Tires for 550 | FerrariChat

Tires for 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by lewiemail, Dec 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lewiemail

lewiemail Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    I posted this in the technical section previously and got no replies, so maybe I'll do better here. I have a 99 Maranello with Michelin tires that need to be replaced. Any opinions on the best replacement: Michelins vs. Pirelli vs. Bridgestone vs. others, for normal daily driving? I have the stock rims.

2. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Other people here will voice their opinion but it seems to me the choices are pretty ltd unless U go with the 19" rims and corsas. The PS2's are Ok for street. The toyo RA1s should be pretty good for fun runs. The Pirelli Rosas may be the best choice. How do you drive?

3. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I had the pirelli rossas and they wore out pretty quickly...i went with the michelins this time and really can't tell much difference. The also seem to do better when it is wet.

i remember a few threads on this about 6 months ago...try a search.

4. lewiemail

lewiemail Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    I drive twisty mountain roads in CO and high speed highway forays on occasion.

5. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I am going to give the Toyos a try. The car is in for a tubi, alignment, BMC and tires rt now.

6. lewiemail

lewiemail Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    Thanks for the response leading me to the forum thread that discussed this issue previously!!

7. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    What is that thread? Thx.

8. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Has anyone tried the Goodyear tires that were an option on the 550's. They were a run flat tire that had a bladder inside, supposedly very expensive.
    How many miles do you guys get on your Pirellis P-zeros?
    The dealer told me that most people change the front tires to every two sets of back tires. I would think changing all of them ensures no problem with dry rot or out of date tires.

9. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Personally I was never happy with the P2's. The compound is rather soft so you get initial good grip but they wear out quicker. So unless you track your car alot or don't mind replacing your tires frequently I think the Michelins' are better. I have the BFG's on the car now and they are ok. I also had the P2's on my Porsche in the past and the tires would flat spot overnight which caused a bumping for about the first few minutes in the morning driving off to work (which used to annoy me so I may be biased). No experience with the Goodyears' on my 550, just the racing slicks for my Formula Atlantic so no thoughts there.

10. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Really? Which type (and size) of Toyos have the 550s required load ratings?

11. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ON MY 550, I HAVE BRIDGESTONE SO2, I THINK THEY MAKE AN SO3 NOW, I LIKE THEM BUT DONT TRACK MY CAR OR DRIVE IN THE RAIN

BRUCE

12. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    SO2s here as well, POS in cold damp weather, decent otherwise, a bit less wooden at dry cold temps than PZeros. Can't comment yet on grip at mild or warm temps.
    I regret that the S02 profile looks too roundish, car looked more planted on Pirellis, but that's a secondary consideration.
    Bottom line: will probably try SO3s next time.

13. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Mine 98 came with Michelins, but don't remember model name. By the time the fronts wore out, the Michelins were no longer in production so had to switch to Pirellis P-Zero Asymmetrico. Did not notice much difference. So I assumed at that time the two tires had similar qualities.

When I switched to Pirellis I learned my lesson and bought an extra set of fronts just in case the Pirellis also go out of production. And about two months ago I replaced the front 70% worn Pirellis with the extra set I bought before. Wow noticed a big difference in grip, even though these are identical tires with similar manufacture date.

It seems the semi-worn Pirelli on the car had hardened quite a bit, while the same age but unused and newly mounted tires had much softer rubber. Just goes to show you that any perception of difference in tire characteristics may be more due to hardening than design difference.

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Can't agree more with you on this one. I think max perfromance tyres have a limited shelf life on the car. The solution is simple, drive hard and frequently so you need to replace them regularly.

15. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    LOL. That's my solution with Michelin slicks on Formula Renault. Maximum 130 laps and they are toast. Funny thing is with new slicks I actually go slower for the 1st 7 laps or so until I adapt my braking to maintain maximum corner speed.

16. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Agree. I replace after heat cycling takes its toll, tread gets hard. Wear is irrelevant when only thing between your butt and the pavement is tires. 2-3 years max. Look at it like cambelts.
    S02's or Mich. better than PZeds, Pirellis are rocks unless really hot, and breakaway is very abrupt. S-02/Mich much better, more gradual breakaway. I agree about the S-02's being a mild PITA when it is cold, but a couple miles of heat and F1 zigzagging early help greatly.
    We are due for new generation of tires from Pirelli, Brig again, about every 7 years.
    Runflats suck, I had them on the Z8, threw them away and put Pilots on.
    FWIW

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I found that the P Zero Rossos wear much better (slower, that is) and handle considerably better on spirited drives than the Assimetricos. Can't say I've tracked either, but they seem quite grippy and have a considerably more progressive break away.

--Dan