Weather Change & Performance Change | FerrariChat

Weather Change & Performance Change

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by PatrickShim, Nov 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Well, it is given that the car performs better in the cold weather than the warm weather (due to higher concentration of oxygen in the air), but does anyone have any statistical data of how much cars' performance changes every 10 degrees of the temperture changes?

It's been quite chilly lately, and it is so amazing how much the performance increases. I took out my modified Camaro out tonight, and it was a BLAST! (spun the car TWICE doing u-turns, and did some nice burn outs, too)

:)

2. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    But it is still better to drive in the hot weather right? I mean for a race on the track. I'm guessing you have more control and you don't peel out everywhere in the hot. I don't know, i have never driven a car for longer then 5 minutes.

3. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Warm weather's much better for tires, but in terms of engine performance, cold weather supplies more oxygen into the engine (when it's cold, there's higher concentration of oxygen in the air).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 CMY, Dec 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought I spied a camaro somewhere on your site, Patrick. Here's my '94 (and yes, there is a noticeable seat-of-the-pants performance gain the cold).

Fun, isn't it? :)

-Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. sinbon

sinbon Karting

May 16, 2004
    Petaluma, CA/SLO,CA
    Full Name:
    Bobby Boinski
    the tires are now spinning mid 2nd gear again! gotta love the look on passengers faces who are so naive about japanese cars (basically every kid in my dorms out here) boost hits and wham. fastest thing theyve been in is an accord!

6. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim

Yeah, Camaros are fun. Really cheap and easy to make modifications.

This is what I did to my '00 Z28. Most of works done at FX Performance. (lowered 1.25" with Eibach springs, SLP center-exhaust, K&N filters,....)

It's a fun toy. Spinning the car doing U-turns.... Fun... :)

And if you break something, so much cheaper to fix than F-cars.

7. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ..And if you've ever manuvered it through a crowded parking situation, it's good training for exotic car ownership. Low, wide and zero visibility.

-Chris

8. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim

But more space inside than F-cars for some "action" with a hot date... but for more "super action", I prefer my SUV or the Caddy. :)

If the car's shakin', don't come knockin'.

9. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm 6'4 and my girlfriend is 5'10".. there's no action going on in any car!

-Chris
    Well, the T-tops do come off...

10. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I would so much love to have a PorscheTT on these cold nights....natures intercooler!

11. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    GOT ANOTHER TICKET TONIGHT!!! and this is the BEST "ticket-receiving" experience EVER!

Some of the things that happened....

1. Coming out of a corner, the car spun out (there were some water on my tire, and didn't have traction-control on).
    2. The cop asked me to get out of the car.
    3. The cop called me "crazy" (is that legal?), and said that I must be a crazy driver to have racing shoes on (which I did at the time).
    4. He wrote me a ticket, but didn't mention me spining out the car (said I can go to jail for that).
    5. He said I would've had more fun with my car if he weren't there (which is true....) :)

This was way too much fun!

12. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Patrick,
    I'm not sure I understand your thread / post here... on one hand you promote a charity called foursafewheels, then your organization promotes having cars race on a closed circuit track at a resort in palm springs...

Why on earth would you blatantly show such a wanton disregard to public safety? Not only that, but gloat about it?

I'm genuinely concerned when someone is showing off about spinning out, burning out tires, and gloating about getting cited for these actions... I think there is a time and place to drive aggressively - and that is usually done off-road, on a track, or under professional supervision. Spirited driving is fine, but not when you are performing silly stunts that can potentially risk the lives of others.

I hope you exercise some more care on the road.

Byron

13. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim

I know... I need to drive more carefully....

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    ...and not gloat about it publicly

15. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

Or an F-40. :)

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    F-40 is a lot safer when it's in the shop :D

17. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Rick-
    Oh an F-40 I would DIE FOR!!! I would most likely kill myself in it though!!
    I'll let you drive and just strap me in... =)

18. sergiok

sergiok Rookie

Oct 14, 2004
    "Warm weather" can mean allot of different things. After temps get above 85 and the pavement heats up (direct sun), you can find that the higher temps actually cause traction loss.