Extending BMW warranty...any advice? | FerrariChat

Extending BMW warranty...any advice?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Entelechy, Dec 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    My wife's car, a 2001 325i, is at 48k miles and it will be at 4 years in Jan, so she needs to do this soon. She would basically like to know -- is it worth shopping around to the different dealers, or, is it the same price everywhere? Anything else we should know before extending?

Thanks!
    ~C

2. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This should really be in the Car Forum....
    But yeah, shop around. I remember talking some BS to a dealer for my M3 that if he gave me 10% off from my previous dealer, i would buy the next BMW off him. He bought it.
    Shame on me. :)

3. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Thanks Mike :)

It's been awhile since I've been on, and the car forums seemed pretty specific now, so I thought I'd go to "off topic"

Cheers,
    ~Chris

4. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No Wucking Forries.

Deal with these bastards. They want your money, and no matter what offer you say, remember, they are still making profit!!!!

5. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    I know! :)

My wife found this service called www.warrantydirect.com which seems to check out - might be a good alternative?

6. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    You have to be careful with aftermarket warranty companies, many of them will collect your premium, close shop, disappear, and then open another business under the name of a different entity..

7. gentry

gentry Guest

Best way to extend a BMW warranty is to buy a new one. 325is for 299 a month with 3600 down for 36 months.

8. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Thanks Kenny - we checked them out with the BBB and they seem to be on the up and up. They offer a 4 year, 100K warranty with the same exclusions as BMW for over 1K less than the 3 year/36K offered by BMW.

Still, as Gentry mentioned, perhaps it's better to buy new :)

Cheers,
    ~C

9. gentry

gentry Guest

if you have had as many problems with your as Ive had with my 03, but still like BMWs, I would suggest just getting a new one.

They have an awesome deal on the new 5 series too.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Shop the net, the aftermarket warranties are usually significantly cheaper than the 'factory' ones. I had an aftermarket on my last car and they did a great job, no hassles, paid quickly.

Do your due diligence to be sure it's a stand up company, but the factory warranties have little benefit to you.

11. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Good to know - thanks Jim!