vandalized, but got lucky | FerrariChat

vandalized, but got lucky

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rimoore, Dec 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Last Saturday night I took the 308 down to La Jolla, CA. Whilst I was spending my time in a local pub. Some moron(s) bent my antenna in a few places. Needless to say it's broke. I suppose I'm lucky that my car wasn't keyed or worse. I just can't understand why someone would damage a car like that. I found an aftermarket replacement thank goodness. The lesson learned here is to lower your antenna if you don't have a fully automatic one. If I ever catch someone doing anything to my car(s). My posts will be coming from a local jail :).

Rick

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I think the last place I'd voluntarily park my Ferrari is in front of a pub! Even in La Jolla. It's just a bit too tempting for a passing moron - drunken or otherwise.

You DID get lucky!

3. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

A certain amount of violence in me is awakened each time I read a post about someone vandalizing a Ferrari.

GOD DAMMIT WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!

There should be a law in the statutebooks in each of the 50 states against vandalizing a Ferrari.

I'm not a believer in the consequentialist/deterrence philosophy of punishment, but this is a special case. Any person convicted of vandalizing a Ferrari in any way should have at least one finger cut off. Maybe two or three. Cruel, yes--but I guarantee you no one will be vandalizing Ferraris. :D

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the used to hang horse thieves. should be the same for car vandals and thiefs.

5. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

hanging is too good

6. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    #6 ashsimmonds, Dec 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    show them the rosso they're made of. :)

me too. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason

Or any car for that matter, you did get lucky. I'm glad im finally outta high school, somebody keyed up my VW for no GD reason known to me. Not a Ferrari but still looks horrible since I buffed it all out cept for about a foot of it that was deep in the paint

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Seems the last two vandalisations happened in the san diego area. Maybee on the east coast we dont park our cars out in the open witout security or car culture in CA is suffering a serious lack of appreciation in its birthplace.

9. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Well, parking your f car in front of a pub is asking for trouble I think unless you know the place and the people there well.

10. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Actually it was parked a few doors down in front of the art gallery. Looks like a pager alarm is going in this car soon.

Rick

11. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    just jealous *******s. They know its the only way that they can one-up you. I looked into a device that actually connects to an alarm, and sets off a pepper spray type trigger. I thought about the concept of being able to trap a thief in your car and then launch this stuff while simulataneously locking the doors (of course they would have to have the doors shut, but most thiefs that are in your car will shut the door because it draws less attention then an open door). The only problem with it is that they say the stuff could possibly stain your interior...not happenen. Somebody needs to invent some kinda of electric fence to knock those *******s out, then knocked out again once you get to your car.

12. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
  13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A bent antenna isnt too bad.
    Someone from home school who was studying in Athens had to leave early last week because he and some friends tipped over a smart car when they were drunk.

14. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Just missed the moron, my wife and I were at George's on Sunday morning eating breakfast, after eating, we walked past the F-car dealership and my wife gave the thumbs down to every F-car there, she is old school like my myself.

I was brave, I parked a block away from where we were eating. No problems. You have to figure on a Saturday night, there are punks out there drinking. Probably had alot to do with what happened. I am very sorry this happened to you.

I knew a friend while at SDSU that hard wired a key switch mounted on the outside next to the entry door, this deactivated the detonator to the C-4 he had underneath the driver seat. It was an old Ford van and I even saw the C-4 myself. He told me that if and when someone would break into his van, the thief has 30 seconds to deactivate the switch or else.

15. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
  16. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Richard,

Next time, try parking right in front of Georges or Valencia Hotel (in the valet spaces) and ask the valet to leave it right there in their valet space while you hand him a $20. They don't want the keys. Works everytime for me and there are 5 valets standing there watching for vandals.

Dino

17. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Ditto!!! Where can I get one?? LOL

18. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I'm not a psychologist, but it seems to me that jealousy is the outward representation of this type of behavior, but internally it really stems from insecurity.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In South Africa I saw a driver activated device that released spring loaded bars that swung out from under the car breaking the shin bones of whoever happened to be standing next to either side of the car. Probably a liability issue in CA.

20. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Yeah, kneecapping the meter maid can't be a good idea.... :D

21. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.

22. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is a liability issue in CA. You cannot defend yourself against any crime without risk of being sued. The criminal has more rights. That is why so many punks take their frigging chances against our cars. Everybody has rights except us.

23. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I'd have to say that’s one of the downsides of owning a F is having to be so careful where you park. I know some guys in previous similar threads have said don't worry about it , that’s what insurance if for. Well, I’d just as soon not go through the hassle and I like original parts on the car.

24. 308dino

308dino Rookie

Jun 15, 2004
    Hollywood Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Dino
    How about a Proximity Sensor Alarm.

If someone gets to close the alarm tells the person to “back away from the vehicle” and if they don’t the alarm will go off. I think you can add a proximity sensor to most alarms for under $100.

25. vimal_enzo

vimal_enzo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    VMLN8R
    Well in South Africa you can equip your car with a second gas pedal. Press it, and flames completely surround the outside of your car. it is legal in SA, because the flames cause only 3rd degree burns. I'm surer there is way of remotely activating this.