FerrariChat.com Outage Information... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Outage Information...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Dec 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Whew, glad to see it's back.

My boss thanks you for the increased productivity today.

Dom

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #27 tritone, Dec 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rob -
    Glad to see you got the site back up; I had to go do real work when I couldn't surf 'n post!

Amazing how much you can get done without just 1 day of FChat......got coat #19 finished!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Maybe Rob did that on purpose to see how much we need the chat to breath Ferraris stories to survive...
    Glad it's back on line, thanks Rob
    Roland
    F40LM

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Saw Rob at D&B tonite briefly before headed home to work on the site - it was pretty clear he only had one thing on his mind - getting the site back up! - Thanks!

5. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for all the effort Rob, must be mamoth, its well appreciated!

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Does this mean all the bikini thread pictures have gone if thats so there is nothing else to live for

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Really glad it was nothing sinister that brought Fchat down. Welcome back Rob,and bravo for the super effort to get everything fixed so quick.
    Rgds
    Tony

8. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Nice one Rob :) although Collette wont agree :rolleyes: i managed to renew an entire staircase yesterday and she had plans for today, not anymore F-CHAT is back :D

9. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Only if your RAID array (and other hardware) supports it, and even then you need to be careful. That said, your data's safe.

RAID - Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. Sadly the backplane they plug into is rarely that cheap, depending on RAID level.

Mirroring is RAID level 1 incidentally (and there are 10 levels altogether).

People take tape backups additionally as these can then be located elsewhere, so if your house burns down (or web hosting site), you still don't lose anything. Tape is also easier to store safely (and for longer) than HDDs, and replicating data to hard drives across a wide area network starts to get very expensive. Belt and braces. I know of some banks that replicate data to different sites AND take tape backups, copying the tape backups to different locales also. Now *that's* OTT.

Enough boring stuff, thanks for getting it back up Rob.

10. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

Rob,

Hard drives should not go out once a year by any means. If they are telling you that then they might need to get better hardware to sell you. How many drives have you lost in the last couple of years?

11. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    agree. Hard drives should last a lot longer then a year. (unless the server is a new IBM x345 and your reseller failed to get the 24x7x365 warranty doc to IBm so they can send a replacement causing a flurry of phone calls on a Sat night @ 1:30 am to get a replacement..)

Raid 1 the application server and raid 5 the data server.

Also, the bestemployee link is down still.

12. F40Lover

F40Lover Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    Hard drive failure after 1 year means many things. First rule of thumb is how cool is the room? HDD failure is due to excessive useage of I/O data or internal heat. I have one computer that runs in extreme heated conditions like from 35C to 41C. I can not use air cons as it will cause other problems. I use lots of case fans designed to move air. if the air temp inside the case is too high the fluids inside the hard drive heat up causing it to slow down and then you have what is called CRC errors. An old trick to get a drive to work after failure is to put it inside a plastic bag, inside another plastic bag totall sealed, freeze it over night then put into computer and if it fires us download the data to another hard drive using a dos based program. There are many good recovery programs out there. I formated my C drive by mistake and I used a program call Get Data Back and I recovered about 95% of the data. The best back up is of course RAID but I use another seperate computer as well so that there are no chances of data failure. In all my testing of computer hard drive Seagate has excelled them all in terms of durability and they use a fluid bearing that is double encapulated to protecty against heat faliure. The best case for a hot environment is made by a company called Cooler Master. Yes there are systems that use water to cool but in a corporate environment I can not afford to blow a hose. There are special systems in Europe that have an actual airconditioner in the bottom of the case to cool the system. I have ordered one to play with as it wil cool the CPU to SUB-ZERO temps. We tried building a system using liquid nitrogen to cool the motherboard --- but after 4 hours of running the system was TOO cool and literaly froze up!! It was an old system anyway.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Status...

Host is still working on piecing together the corrupted back-up, but doesn't look good so far. He's going to give it another couple days, then if no luck we're sending the drive off to a recovery shop.

Right now the following are down...

As of this morning many of my custom pages under Resources and the View all Sponsors is back.

If in two days, we have to send the drive off, then I'll reload the banner ad and chat room software. I will also get my email back up and the alternate domains.

We've lost about a drive a year, but this is first time the backup was corrupt. Not sure the root causes, but the hardware to this point is PC based, not Enterprise level hardware. We were planning on upgrading and especially are now and will consider RAID or at least a viable backup process.

14. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

That sucks.

15. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Thanks for your commitment Rob!

Your shopping list should mention:
    - RAID 1 (mirror with 2 discs) for the operating system and the www-service.
    - RAID 5 for the database/files (3 or more SCSI-discs in hot plug mode)
    - multiple power-supplies / fans

Security:

I hope FChat is protected by
    - firewall (? surely there is something like that :)
    - connection limit on the www server
    - check how user accounts (banned) could get hijacked by last spammer
    - quota
    - logfiles on a seperate disc
    - antivirus shield on the webserver

Don't hesitate to PM for questions ...

forza

cinque

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i have back ups of all my pics. :) :) :) :) :) :)

including the super SECRET ROSSA THREAD !!!!! :) :) :)

17. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I guess we cannot tell someone to check the archives now. :(

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My email is now back up, looks like I got most emails, except those from 10am to 10pm CST Sunday. If you sent an email in that time, please resend it. Thanks.

Right now the following are still down...

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Rob, wanna have Kimble whacked?

:D

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Na, I don't think Kimble had anything to do with this outage. Just a hard drive failure.

21. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Ferrari101 is up! I had chronic DTs too - thank you thank you Rob for your hard work...

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, www.thebestemployee.com and www.ferrari101.com are working again.

Right now the following are still down...

• Old FerrariChat.com Search and most posts.
    • All images prior to Sunday.
    • Banner ad software.
    • Chat room.
    • Php accelerator software.

23. 360gt

360gt Rookie

May 24, 2004
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Neal
    when will the NYC showroom pictures be back up?

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    10% chance within 2 days
    80% chance within 2 months
    10% chance never

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Is it a matter of time until they're recovered, or are they permanantly lost(gawd I hope not!!!)