It's so good.... | FerrariChat

It's so good....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Steve R, Dec 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    It's been about one week since bringing home the 355. As rotten luck would have it I got pretty sick with some nasty flu/cold and the weather has been lousy. But finally, tonight I took my wife out to a nice dinner and we took "the new hotness"....

So I'm criusing down the freeway at a peaceful 70 mph and I see some lights of a sporty-car coming up behind me. It's a rice-burner with one of those huge exhaust tubes. He pulls up next to me and looks over....then he hits it and starts pulling away from me. With the slightest increase in pressure applied to the gas I effortlessly catch up to him (perhaps he needed a even larger exhaust tip??)...

So I match his acceleration and notice another hot-dogger coming up fast behind both of us, some kind of BMW. The Beamer moves past us and I let him get about 20-feet in front. At this point I'm upto 85-90 and the Beamer is probably pushing 100.

So I lean over to my wife with a big old grin (sorry Dave, this story doesn't involve Road-Head)..and give her the nod. I say "tighten your seatbelt, I'm dropping this ***** into some lower gearing and we're about to make the jump to light-speed"...

Now...I don't recall whether I went from 6th down to 5th or 4th.....whatever I did came instinctively, but it was profound. The exhaust burst aloud proclaiming the impending doom which was to lay waste and put to rest the undeniable thirst these cars have. Oh yeah, it was time to bring online the full potential of those 40 humming valves and open up a can of whoop-ass.

The 355 just pulled away from those cars and just plain put them in the rear view mirror so fast it wasn't funny. In fact, it happened so fast it was almost of no consequence.

After putting significant distance on both fallen prey....I decided to let up. A quick glance at the speedometer showed me dropping down through 140 mph....and I the 355 wasn't even near slowing on the acceleration!!!

Eventually the rice-burner and BMW caught up. Both drivers had a HUGE smile on their face and gave me the thumbs up. We cruised until our offramp.
    I'm still blown-away at how easily this thing runs at speed. At 140 mph it feels like most cars at 85 mph.

Ya know...this thing could become real addictive...ya think? :)

2. enzoz2

enzoz2 Karting

Oct 25, 2004
    NorCal
    That's sounded awesome if not a little dangerous. I'm envious. They were probably in heaven just listening to your engine.

3. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    Excellent posts, just what i like to read!!

Nice one - glad you showed the ricers.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Steve,
    i trust you have a decat Tubi so they experienced the 355 at it's best?

5. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Nice experience isn't it?
    But beware who you do this to as you need to beware of those Imprezzas and Evo.s as they are so fast in their acceleration.
    Had a humiliating experience with against an Evo. once.

6. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

If you miss a gear they seem fast. They can put all the mods they want on one of those gernade motors, they just aren't that fast. I haven't raced one in my 355, but I have ass raped many of them in my Viper and they are no faster than a Ford Lightning. Sorry, don't want to hijack.

Sounds like fun. Get used to it. Everybody wants to say they beat a Ferrari.

7. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    But the nice part was that the other guy was cool about it, when he caught up (after I shut it down and cruised back to 70mph) he was all smiles, thumbs-up & happy. He could have flipped me off or given me the hateful look.

I'm a bit tied in modifying the exhaust. I keep struggling with the notion of spending $3,800 to just blow a few more decibels out the rear. Despite whatever income I have...I just keeping working the value-per-dollar and find myself coming up short for that kind of money.

The other issue is this: the only time you want that noise is when your on the hammer and want to sound loud. All the rest of the time it's about the music and enjoying yourself. My wife is already mentioning how loud it is...do I really want to take it louder????

I've heard that I can take some baffles out of the stock exhaust, that ought to make it a bit louder. Either that or wait for a deal on a used exhaust. I'm sure the tubi/Capristo sound great...but what about after a couple hours and when you wanna enjoy some sweet tunes as you cruise up the coast.

HEY, this thread was about cookin' rice. And Tony...where's my larger picture of those two hot-asses??? you promised!

- Steve

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #8 tonyh, Dec 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    ahhh....just ass promised :)

got any front-shots of that? I was so impressed I had my wife take a look. Ah the wonders of spandex & lycra!!! :) :) :)

10. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    Have you put a Tubi on the 355? If you thought your smile was big before;)

The 355 is another timeless masterpiece that shall stand the test of time:)

11. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    I have kids in Camaro's all the time giving me hell. As long as you find the right gear to drop to and stay on the gas and don't let up you will either beat them or they will give up at 120-150 mph. I had a Vette duke it out with me one day until we got to 150 he then was getting nervous and I was full on throttle. At 170 I noticed he was wayyyyyy back. One way or another you can have fun with 'em all. The one thing I love is to get in front and let them hear the Tubi's....

12. enzoz2

enzoz2 Karting

Oct 25, 2004
    NorCal
    Looks like the F355 is a beast at the top end. One would assume a Corvette, in theory, should be able to keep up with a 355 to each cars top speed. Does anybody have both a C5 and or C6 and a Ferrari F355 or 360 Modena? Can somebody confirm which is more stable at a higher speed? My money is on the Fcar, but I'm sure a ZO6 could handle it.

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Wow Steve. Sounds like you had some fun!

See, now if that were me, I would've gotten pulled over and ticketed--severely. I'm the guy who gets pulled over for all the stupid things: turning right on red, making an illegal U-turn, or making a turn during the wrong hour of the day on a Manhattan street (pulled over by a cop on foot).

As a driver with 14 points on his license, I am jealous of your high-speed escapade! Those days are over for me--at least, for a long, long time :(

14. Monkie

Monkie Karting

May 1, 2004
    I would have my money on the Z06 pulling away from the 355 easily at any speed and being just as stable at high speeds.

15. enzoz2

enzoz2 Karting

Oct 25, 2004
    NorCal
    Like I said, I'm sure a Z could handle the F355. Curious about a C5 coupe and F355 though.

c5- 345hp, 350tq
    f355- about 380hp and 270 lb ft
    ...or something similar... so I know they're close in power even though they differ in every other characteristic.

16. Monkie

Monkie Karting

May 1, 2004
    355 would eat a stock C5 for lunch IMO. The C5 is nothing power wise if you ask me. The 355 isn't anything amazing by far...but has alittle more "umph" in it than a stock C5 coupe. I'm talking about on top end not torque.

17. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Well...since I didn't get a 'vette (like the millions of other guys who score a few bucks)....I'm both inclined & obligated to dis 'em.

The vette is like any other American car. It looks like a sports car, it has your typical high horsepower American muscle that can pull out and pull some good speed, BUT you can't turn 'em, you can't brake 'em and aside from a straight-out stretch of highway...the F-car will toast 'em.

The F-cars are based on true race car evolution. The vette is all about GM trying to make what looks like a real sport car. When you get them upto speed, the F-car is at home and stable as a rock....the American car makes ya wonder what your life insurance policy is rated for.

This thread was just about my first experience being "challenged", just sharing an experience....didn't want to turn it into brand competition thing. I'm sure there are plenty of faster cars. I bet there's a few VW bugs with HUGE engines that will leave me in the dust. No biggy. What I've learned is this: there's power, speed, handling and all sorts of categories to address...BUT there's just something about a Ferrari and the experience that can't be captured, labelled or understood until you own one.

...and that's all I have to say about that. Life's like a box of chocolates: you never know when a Ferrari will come screamin' and make you drop the box.

18. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine came with factory sport exhaust.
    I am quite impressed with the sound and allowing others to hear her roar.
    I resist the racing types and leave to the rice rockets. For now at least. :)

19. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a 360 and my friend has a C5. Might be a fun test? Maybe I'll have to try it, in the interest of science only.

20. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Coming out of my neighborhood there is a stretch of farm land that has nothing but twist and turns. The other day my neighbor in his new vette tried to keep up. He absolutely was lost in the turns. Now he may have been a bad driver but he is a sports car fan. Quite a few times he lost his rear end but he may have not been "driving" right.