to be a 430CS anytime soon?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 3omar, Dec 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    I did a search but turned up nothing useful.

Has Ferrari announced anything regarding a Challenge Stradale version of the F430?

If no firm announcement has been made yet, and assuming that the car will actually be built, when can we expect (judging from the length of time between the introduction of the 360 and the 360CS) a 430CS “list” to be available at dealerships.

Also, when is it likely that first deliveries are going to be made?

Omar.

2. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I recall reading somewhere that a Ferrari spokesman said a CS version is not in the plans "at this time."
    However, if we use the success of the current CS as one indicator, and the inevitable responses from Lambo, Porsche et al, to the 430, as another indicator, I would confidently bet there will be a 430 CS, but not for four or five years.

Forza,

Cavallini

3. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    i highly doubt there will be a Stradale version of the F430. Ferrari, lately has done a limited edition version of certain models to commemorate the ending of a model run. for example, the 348 had the "Serie Speciale"...100 were made. the 355 had a spider version called the "Fiorano"...100 were made. finally, with the 360, there was a limited run of the "Challenge Stradale". I'm sure Ferrari will do something when the F430 is being phased out and of course it will be something special. whether it be a coupe or spider, is anyone's guess.

-MK Ultra

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Won't happen until the last year or two of production, if previous history is an indicator. And why anyway? The car will out perform a 360CS, and they will have a two year backlog of the F430 as well...the purpose of the "special limited editions" is to keep the current car selling, and not slow down orders/sales, in anticipation of the newer model.

Look at what they are doing with the Maserati Spyder "90th Anniversary" and "GrandSport"...these cars are breathing new life into a car that is now getting a bit "long in the tooth"...and a new replacement on the horizon. Sales may take a dive, if they didn't offer up something new and interesting.

5. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    all the numbers i've seen would suggest they perform very similar from a performance standpoint. from a race car experience standpoint, the F430 won't even be in the same neighborhood as the CS. most who buy the CS are looking for something the F430 cannot deliver.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Understood, the CS offers a different aural feel and drive...but there is no reason to offer such a package now, if the F430 is completely backlogged with sales, and performs very well. This is pure marketing, nothing more. A harder edged performance package WILL be offered, but not for at least two or three years out.

My thought is with the popularity of these "specials"...that it may come sooner, like two years out...and then offer an even "improved" variant, during the last year of production (in otherwords offer a "CS", then a "CSII" or whatever they will call it then). Why not? Do what it takes to keep the interest and momentem going.... ;)

7. Shuey2k

Shuey2k Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Willi Schumacher
    The F430 is SLOWER by one second around Fiorano vs the CS. Yes, I realize it is a very short track but it is still a good indicator of performance.

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    a stradale is .75 seconds quicker around fiorano than the relatively hefty F430 :)

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Mostly due to the Corsa System R compound tires, which on most tracks are worth about 3 sec per lap.

Gary

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The CS and similar models are nothing more than cyncal marketing strategies to inject interest in soon to be superseded models. Ferrari is far from the worst in this regard, look to Porsche for the masters of this sort of game.
    I don't understand why the manufacturers can't/won't build the cars their customers want, when they want them. It is about time these execs woke up to themselves, particularly as choices in the premium sports hots up. If I want a 430 for the street and regular track day use, why do I have to wait until the end of the model cycle to buy it? If Lamborghini brings out a lightweight Gallardo next year, I'll flip on my F430 order and take the Lambo instead.
    I all to often hear on this board that Ferrari can sell every car they make, have waiting lists etc, so don't really care if customers like me, who aren't Ferrari loyalists buy elsewhere. blah blah
    If Ferrari started receiving regular feedback from its delaer network that it's customer were going to look elsewhere to buy the cars they actually wanted, then things would change.
    Unfortunately there are not enough customers like me and too many that want the standard car, such that supply is not going to meet demand anyway.
    Sorry for the rant.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Stephens,
    It's a justified rant....but in Ferrari's defense, they need to be careful and calculating in product launches...if they give up all their latest developments and technology they have now, it may take them too long to bring the next new development to market; possibly causing a lag or drop in sales. They are such a boutique manufacturer, that it is difficult for them to have something new or improved every year.

They really don't need feedback from their dealer network...they only have to look at their backlog of orders to know if they are doing what needs to be done.

I agree that the ideal thing would be to offer the "harder edged" version of the F430 upfront...but then what is there to look forward to?

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    stephens,

I believe that amadeo felisa had a little article in one of the magazines that at least to me, indicated that they will make cars more available, as they didnt want to "give customers away" to mercedes mclaren, lamborghini etc. in the past they had the exotic less than 200K market all to themselves...save the 911 turbo...but now its very different!

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The F430 pulls a lot of "highlights" from the CS anyway i.e. ceramic breaks, quicker shifting, increased performance, wheels, yellow tach ;) etc. so other than being more raw and lighter I don't think a 430 CS will be quite the leap that the current CS is over the 360. It seems like with the F430 Ferrari said let's throw the best of everything in this one...............:)

14. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    As stated by someone Ferrari only does special models towards the end of the production of a particular model. The 348 Speciale, F355 Fiorano and 360 Stradale. In the F355 and 360 it was close to five years after the car was released.

Can't we just enjoy the present? Why are you worring about a car that is not going to be available for five years now? I want to enjoy the journey ahead that is the F430. First the coupe will be released and then the spider and then a special version. And the special version could be a spider or it could be a Stradale. Enjoy the development that Ferrari is going to take us through.

Ferrari are masters at marketing and keeping demand high. They are better at it than mst other manufacturer's.

Cheers,
    Simon

15. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They will have to increase production at some point but this will be for new markets such as China.

Regards,
    Chris

16. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004

Yeah, they threw the best of everything into the 360 too - before the CS. Technology and design is always evolving and they'll easily be able to improve upon the F430 with a CS in the not too distant future should they decide.

17. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

I agree completely. For all intents and purposes, a highly skilled engineer and a race-car driver are running Ferrari-- Amedeo Felisa and Jean Todt. Under Montezemolo's aegis and drive, these two men will in no way rest on their laurels. The 430 and the 612 are just the beginning.

Forza,

Cavallini

18. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    If a 430 and CS were released at the same time, who would really honestly buy the non-CS 430. Think about it, if you had a chance to buy a 500hp 3200 pound car or a 525hp 2900lb car, which would you choose? Ferrari can't afford to make a mistake of releasing a CS so soon.

19. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    The people who want the luxury oriented, leather rich F430 are not the same that want the stripped out more racy (loud and rough riding) CS IMO.

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

They could get away with releasing both cars but why would they? The CS type of a car is a classic way to give a model one last hurrah at the tail ends of the life cycle. It ads to the Ferrari image. The anticipation of a possible intro also ads to the hype. So, a simultaneous intro would blow all that imo.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Exactly my point. You are spot on.

22. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    just a matter of time buy don't expect it til the later era of the 430.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Given they are going to sell everything they produce anyway, why is this relevant? If not Chalange Stradale, why not Club Sport with stripped interior, lots of carbon fibre and stiffer suspension from the factory.

24. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    Yes, this is a good point. The 360 is going to tank (permanently) much harder than most any other Fcar made owing to its "mass" (for Ferrari) production. Why doesn't Ferrari spread it's total annual production number among more cars to make them all more special?

25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It's called marketing......... You can buy a 430 with many CS features but it won't have the "limited" production.