I need some help [99 or 00,360 purchase] | FerrariChat

I need some help [99 or 00,360 purchase]

Discussion in '360/430' started by porsche997cab.owner, Dec 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porsche997cab.owner

Dec 6, 2004
    I am really worried about maintance....

I am ready to step up... what are the 10 things I should look out for. Could the 360 owners tell me some of their pittfalls? I love the 360...but I am so scared of a 5K repair bill in the first month I get it. What should I plan to spend over a 3 year period?

Mark

The 997 cab comes in May....

2. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    o get an intelligent answer you will need to be more specific. What year, is it F1 or manual, how many miles, what service has been done and of course any result of a mandatory PDI prior to buying it.

A later year 360 would be more desireable. The 360 is the most trouble free Ferrari ever built. Also, you now can buy a extended warranty from Ferrari provided the car meets its inspection requirements.

3. porsche997cab.owner

Dec 6, 2004
    Sorry, I should have been more specific...

I want to spend USD $115K...the lower the miles/km's the better. Manual or F1 is fine by me...

4. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Still need more specifics about what work has already been done, how many miles is on it and how many you intend on putting on it. Are you doing the work yourself? If not, then if it needs to get a clutch while you own it, then there is your $5k bill. If it needs cam variator/timing belt replacement, there is another $4k bill. Brakes/rotors another $2k. Major service due? The list can get lengthy so probably best to find the car first, assess what needs to be done in the short term and start to build your forecasted maintenance costs from there.

Of course, you should reserve an allowance for "just because it's a ferrari and it wants to have a tantrum" fund just in case. Hopefully you won't need it.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

'01 F1 here, owned it almost 1 1/2 years and no problems. Fluid changes are the only maintenance I've done. Luckily I had some warranty left when I purchased so I could feel comfortable with that for a while. The only thing you can really do to protect yourself is make sure you go over it really well, PPI or someone that really knows the car well. Good luck.

6. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Can someone list any known generic 360 'lookout' items (such as headers, valve guides, etc. on a 355), if any, rather than maintenence items?

I guess I'm curious too since the 355's were applauded as such a 'reliable' car from the 348's when they first came out, but when they started to age they too had specific issues. Now that 360's are beginning to age, perhaps the reliability/bulletproof factor will go down - so anyone with information please post !

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    owned 99 360M here....no problem.
    solid as a rock.

8. budman

budman Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Buddy Delaney
    December production 1999 F1 model with 16,000 miles.Love the car since purchase 8 months ago and have had no problems.F1 shifts great and clutch is only 58 % worn. Had belt service done @ purchase earlier this spring.The other 2 360 owners here ( both purc. this year 2000 and 2002 ) have not had problems either.Good Luck

9. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    early 360 F1. Not a single problem. 13k: haven't checked the clutch, but planed on replacement sooner or later, will also need tires soon. I've put 6k oon the car in the last 6 months. they are to drive, and if the cost is an issue, either buy a 355, and keep some money in reserve for maintance or buy a porsche. I'm not being elitiest, but that is just the way it is with ownership of a Ferrari, and if you're not with the program, this may not be the car for you.

Art

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There have not really been any pattern failures with the 360 like there was with the 355. The fleet is getting old enough at this point to tell. Before this time in the life of the 355 fleet we knew of most of the signifigant problems. The one notable exception to this is of course the cam variators, and even that is a small (percentage wise) failure, and Ferrari is IMO doing the right thing and replacing those at a favorable deal to the owners of the cars in question.

I think Art's and budman's comments on clutch life are representative for F1's that are driven by knowledgeable owners and I hope all the misinformation on that topic will die down.
    There have been problems with the F1 system itself, especially on early cars but nothing that cannot be fixed or should not have been taken care of already.
    There have also been grounding problems that caused problems with all the electronic systems, but like the F1 sys, if those have not been dealt with already, they can be easily.

Despite the early growing pains that are experienced with all Ferrari's I think the 360 is, and history will show it to be, a great car.

My general advice with all Ferrari's is to buy the newest and best one you can afford and to be sure to have a person very knowledgeable with the 360 and is also properly equipped (owns an SD2 and knows what it is for) do a PPI.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Excellent advice. Can we refer people to this post when we get these questions AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK??????

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sure, just give me a slice of the consulting fee.

13. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Lets face it your buying an Fcar youll need preventative maintenance. but for $115,000 you wont find a desireble 360 maybe a 99 or 00 w/ 20-30 k on it
    I have a 00 with 5400 on it ive been told its worth 125-130k these cars are highly mileage sensitive.. so if your buying one with 20k and is 4-5 years old youll need a major real soon. if its been done you are gonna want proof. good luck

14. mlabiche

mlabiche Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Aroud Geneva Lake - AKA : Heaven
    Full Name:
    Marin Labiche
    Hi all

Planing more or lessa 360 in a couple of year I am already in search of advice.. Well to be fair I have gallons for the time being reading thr F-Chat community. Nevertheless I would like to know :
    1-What is more precisely a PPI. I mean is a Official inpection protocol from Official Dealers ? If So who control the officials when they sell second hand car ?
    2-Does PPI exists in Europe (and idealy for Swtizerland). If yes what's is name and what's the legal implication of it (I mean if something goes wrong after a "Good" PPI, is there any legal actio possible

Once again thanks a lot and enjoy the Ride :)
    Marin

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    PPI is an abreviation for Pre Purchase Inspection. There is nothing official about it.
    You should have one performed on any used car you are contemplating buying.
    It is meant to protect you from buying a bad car and any recourse you may have would depend on your countries laws.