If you could win only one race... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

If you could win only one race...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sjb509, Dec 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I would have loved to win the Daytona 200, best I ever got was a 10th there. Started the F1 race at the TT, but didn't finish.

Art

2. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Definitely Monaco because while the others have lost some of thier aura, Monaco still continues to hold its mystique, glamor and historical significance.

3. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    For me toss up between Carrera Panamericana or Mille Miglia. Would require time travel however.

Otherwise Le Mans. Struggle with Monaco as a current race but if I could have done it in, say, '66 then would go with that (time travel problem again, though).

Cheers
    Kevin

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Neat question. I have given this much thought and although when I first read the question I jumped at the answer of Le Mans, I have decided that I would like to win the Monaco GP. Very close decision though...

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Easy for me, Le Mans. In the rain.

Now, coming back off the top of Mt. Ego, I've made the decisions in life that kept me from being competitive in racing and am happy with my "also ran" status in NCAR...

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Way cool, yep the Mille Miglia proper would be an all time amazing win ... those were real races where the racer's had balls!

Pete

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Exactly how I feel. That's modern day, of course. IF we're talking vintage, it's gotta be either Targa Florio or Mille Miglia...very tough decision.

--Dan

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I don´t think Monaco would do it for me. If I were to win it, it would mean I were to drive it and I think Monaco is more for spectators than it is for drivers. As a driver it is just too frustrating to wiggle your way through down town Monte Carlo with about 850 HP at your disposal. Great if your a spectator, rubbish when your a driver. So, Monaco is off the list then.

I don´t dream about winning the Indy 500 either. Allthough I have high regard for anyone taking part in that monsterrace, it is just a bit too much of fueltactics and turning left for my taste.

Nascar just doesn´t rock my boat. No Daytona 500 for me.

Same goes for motorcycles, so no Isle of Man TT either.

But then there´s the 24 heures du Mans and now you´ve got my full attention. This one has got to be it. Just imagine, running down the Mulsanne-straight in a high-powered Ferrari (could it be a 333 SP please? It screams beautifully). Even with the chicanes, speeds are awesome and to top it all off the track has some nice corners as well. The 24h format is a bonus too. It must be something truly special to race at dawn, following a night full of racing exitement and everything that allows this race to be oozing with atmosphere. Wouldn´t it be a dream to play a major role in this amazing drama, and play it in a Ferrari 333 SP? Le Mans definately takes the cake.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Check out the current issue of RACER magazine. They have an interesting article that poses a similar question: A fantasy championship to crown the master of all motorsport drivers. To do that they put together a list of THE pinnacle races in motorsport. Of course Monaco and the Indy 500 are in that list. Oddly enough they left out Le Mans (which caused me to write them a letter) and threw in some US races. But apart from that their list is similar to the sentiments you made in this thread.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It would be the Le Mans 24 hour. That is one hard core race. The drivers, cars, and pit crew, all have to be at their best, other wise you won't even finish the race. My second choise would be to win the Dakar Rally. That is even more brutal.

11. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Indy 500 for me.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Indy 500. "The greatest single day spectacle in the world."

Monaco is definitely cooler but Indy is a childhood thing.

DL

13. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Le Mans 24 hour closely followed by any race at Spa Francorchamps.

John

14. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I can see that none of you guys have ever done an endurance race. The longest one I did was a 6 hour (at Ontario Motorspeedway) and we got 2nd. I've done some 4 hours, but don't consider those endurance races though.

Endurance racing means running at a pace that the vehicle will survive the entire race. That generally means about 90 - 95% of what the vehicle can do. Maintaining discpline at that level is very hard, especially when someone is going faster than you around the track. It gets boring after a very short time, in my humble opinion.

Art

15. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    I take Monaco.

The Indy 500 is very historical, but winning it recently (after the CART/IRL split) doesn't mean ****. It's a bunch of no-names, has beens, and never will bes.

16. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
  17. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    HMMMMMMMMMM interesting one, but for me LeMans !!!! Definitely NOT the TT, seriously dangerous. Respect to all racers that go there !!!

18. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    I would take Le Mans. Simply getting there is an accomplishment in itself and means that you are one of the best in the world.

that, or maybe the Race of Champions.

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I would take the time transporter back and win Monaco, LeMans, the Mille Miglia and the Targa Florio. :)

20. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Phillip:

I walked Brae Hill after the race in 88. Noticed that all the houses along the road had steel piked fences. Since we were going about 150mph that year I wondered if anyone had gotten into the fences, but didn't ask the neighbors. Last time I rode there.

Art

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    But you have to admit that "endurance" races have become 24 sprint races during the last decade or so. The cars have become that reliable. Le Mans is a sprint race now, so is Daytona, so is Sebring.

A win in the context of this thread should mean OA, if you win overall in a sprint race driving the top class car, you'll be doing a lot of passing, not getting passed a lot.

Yes, you will be driving the car at 95%, but then again, even the F1 cars don't drive at 100% for the entire race, there is pacing at every level of racing.

22. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    The Rat Race.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    LeMans.
    In either a V12 Ferrari or a V12 BMW.

24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    LeMans. In one of the GT40's.
    Cannonball Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash in the Jag XJS.
    Monaco

25. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    2000 yellow 360 -> re endurance racing: we've participated in endurance racing but not with cars - but in 24 hour motorcycle enduros. These were 2 people, one bike. John rode and I was part of the pit crew for the guys. Last one done was (many years ago) in the Davy Crockett Forest east of the Houston area. The guys scores were all so close at all the check points so in order to spread them out a bunch of gals in bikinis set up an entertainment/beer stand out in the middle of nowhere during the middle of the night - it caught a number of riders and low and behold was a check point not far ahead. John & Jeff didn't fall for it. Another good one was in Weatherford, TX when the property owner sported a gorilla costume and lurked in the woods, unfortunately the son portion of a father/son team somehow managed to run him over but fortunately the gorilla wasn't hurt.

Your comment is definitely well founded about "Endurance racing means running at a pace that the vehicle will survive the entire race".

Carol